XPO | Re-Inventing the Wheel

hog,claw,etc. then don't complain about damages,i was told new penn is the only part of yrc that makes money,THEY FLOOR LOAD, and if there are any damages,the supervisor has to answer for them,add to that the "flatbed freight" that we shouldn't touch,the bags they pickup without cardboard under the stretchwrap,etc.,shoddily packed or wrapped freight

The purpose of these folks is to keep forklift drivers on their lift moving freight. They have a set amount of doors they are responsible for and they build decks and add dunnage and straps so the freight flow doesn’t slow down and the dock doesn’t get full of staged freight. They aren’t there to boss anyone, that’s what the sups should be doing. Judging by the amount of stacking, lack of strap usage and trailers loaded with all the safe stack bars at the ceiling I’d say they are needed.
Good luck finding a trailer with working safe stacks

hog,claw,etc. then don't complain about damages,i was told new penn is the only part of yrc that makes money,THEY FLOOR LOAD, and if there are any damages,the supervisor has to answer for them,add to that the "flatbed freight" that we shouldn't touch,the bags they pickup without cardboard under the stretchwrap,etc.,shoddily packed or wrapped freight
Yes , XPO city drivers pick up BAD freight. It's up to the origin terminal to nip that in the bud , the account executive for that terminal , the dock workers on the dock , the FOS's , the TM. You get the point.

The problem is if you went to any one of those responsible and mentioned something about some bad freight from a specific customer , nothing would change most likely.

TM is probably struggling to hire dockworkers , drivers , CSRs , FOSs , etc.

Account Executive is invisible with a territory that is too big which gives them an automatic excuse to be invisible.

Dockworkers just don't know , don't care ( typically ) and can't be taught to care or what to do with bad freight ( in a dockworkers case it requires the help of FOS or other management to empower them )

FOSs and drivers ( especially drivers ) KNOW BETTER than to pick up bad freight. Some have even refused it before ( only to see it show up later on another driver's trailer ) FOSs seem to have just given up.

Yes , XPO city drivers pick up BAD freight. It's up to the origin terminal to nip that in the bud , the account executive for that terminal , the dock workers on the dock , the FOS's , the TM. You get the point.

The problem is if you went to any one of those responsible and mentioned something about some bad freight from a specific customer , nothing would change most likely.

TM is probably struggling to hire dockworkers , drivers , CSRs , FOSs , etc.

Account Executive is invisible with a territory that is too big which gives them an automatic excuse to be invisible.

Dockworkers just don't know , don't care ( typically ) and can't be taught to care or what to do with bad freight ( in a dockworkers case it requires the help of FOS or other management to empower them )

FOSs and drivers ( especially drivers ) KNOW BETTER than to pick up bad freight. Some have even refused it before ( only to see it show up later on another driver's trailer ) FOSs seem to have just given up.
Ever have 32ft pieces of pipe to put in a trailer??? I have. All because the AE said they had to pick it up. I refused to load it.

I was told recently we will be working towards hauling only profitable freight. I hope its true and we drop some of the freight that always ends with a claim.
We lost our biggest outbound customer 18 months ago because we didn’t make money on them. They kept our trailers full, nice, square, heavy freight. No money to be made. Sucks for my barn, but better for the bottom line. This is one reason that after more than 13 years, I’m 8 out of 10 linehaul drivers. We can’t seem to “grow the business”.

We lost our biggest outbound customer 18 months ago because we didn’t make money on them. They kept our trailers full, nice, square, heavy freight. No money to be made. Sucks for my barn, but better for the bottom line. This is one reason that after more than 13 years, I’m 8 out of 10 linehaul drivers. We can’t seem to “grow the business”.
Supposed to hire more salespeople. They cut too many after the takeover. Have new position between salespeople and CSRs that is responsible for communication with customers day to day about their freight and its status.

Will this help? Or is it lipstick on a pig?
f9sluiy.jpg

iGTsy9C.jpg

Last edited:
Trailer filler accounts change companies all the time it sux but that's the way it works in ltl

$400 million spent on technology yrly, 100 big data scientists and 1600 technologists. Should be able to invent something for that kind of money? I don't know maybe that's typical for companies of this size.

Remember when they decided to haul LTL at TL rates to fill the trailers? We worked ourselves to death, but they didn't make any money. There's no point in hauling freight for practice.
I agree. Why haul freight and not make money, either because it is not profitable to begin with or the freight is always damaged and we pay out too much in claims. With that said, how about sharing the wealth with a good size raise for everyone (not just drivers) and some real profit sharing? I can dream, right?

Supposed to hire more salespeople. They cut too many after the takeover. Have new position between salespeople and CSRs that is responsible for communication with customers day to day about their freight and its status.

Will this help? Or is it lipstick on a pig?
f9sluiy.jpg

iGTsy9C.jpg
If you know anyone that gets one of these jobs I believe the training is in Texas. For a week.

The salesman use to, at one time, hit the dock. So they could see the B.S. they put on us. That program should be re-instated. A nice trip on a long linehaul run and some outbound dock work once a month might shape them up.

Last edited:
The salesman use to, at one time, hit the dock. So they could see the B.S. they put on us. That program should be re-instated. A nice trip on a long linehaul run and some outbound dock work once a month might shape them up.
This could/should apply to nearly everyone who does not drive.

Program long time ago - think it was called "Walk a Mile in My Shoes" allowed people to see what someone else's job was and the effort that went into doing that job.

This could/should apply to nearly everyone who does not drive.

Program long time ago - think it was called "Walk a Mile in My Shoes" allowed people to see what someone else's job was and the effort that went into doing that job.
I've had our tm and ae out in the last year or so but I haven't seen or heard of any others (dock or csr) in a long time

Edit tm and ae for sales stuff