Re-Inventing the Wheel

Discussion in 'XPO Logistics' started by eBiTDa, Feb 21, 2018.

1. doubledonger

doubledonger Active Member

hog,claw,etc. then don't complain about damages,i was told new penn is the only part of yrc that makes money,THEY FLOOR LOAD, and if there are any damages,the supervisor has to answer for them,add to that the "flatbed freight" that we shouldn't touch,the bags they pickup without cardboard under the stretchwrap,etc.,shoddily packed or wrapped freight

sucker666 and icuicp like this.
  2. prezars

prezars Active Member

Good luck finding a trailer with working safe stacks

3. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

Yes , XPO city drivers pick up BAD freight. It's up to the origin terminal to nip that in the bud , the account executive for that terminal , the dock workers on the dock , the FOS's , the TM. You get the point.

The problem is if you went to any one of those responsible and mentioned something about some bad freight from a specific customer , nothing would change most likely.

TM is probably struggling to hire dockworkers , drivers , CSRs , FOSs , etc.

Account Executive is invisible with a territory that is too big which gives them an automatic excuse to be invisible.

Dockworkers just don't know , don't care ( typically ) and can't be taught to care or what to do with bad freight ( in a dockworkers case it requires the help of FOS or other management to empower them )

FOSs and drivers ( especially drivers ) KNOW BETTER than to pick up bad freight. Some have even refused it before ( only to see it show up later on another driver's trailer ) FOSs seem to have just given up.

highspeeds, snaildriver and sucker666 like this.
  4. upnorth

upnorth Super Moderator Staff Member

Ever have 32ft pieces of pipe to put in a trailer??? I have. All because the AE said they had to pick it up. I refused to load it.

ole man and icuicp like this.
  5. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

Pups are ALMOST 28 foot long. ALMOST....!

highspeeds, sucker666 and ole man like this.
  6. ole man

ole man Well-Known Member

More like 27 1/2’ inside.

highspeeds and icuicp like this.
  7. NewChunks

NewChunks Member

I was told recently we will be working towards hauling only profitable freight. I hope its true and we drop some of the freight that always ends with a claim.

highspeeds and sucker666 like this.
  8. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

Management , any management , for any trucking company , says this ALL of the time.

9. dalesr

dalesr Well-Known Member

We lost our biggest outbound customer 18 months ago because we didn’t make money on them. They kept our trailers full, nice, square, heavy freight. No money to be made. Sucks for my barn, but better for the bottom line. This is one reason that after more than 13 years, I’m 8 out of 10 linehaul drivers. We can’t seem to “grow the business”.

highspeeds, The magician and icuicp like this.
  10. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

Supposed to hire more salespeople. They cut too many after the takeover. Have new position between salespeople and CSRs that is responsible for communication with customers day to day about their freight and its status.

Will this help? Or is it lipstick on a pig?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    highspeeds and sucker666 like this.
  11. NewChunks

NewChunks Member

Trailer filler accounts change companies all the time it sux but that's the way it works in ltl

12. sucker666

sucker666 Well-Known Member

Much cheaper alternative vs hiring a new account executive.

icuicp likes this.
  13. snaildriver

snaildriver Retired

Remember when they decided to haul LTL at TL rates to fill the trailers? We worked ourselves to death, but they didn't make any money. There's no point in hauling freight for practice.

highspeeds, NewChunks and icuicp like this.
  14. Rollin

Rollin Active Member

$400 million spent on technology yrly, 100 big data scientists and 1600 technologists. Should be able to invent something for that kind of money? I don't know maybe that's typical for companies of this size.

The magician likes this.
  15. dalesr

dalesr Well-Known Member

I agree. Why haul freight and not make money, either because it is not profitable to begin with or the freight is always damaged and we pay out too much in claims. With that said, how about sharing the wealth with a good size raise for everyone (not just drivers) and some real profit sharing? I can dream, right?

16. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

If you know anyone that gets one of these jobs I believe the training is in Texas. For a week.

17. eBiTDa

eBiTDa No Beer, No Work

The salesman use to, at one time, hit the dock. So they could see the B.S. they put on us. That program should be re-instated. A nice trip on a long linehaul run and some outbound dock work once a month might shape them up.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Bloodwidow and icuicp like this.
  18. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

This could/should apply to nearly everyone who does not drive.

Program long time ago - think it was called "Walk a Mile in My Shoes" allowed people to see what someone else's job was and the effort that went into doing that job.

mota and NewChunks like this.
  19. NewChunks

NewChunks Member

I've had our tm and ae out in the last year or so but I haven't seen or heard of any others (dock or csr) in a long time

Edit tm and ae for sales stuff

20. eBiTDa

eBiTDa No Beer, No Work

There was a time when seeing a management type jump on a tractor and run out to do some P&D was not uncommon.

highspeeds, ole man and dalesr like this.