XPO | Re-Inventing the Wheel

I don't think there ever gonna get a handle on these damages. What were they in 2017 around 50 million? I no that's a lot of money but they only pay Pennines on the dollar. For years we've been complaining about loading pratacices and even had the top brass down watching but it's always cram and jam as always. I don't care how you get it on the truck just get it on it. All the heavies no what's going on and they no what kind of help they have. Ther just bouncing the ball with us dumb asses.

The scorecard rules supreme. The more freight moved in a signal trailer, equals more profit (according to the rocket scientist). Who cares if there are three drivers going home on empties. Who cares that a con-way crunched trailer equals more labor time to unload. Who cares that all the freight in that trailer has damage. Who cares if you are re-couping skid after skid. Stepping over dollars to pick up nickels is the name of the game.

Last edited:
The purpose of these folks is to keep forklift drivers on their lift moving freight. They have a set amount of doors they are responsible for and they build decks and add dunnage and straps so the freight flow doesn’t slow down and the dock doesn’t get full of staged freight. They aren’t there to boss anyone, that’s what the sups should be doing. Judging by the amount of stacking, lack of strap usage and trailers loaded with all the safe stack bars at the ceiling I’d say they are needed.

I think the main problem is to many congested mega FAC's in the system. Drivers working long hours on the dock leads to fatigue, hence less care on loading practices. This practice is just putting people in danger on a hectic dock where every one is going full throttle. Safety first.

Not true. Rework that trailer with the weight centered in the belly and the suspension will hold it " better ". Leading to a lower total weight reading after the axles are added up. Gaming the suspension is why some states weight the whole vehicle, not just one axle at a time.
gross weight is gross weight. no matter were you move the weight you total weight will be the same. When I was hauling equipment it didn't matter if the machine was forward, rearward, or dead center my gross weight was the same. I not sure were you get the my gross weight would be less just because I loaded it differently

True. Used to be a driver would get “promoted” to FOS. Not so much anymore. Now on the rare occasion that happens, the driver turned management usually quits, especially since they can no longer go back to driving (unless they want to start over with seniority).
if you really think about it what advantage would you gain by going to a FOS from a driver? Almost every driver makes more per year than a FOS and has a lot less headache

Does anyone believe the bull :::shit::: they feed us? Haul an account for 20 years and glad to have it, then one day walk in and say we aren’t making any money. That happened to our barn. Not buying it!!
Then explain how we made more money hauling less freight?

if you really think about it what advantage would you gain by going to a FOS from a driver? Almost every driver makes more per year than a FOS and has a lot less headache
Depending on your location , FOSs do a lot less. As an FOS ( again , depending on location ) you have a schedule that is more ridgid. Also your risk as a driver falls mostly on you , as an FOS , ideally , you take responsibility for those you supervise. ( But since XPO's system is broken , a FOS has little to no responsibility )

Then explain how we made more money hauling less freight?
Simple: XPO Logistics is spending less in places that are not as apparent to the average person ( investor on Wall Street ) Facility maintenance. Vehicle maintenance. Fleet renewal ( tractor and trailer purchases ) Wages and benefits. Safety. Sales ( after two years , XPO is hiring more sales people - there was an exodus of salesforce during transition to XPO ) ... Just a few places where a drop-off is obvious if you care to look

Trying to do more with less is fine. There's also a fine line between working to the max and over maxed employees.

There are consequences to running people into the ground ( or trying to )

Simple: XPO Logistics is spending less in places that are not as apparent to the average person ( investor on Wall Street ) Facility maintenance. Vehicle maintenance. Fleet renewal ( tractor and trailer purchases ) Wages and benefits. Safety. Sales ( after two years , XPO is hiring more sales people - there was an exodus of salesforce during transition to XPO ) ... Just a few places where a drop-off is obvious if you care to look

Trying to do more with less is fine. There's also a fine line between working to the max and over maxed employees.

There are consequences to running people into the ground ( or trying to )
is it spending less or controlling the spending? What I see is that it take a little long to get facility repairs done that's if your TM request the work be done. At one FAC he was not even putting in the work request. The vehicle maintenance part all I know is if I write it up it gets fixed and the service on the truck I drive is a hell of lot better then places I worked before. For the fleet at my barn we went from half the LH driver driving sterlings about 7 or 8 of them to no sterlings being used on LH out of 30 truck in our fleet we only have 4 left and they are used in the city only. If I remember correctly we have 4 2017 LH trucks we got last year.
The drop off I see is employee's not giving a ::shit:: about the equipment they drive or the freight, training for new hires sucks and driver and dock works to lazy to get off there azz off the forklift but instead just f-ing up freight.
We all want a raise the big question do we deserve one with all the damages that we have

is it spending less or controlling the spending? What I see is that it take a little long to get facility repairs done that's if your TM request the work be done. At one FAC he was not even putting in the work request. The vehicle maintenance part all I know is if I write it up it gets fixed and the service on the truck I drive is a hell of lot better then places I worked before. For the fleet at my barn we went from half the LH driver driving sterlings about 7 or 8 of them to no sterlings being used on LH out of 30 truck in our fleet we only have 4 left and they are used in the city only. If I remember correctly we have 4 2017 LH trucks we got last year.
The drop off I see is employee's not giving a :::shit::: about the equipment they drive or the freight, training for new hires sucks and driver and dock works to lazy to get off there azz off the forklift but instead just f-ing up freight.
We all want a raise the big question do we deserve one with all the damages that we have
If you know about problems and issues and I know about problems and issues at XPO , is it safe to say people running the place know about these problems too? And yet , theses boards are filled with the same old sh!t.

In my view , management is just as responsible as anyone else ( maybe more ) failure to act is setting XPO LTL up to fail.

gross weight is gross weight. no matter were you move the weight you total weight will be the same. When I was hauling equipment it didn't matter if the machine was forward, rearward, or dead center my gross weight was the same. I not sure were you get the my gross weight would be less just because I loaded it differently

It happens all the time. Rework a trailer that's over on an axle and go back across the scale to get your ticket and compare the numbers. Some of the weight " disappears " in the suspension.

If you know about problems and issues and I know about problems and issues at XPO , is it safe to say people running the place know about these problems too? And yet , theses boards are filled with the same old sh!t.

In my view , management is just as responsible as anyone else ( maybe more ) failure to act is setting XPO LTL up to fail.

Depends on your definition of fail. It's doing exactly what they want. Don't need docks hands or drivers or equipment. We just need more sales staff to get better money out of the freight.

It happens all the time. Rework a trailer that's over on an axle and go back across the scale to get your ticket and compare the numbers. Some of the weight " disappears " in the suspension.
Uh! Hum! Please explain how weight “disappears in the suspension”. I see it as “not possible”!

Uh! Hum! Please explain how weight “disappears in the suspension”. I see it as “not possible”!
It's the new magic leaf spring they are getting on the trailers.
Another way is for the driver to go in and take a ::shit::, that should drop a pounds, because you we all are full of it.

True. Used to be a driver would get “promoted” to FOS. Not so much anymore. Now on the rare occasion that happens, the driver turned management usually quits, especially since they can no longer go back to driving (unless they want to start over with seniority).

Why would someone want to take that kind of cut in pay and add that much stress to their life?? Not me...

We don’t have them in the Midwest either. They were the main reason for the late fac’s In our area. They demanded pick up at 8pm. It wasn’t working for us.

We had a couple of customers like that at NNC, they just stranded the freight and moved it the next day. Now I hear that anything picked up after 1800 is stranded to next day... no wonder they’re losing freight left and right.

Hey, I get my legal ticket my way, you get yours your way. So long as we got those little pieces of paper.... it's all good.