XPO | Re-Training on how to load trailers

They told us that XPO is taking a hard stance on damages. Holding the Regional and Terminal managers accountable. Response to this was that they shouldn't have told us that. People will be shredding ::shit:: like crazy until they get them all fired.

I asked the guy. How long until we all drive and dock hands work the dock. He says, you gotta work at Old Dominion for that. I said, good idea. He didn't like that at all.

They continue to believe holding drivers accountable for managements decisions will produce results. The system is broken. They want perfect trailers. Cube and weight. Refuse to do head loads or pures. Constantly reworking everything. Just to pull empties.

They told us that XPO is taking a hard stance on damages. Holding the Regional and Terminal managers accountable. Response to this was that they shouldn't have told us that. People will be shredding :::shit::: like crazy until they get them all fired.

I asked the guy. How long until we all drive and dock hands work the dock. He says, you gotta work at Old Dominion for that. I said, good idea. He didn't like that at all.

They continue to believe holding drivers accountable for managements decisions will produce results. The system is broken. They want perfect trailers. Cube and weight. Refuse to do head loads or pures. Constantly reworking everything. Just to pull empties.
Freight 101 - The more the freight gets handled , the higher the damages go

Freight 101 - The more the freight gets handled , the higher the damages go
Yepper.
Every driver that received their Masters Degree in Freightology knows that. (minimum of 8 years in the school of Hard Knocks.)
And those who have any common sense figure it out within their first couple years at the school of Hard Knocks, so maybe the boys with the pocket protectors that make the decisions need the same school that we all graduated from, and they'll someday figure it out.
Harvard and Yale never have specialized in common sense.

do a little research and look into the startup of the NUMMI auto plant from years back. GM brought the culture of faster produces the outcome we need... production numbers.
Toyota brought the culture of build it once and build it right, creating an efficiency of quality

fix our claim issue?
give people time to load it right the first time
hold them and management accountable for their actions at the point of origin, not 400 miles later
Create a "Team" culture on our docks
Team Leaders become "Process Experts", coaches and mentors of Freight Handling 101 and Haz-Mat compliance

No other LTL company has the tools and dunnage that we have to protect freight
we should borrow a motto from Ford, "The quality goes in before the door comes down"

do a little research and look into the startup of the NUMMI auto plant from years back. GM brought the culture of faster produces the outcome we need... production numbers.
Toyota brought the culture of build it once and build it right, creating an efficiency of quality

fix our claim issue?
hold them and management accountable for their actions at the point of origin, not 400 miles later
Team Leaders become "Process Experts", coaches and mentors of Freight Handling 101 and Haz-Mat compliance

we should borrow a motto from Ford, "The quality goes in before the door comes down"

The tools and dunnage are left overs from a time when this company was run by men that understood the industry.

What do kids out of college know about a days work ?

I think this is in reference to the drivers that show up to the FAC 2 or 3 hours late, not your half hour break. There are consistently guys who don't like working on the dock, showing up really late for no good reason and nothing is done about it.

And it's the same guys every time. Laughing in your face if you even say anything. Because they don't care at all.

The tools and dunnage are left overs from a time when this company was run by men that understood the industry.

What do kids out of college know about a days work ?

Age/experience is irrelevant when it comes to half assed lazy mistakes..at least at my barn. A lot of the problems we have to deal with on inbound comes from our own brothers at their FAC...the senior "men". They didn't have time to fix the freight but have plenty of time to come out on the dock and explain their stupidity before you open the door.

I do agree with you about 20-somethings of today (my generation). There is a serious entitlement and work ethic problem.

fix our claim issue?

Hate to break it to you, at OD we have the same deck system, same straps, but we also use air bags between skids. And we strap each piece of freight on the deck to the wall, not one across the back. Heck we even turn skids sideways on the decks to make them fit tighter and give more room for freight. I have never seen anything like how we load trailers on any Con-way dock. OD's processes and attention to detail in freight loading makes Con-way look like amateurs.

Hate to break it to you, at OD we have the same deck system, same straps, but we also use air bags between skids. And we strap each piece of freight on the deck to the wall, not one across the back. Heck we even turn skids sideways on the decks to make them fit tighter and give more room for freight. I have never seen anything like how we load trailers on any Con-way dock. OD's processes and attention to detail in freight loading makes Con-way look like amateurs.
From what I see of OD city guys on the street Song,they also appear to have been trained, and held accountable for their freight. They turn skids they pickup to save room,strap freight to the walls, and have ample straps and the deck bars to do it right. Most I see treat their freight like it is delivering to their house.