Re-Training on how to load trailers

Discussion in 'XPO Logistics' started by WHO KNOWS105, Feb 11, 2016.

1. highspeeds

highspeeds ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY

Then that would be the right thing to do in Con-way/XPO world. The most illogical, backwards, idiotic option is the one to take. Every time.

2. highspeeds

They told us that XPO is taking a hard stance on damages. Holding the Regional and Terminal managers accountable. Response to this was that they shouldn't have told us that. People will be shredding :shit: like crazy until they get them all fired.

I asked the guy. How long until we all drive and dock hands work the dock. He says, you gotta work at Old Dominion for that. I said, good idea. He didn't like that at all.

They continue to believe holding drivers accountable for managements decisions will produce results. The system is broken. They want perfect trailers. Cube and weight. Refuse to do head loads or pures. Constantly reworking everything. Just to pull empties.

3. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

Freight 101 - The more the freight gets handled , the higher the damages go

4. Northern Flash

Northern Flash Piss on our Flag, get a boycott against you.

I bet that wise guy won't use OD in his smart-assed responses again.
    :biglaugh:
    :1036316054:

Songremainsthesame likes this.
  5. Northern Flash

Northern Flash Piss on our Flag, get a boycott against you.

Yepper.
    Every driver that received their Masters Degree in Freightology knows that. (minimum of 8 years in the school of Hard Knocks.)
    And those who have any common sense figure it out within their first couple years at the school of Hard Knocks, so maybe the boys with the pocket protectors that make the decisions need the same school that we all graduated from, and they'll someday figure it out.
    Harvard and Yale never have specialized in common sense.

6. Merdock

Merdock Kool-aid-aholic

do a little research and look into the startup of the NUMMI auto plant from years back. GM brought the culture of faster produces the outcome we need... production numbers.
    Toyota brought the culture of build it once and build it right, creating an efficiency of quality

fix our claim issue?
    give people time to load it right the first time
    hold them and management accountable for their actions at the point of origin, not 400 miles later
    Create a "Team" culture on our docks
    Team Leaders become "Process Experts", coaches and mentors of Freight Handling 101 and Haz-Mat compliance

No other LTL company has the tools and dunnage that we have to protect freight
    we should borrow a motto from Ford, "The quality goes in before the door comes down"

7. catchTHErabbit

catchTHErabbit PRAISE THE LORD!and pass the ammunition PLEASE!!!!

can't we do what we want on our lunch break?after all it's MY personnal time correct?

Northern Flash and upnorth like this.
  8. upnorth

upnorth Super Moderator Staff Member

Safety first.

9. highspeeds

You take lunch on the way to the FAC ?

You need a nap before you even get there ?

10. icedriver

icedriver Well-Known Member

I think this is in reference to the drivers that show up to the FAC 2 or 3 hours late, not your half hour break. There are consistently guys who don't like working on the dock, showing up really late for no good reason and nothing is done about it.

icuicp and highspeeds like this.
  11. highspeeds

The tools and dunnage are left overs from a time when this company was run by men that understood the industry.

What do kids out of college know about a days work ?

PistonRing83 likes this.
  12. highspeeds

And it's the same guys every time. Laughing in your face if you even say anything. Because they don't care at all.

icedriver likes this.
  13. DSR86

DSR86 Active Member

Age/experience is irrelevant when it comes to half assed lazy mistakes..at least at my barn. A lot of the problems we have to deal with on inbound comes from our own brothers at their FAC...the senior "men". They didn't have time to fix the freight but have plenty of time to come out on the dock and explain their stupidity before you open the door.

I do agree with you about 20-somethings of today (my generation). There is a serious entitlement and work ethic problem.

14. draggin wagons

draggin wagons Member

They don't know. Hell, most of them think "manual labor" is a mexican.

15. Songremainsthesame

Songremainsthesame Well-Known Member

Hate to break it to you, at OD we have the same deck system, same straps, but we also use air bags between skids. And we strap each piece of freight on the deck to the wall, not one across the back. Heck we even turn skids sideways on the decks to make them fit tighter and give more room for freight. I have never seen anything like how we load trailers on any Con-way dock. OD's processes and attention to detail in freight loading makes Con-way look like amateurs.

icuicp and BIG R GUY like this.
  16. BIG R GUY

BIG R GUY The Trump,of Patel Consulting

From what I see of OD city guys on the street Song,they also appear to have been trained, and held accountable for their freight. They turn skids they pickup to save room,strap freight to the walls, and have ample straps and the deck bars to do it right. Most I see treat their freight like it is delivering to their house.

17. catchTHErabbit

catchTHErabbit PRAISE THE LORD!and pass the ammunition PLEASE!!!!

que pasa weido! que la chinga! no soy sus esclavo! pero quiero un tarjeta verde,puedes ayuda mi?