XPO | Re-Training on how to load trailers

remember it all about cube and cut times and now the linehaul gods are only giving you so many trailer per FACs no extra allowed. I have loaded trailer and have decked everything on it and only had 60 cube on it I can not help it when the skids are only 15 to 20 inches high and have DO NOT STACK on them.
:rulz:
easy fix,rip the sticker off

If they are going to hold me accountable for whatever I do, great. But only what I do. I want to be able to put my GoPro on the fork truck cage. With my experiences with the drive cam, I don't believe they will get this right. But we can hope.

Like I've said before nothing will change if the same kinds of people are at Conway
There may be 1 in 100 dockworkers who care about the job. But the solution is to find experienced dock/freight folks who understand the business.

The same FOS's who like to close trailers before they are loaded to show gate times will be running the show, so it will be more of the same.

Nothing like watching lazy SOBs drag a cardboard box along the dockfloor. By the time it gets to the customer, it looks like its been to hell and back. It's the most embarrassing thing trying to deliver that to a customer. Thanks P/D guys, you guys have cojones.

What is the point of strapping, blocking every single thing for a 100 mile ride to the FAC. Yes drums, hazmat must be blocked and braced but the time spent strapping everything is an absolute waste of time, especially when most linehaul runs are on paved, smooth highways. Freight would get out of the EOLs faster, so you are not ramming and cramming as the FAC winds down,

But it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

It's funny how there are two camps.

One is, we are all invincible. Drivers are a commodity. Do nothing and get paid for it.

The other is, numbers are everything to this guy. Either pull your weight or you are gone.

I wonder who will be right ?

It's funny how there are two camps.

One is, we are all invincible. Drivers are a commodity. Do nothing and get paid for it.

The other is, numbers are everything to this guy. Either pull your weight or you are gone.

I wonder who will be right ?
well duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, didn't you know I'M always right! just ask me i'll tell ya!!!! p.s stop posting i need to go to bed plus typing while tired makes me tpye weird stuff

I know there are a lot of really good hard working and honest people in this company but there is a lot of really lazy backstabbing people too. I've always thought they should have cameras on the dock.

They could mount one at each door and have it activate when the light is turned on. Well not everyone turns on the light you say. First time they don't sit down. Second time, meet with FOM. Third time, driver - OOS for a day. dockworker - get a day off. 4th, meeting with TM and Regional. 5th, Fired.

I've always said that just like when we open/close a trailer we take a picture that we should have to take 4 pictures(All sides) of the freight when we mark it damaged then as it progresses through the system it's kind of a tracker.

I know there are a lot of really good hard working and honest people in this company but there is a lot of really lazy backstabbing people too. I've always thought they should have cameras on the dock.

They could mount one at each door and have it activate when the light is turned on. Well not everyone turns on the light you say. First time they don't sit down. Second time, meet with FOM. Third time, driver - OOS for a day. dockworker - get a day off. 4th, meeting with TM and Regional. 5th, Fired.

I've always said that just like when we open/close a trailer we take a picture that we should have to take 4 pictures(All sides) of the freight when we mark it damaged then as it progresses through the system it's kind of a tracker.
My guess from day one has always been if there was a problem they would fix it. The fact that this is been going on forever leads me to believe that it is not as much of a problem as they make it sound? it's not their freight it's not their problem. I am pretty confident that if somebody sabotaged their equipment throughout the system, you could bet your ass they would do something ASAP.

I sure hope that they're smart enough to address the damages that happen on the docks. Running over the corners of freight with the forklifts and carelessness probably causes as many damages as loading trailers.
I've always felt that the majority of damages are caused by carelessness, bad attitudes, and the lack of perspective as to how that piece of freight connects a company to it's customers.

To some nuckleheads that I've worked with over the years, I think that their philosophy was......."The value of a good customer is soooo over-rated".
:regretful:

I Iike your point NF relative freight being damaged while still on the dock. And this issue certainly needs to be addressed if damages are going to be curtailed in a more extensive way...for sure. I haven't had the mandatory loading briefing yet, and I'll bet that the dock guys,(non drivers),were not called out specifically on the following point: That is, management should come right out and tell dock guys..."load p&D runs as if you were the driver who had to present these shipments, that you loaded, to the customers at their docks." Why would this kind of admonition help overall production, improvement on claims, and overall profitability? Let me take a swing at just a few obvious ways of potential improvement. 1) P&D loads should be loaded in order, not just putting freight into a truck any old which way just to hurry up and get another MM to one's credit. There is nothing more frustrating for a P&D guy to show up at a consignee's dock and have multiple shipments on board for a customer only to learn that one shipment is on the tail and one buried in the nose. 2) narrow plts. should be put on good plts that would receiver a normal plt jack. Not all DSR's have narrow jacks.3) Recouping: Shipments that are torn up , falling over, ripped open need to be fixed by however means ,( tape, shrink wrap, etc.), so that when presenting shipments to consignees, there will be a greater chance that that customer will accept their freight . 4) Securing shipments: Just the other day I had a two swps that were decked up and not secured w/ no plywood between them. When I got to the consignee's dock...the top swp had fallen down w/ newspaper advertisement inserts scattered all over the floor. It took about half an hour to recoup this mess and of course the consignee refused that plt. And management wonders why we have excessive 'dwell times' at certain stops.

Bottom line...dock guys need to get the big picture as what we are and do as a delivery company. They should be educated that their reason for working the dock at XPO is not just to make a pay check.

As far as o/b loading goes...I can't speak about it cause I go home after my P&D run , but I'll bet that there is a ton of improvement that can be had there too.

Why doesn't corporate set up some kind of training, extensive training school, on the how to and why freight must be loaded properly? I just don't get why not!!!

I'm a DWT(dock worker trainer). It's a five to ten minute conversation where you confirm that you understand OB53, the SWI for loading a safestack trailer. They told us the accountability part of this is coming hard and fast. Will it be perfect? Probably not but it's better than doing nothing, there's always room for improvement. In order to do it right people have to have three things. The Knowledge, the skill, and the will. This simply verifies the knowledge part. Knowledge and skill can be trained. Will is a different matter and its my understanding those people will be identified. The bigger part of this program is actually about standardizing the process of onboarding new hires. Dock workers and drivers alike. A problem has been that some terminals were doing 2 days of training, others were doing a week. Some kept you with someone others threw ya to the wolves so to speak. It's now standard, 3 days with the driver trainer doing videos, paperwork, and power points. Then 6 days on the dock with the dock worker trainer, regardless of whether your a dock worker or driver. First 2 days are no freight handling, trainee runs the handheld, learns about and assists with dropping decks, and freight securement with focus on proper procedure and WHY. Next 2 days trainee operates the forklift and handles the freight while the trainer operates the handheld, trainee still helps and learns about decks, dunnage, securement, etc. Last 2 days trainne does both freight handling and handheld with supervision of trainer. Towards the end of this training the trainee is asked to teach information back to the trainer to test knowledge and increase retention. The last day of the second week if the new hire is a dock worker they spend that day out with a p&d driver. The goal is to reduce damages by 9 million.

I've always thought they should have cameras on the dock.
One problem with this -

You would have to depend on the exact same people ( management ) that never fully fix or address the issues in the first place. You REALLY expect these people ( management ) to watch cameras of trailers being loaded and then do something if there's a problem?

They ( management ) aren't taking action when they are ACTUALLY there and you point out issues to them. From what I've seen and experienced , it's much easier to ignore a bad apple driver , bad apple supervisor , or bad apple manager. They get their hand spanked , sure , but the bad behavior continues and the problem becomes the person that complains about the bad driver , supervisor , or manager.

Like it was mentioned in a previous post and a different thread as well : those involved have to really care about their job ( the freight , the customers , the drivers they supervise and manage - the little things ) , the culture has to be one where what you do is important and the way you do it is something you take pride in.

It may sound corny , but I take pride in the fact that I do my job professionally and better than any other driver. It looks easy to someone watching me because I am THAT good ( at least most of the time ) I constantly try to do small things that lead to me being safe and efficient. I give an honest effort ( my best shot ) when I'm on the clock.

This is how I think of myself at work. The people that I'm friends with at work tend to fall along these lines - I've always gotten in trouble for not tolerating lazy-good-for-nothing-sorry-asses. After years of working here I have almost given up hope that common sense and hard work will ever be valued at this company with THIS management.

I'm a DWT(dock worker trainer). It's a five to ten minute conversation where you confirm that you understand OB53, the SWI for loading a safestack trailer. They told us the accountability part of this is coming hard and fast. Will it be perfect? Probably not but it's better than doing nothing, there's always room for improvement. In order to do it right people have to have three things. The Knowledge, the skill, and the will. This simply verifies the knowledge part. Knowledge and skill can be trained. Will is a different matter and its my understanding those people will be identified. The bigger part of this program is actually about standardizing the process of onboarding new hires. Dock workers and drivers alike. A problem has been that some terminals were doing 2 days of training, others were doing a week. Some kept you with someone others threw ya to the wolves so to speak. It's now standard, 3 days with the driver trainer doing videos, paperwork, and power points. Then 6 days on the dock with the dock worker trainer, regardless of whether your a dock worker or driver. First 2 days are no freight handling, trainee runs the handheld, learns about and assists with dropping decks, and freight securement with focus on proper procedure and WHY. Next 2 days trainee operates the forklift and handles the freight while the trainer operates the handheld, trainee still helps and learns about decks, dunnage, securement, etc. Last 2 days trainne does both freight handling and handheld with supervision of trainer. Towards the end of this training the trainee is asked to teach information back to the trainer to test knowledge and increase retention. The last day of the second week if the new hire is a dock worker they spend that day out with a p&d driver. The goal is to reduce damages by 9 million.
Rediculous, IMO.