New Penn | Reading terminal

SteelCurtain

TB Lurker
Credits
If someone is hired new at the Reading facility, can you get 40 hours or more during the 1st few years? How long does it average until you get a start time or a run? I am really considering putting in an application and trying to get in out there.

I hope everyone has all there fingers and can still type a response, HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!

Reading is always looking for good workers. I think you'll have no problem getting your forty, but that might change after Christmas. Slows up somewhat into March and April. You'll get work, but may have some days w/no work. I've been here since April of '93. I really don't know how long it takes now to land a bid or start time. Maybe a year or two. You need to understand you'll be mostly a dockworker for awhile until you grow some whiskers with the company. They'll give you some peddle work and some road runs to see how you'll do over-all while you are a casual. But they mostly want "workers". Starting out fresh with New Penn at a one seniority board terminal means they want people willing to bust their hump on the dock and not be expecting to come here and hold a steering wheel right off the bat. Stop by! The TM's name is Dan.

How much time driving do you need to have? I have less than 1 year but I have an outstanding work background and references. This sounds like something I would be interested in. SteelCurtain, did you get a job there?

Not sure on the required experience. Stop in at the terminal some time or go to New Penn Home Page. and check the job posting page. Or call Dan at the terminal. 800-234-8557 Terminal located on Rt. 61 one mile south of Rt. 222 across from Masano Mazda dealership.

You need to understand you'll be mostly a dockworker for awhile until you grow some whiskers with the company. They'll give you some peddle work and some road runs to see how you'll do over-all while you are a casual. But they mostly want "workers". Starting out fresh with New Penn at a one seniority board terminal means they want people willing to bust their hump on the dock and not be expecting to come here and hold a steering wheel right off the bat
Everybody working together?
Doing all the work necessary to get the job done?
Is still a master freight outfit????????????:hide: :hysterical:

Everybody working together?
Doing all the work necessary to get the job done?
Is still a master freight outfit????????????:hide: :hysterical:

Most companies hire now combo drivers what means you could do a little of both :chairshot: Road drivers are still road drivers and the combo is still city drivers....

Most companies hire now combo drivers what means you could do a little of both :chairshot: Road drivers are still road drivers and the combo is still city drivers....

I am going to apply this week at the Reading terminal. It's less than 1 hour from home but I really would like to work for a union company.

Do you think I will have a shot at being hired with less than 1 year experience? I have a great background and excellent work references & history. I have taken driving very serious & practiced countless hours off the clock. Not being conceded but I feel my driving skills are that of someone with 2-4 years experience, easily.

I really want to make the move too a union carrier and start having some protection from the nonsense that non union carriers give out. I just want some respect for the job I do.

Drivetolive,It would not hurt you to go up and put an application in.The way I see it you might stand a good chance of getting on.The next 2 to 3 months should get a little busier so now would be the time..I know in the term I work they have put on a few with very little work history in ltl freight..Do what Cando said and go to the website and go from there...Good luck.....CRAZY

As a casual employee, you will get your share of dock, city, and road work. Most of New Penn's terminals have one seniority list setups. If you don't have any whiskers, you mostly work the dock for awhile. After a year or two, maybe you'll get into an afternoon city peddle and finish your shift working the outbound dock. When you can bid the road, you don't touch freight, period. Not sure what the situation is like out there in Oregon, but sounds to be different than here.

Come on in and see, Drivetolive. Sorry for the repeat on my last post, but the guy from Oregon had me sort of confused by his post. Wasn't sure if he was being sarcastic or he didn't understand how our setup is. You say you are less than an hour from here? Good luck with gas prices being what they are. For my first nine years here, I commuted 36 miles each way. Then five years ago I moved to within a mile of the terminal and I love it. It's tough enough driving for a living, I don't need the hassle on my way to/from work also.

Come on in and see, Drivetolive. Sorry for the repeat on my last post, but the guy from Oregon had me sort of confused by his post. Wasn't sure if he was being sarcastic or he didn't understand how our setup is. You say you are less than an hour from here? Good luck with gas prices being what they are. For my first nine years here, I commuted 36 miles each way. Then five years ago I moved to within a mile of the terminal and I love it. It's tough enough driving for a living, I don't need the hassle on my way to/from work also.

Are you guys hiring at this time? If so, do you think I can get 40 hours? What's the payscale there? It's a 2 or 3 year timeline?