FedEx Freight | rebrand

This is not smart ass RC speaking.
If you leave with an overload and something bad happens, it will be you standing there in court in front of a jury being roasted alive by an ambulance chaser. You will lose everything that you have and if you don't survive this event, your estate will lose everything.

DON'T BE A HERO!

Think I'm kidding?
Ask the widow of our driver that hit the bus full of kids.
Very true, if you do something negligent ( not scaling and being overloaded), or illegal ( knowing your overloaded and running anyway) or something as silly as forging a signature , will most likely make you available to the industry, or standing in front of judge try to explain why you should not go to jail, all the while some Personal injury attorney is taking everything you worked for, or maybe you'll just be dead.

Been seeing G series vans that have be close to forty feet and just a single axle. RC said they were a commercial cops wet dream.
The only thing useful for the 40ft van is our inner city routes. That was the first steady route I had and it was on a G van. Now they run it on a pup go figure new breed of drivers now.

I thought we had gotten away from G-vans. They used to be the longest trailers AF had, in the early days. We still have one or two, all ancient.

Other than in "select" markets, it seems unwise to have such trailers. Far too easy to be overloaded, putting the driver in the uncomfortable position of refusing to pull them (justified), or to take one (risk) for the company. It is far too easy to overload a 40' G-van. Even more likely than a 53'. There are many drivers that will keep loading trailers until full, with no concern for the weight, thinking they are doing a good deed. We're not talking about just a few hundred (or a thousand) pounds over, either.

Did RC mention if these were new units, or old remnants from the past?
Seems I seen a new g-van at gsp just the other day.

Seems I seen a new g-van at gsp just the other day.
Great, new ones. Oh boy! :nono h4h:

I'd love to have one, every day. Then I could get off at a reasonable time. Maybe. I'll have to weigh one empty, but I think around 26,000 is the absolute max legal freight weight on one, unless you have a twin screw.

Great, new ones. Oh boy! :nono h4h:

I'd love to have one, every day. Then I could get off at a reasonable time. Maybe. I'll have to weigh one empty, but I think around 26,000 is the absolute max legal freight weight on one, unless you have a twin screw.
You are correct. The G vans (I only ever saw one once, on an unfortunate day that had me hitting TOL around 8am, and it was OLD) are basically really long pups, and the same weight restrictions apply to them. You could nose load a bit more with a twin screw tractor, but I don't think you could hit 30,000lbs.

We don't use equipment like that up here. Vans come in 3 lengths unless you're at Canadian Freightways or XPO. '53, '48 and '28. XPO has some '40 tandem axle vans and some '33 pups with lift gates, while CF still operates some of their old '32 Super-B lead trailers in the Rockies.

You could nose load a bit more with a twin screw tractor, but I don't think you could hit 30,000lbs.

Kind of irrelevant, since we have very few twins screws (almost none), but the tandem does increase the potential max load to at least 34,500. A little more, actually, due to the lighter weight of the trailer itself. The difficulty in LTL is keeping axles legal, and educating those responsible for loading.

Kind of irrelevant, since we have very few twins screws (almost none), but the tandem does increase the potential max load to at least 34,500. A little more, actually, due to the lighter weight of the trailer itself. The difficulty in LTL is keeping axles legal, and educating those responsible for loading.
Actually, we have a good bit of twin screws, they're just strategically placed at mostly economy hubs where they're used to move rail cans. Those centers can have upwards of 20+ screws whereas priority hubs may only have a handful.

Now to get back on topic, saw an orange "Ex" Freight pup at the CLT dock this morn...

eg2TnfL.jpg

Like @roogie said, it looks red in the pic but it's definitely orange.