ABF | Received my official letter in mail.

Thank you for those that are Teamster's that see a better future.

I am passionate about this pension issue and want to see the best possible negotiated contract. There are those that think that the negative 14 billion dollars that is not in the fund is insurmountable. But the truth is, this is a multi-employer pension and it has 15 years to become fully funded.

I believe that if we stick together and stay educated about the facts, we can overcome this. For example, with all Teamster's (in the Central State fund) contributing approximately twenty five dollars a month, this amount could be enough to fully fund the pension program.

This is an interesting thread even though I work at Yellow. If you guys don't mind I'll mention a few things.

ABF is attempting to negotiate directly with you when they send their BS to you in the mail. We are represented by our great Union, The Teamsters. I think it'd be a good idea to mail all of them back to Mr. D.

Negotiations will start soon enough.....I heard from a very strong source that Tyson J. has already told ABF that they can meet and talk anytime ABF wants to but ABF WILL NOT get one thing more or less than the NMFA. I wouldn't post this unless it came from a very good source.....trust me on this one.

Negotiations will start soon enough.....I heard from a very strong source that Tyson J. has already told ABF that they can meet and talk anytime ABF wants to but ABF WILL NOT get one thing more or less than the NMFA. I wouldn't post this unless it came from a very good source.....trust me on this one.

glad to hear this they 've got to much "flexibility" as it is. Seniority is virtually non-existent here.

This is an interesting thread even though I work at Yellow. If you guys don't mind I'll mention a few things.

ABF is attempting to negotiate directly with you when they send their BS to you in the mail. We are represented by our great Union, The Teamsters. I think it'd be a good idea to mail all of them back to Mr. D.

stldude44, I am trying to recall.... I think back in 1994 contract abf sent all of us a vcr tape. I don't remember what it wasm but it was all propaganda and it was suggested that we all send the tape back. Does anyone else remember this?

i dont understand why the union doesnt fight this bad faith bargaining??
It happens every time.....the Union usually files charges and the Companies agree to stop.....it's kinda like a non monetary grievance.....the Company loses but they don't have to pay so they keep doing it.

Happy Labor Day to all !!

As I review my thoughts on the pension issue before us, I believe we can all come together to negotiate a fair and equitable contract in 2008 - - if we all work together. Since we work together to make the company profitable, I believe we should ask that ABF come to the table to negotiate a fair contract in the upcoming negotiations.

I believe we work for the best company in the freight service industry and we provide the best service available and therefore we deserve a contract which reflects that. If we negotiate a contract we can all support, we will continue to be the best company and service provider - - and everyone will prosper.

Thoughts on the new contract

Here is what I think. The company seems to want driver flexibility, like our PSE drivers and con-way drivers, but they don’t want to give anything for it. Both PSE and Con-Way drivers have the weekend and holidays off but the company does not want to give us the same benefits those drivers are getting.
Another point is that YRC does not seem to be worried that they are going to go out-of-business if they don’t get driver flexibility; so why is ABF so sure that we will go out-of-business if we don’t get it?
Last point, has anyone heard Con-Way drivers raving about how great their job is? If not, then why would the drivers at ABF want a job like theirs? Why would we allow management at ABF to put us in the same boat with Con-Way drivers? Just because it is good for management does not mean it is good for the employees.
Personally, I think this idea that ABF will go out-of-business if we don’t get driver flexibility is just so much smoke. Every contract management uses the same tricks to try and scare the employees into giving them what they want. They have their best interest at heart, not ours.

stldude44, I am trying to recall.... I think back in 1994 contract abf sent all of us a vcr tape. I don't remember what it wasm but it was all propaganda and it was suggested that we all send the tape back. Does anyone else remember this?

We got the tape at Holland, it was our CEO trying to convince us the leverage needed and the bad state our industry was in. It showed a guy from ST. Johnsbury talking about making money and a few short years later closing the doors. The funny thing was we got a big drinking mug 3 weeks before the strike bragging about a record month, week and day of revenue and three weeks later we were on the picket line.

We got the tape at Holland, it was our CEO trying to convince us the leverage needed and the bad state our industry was in. It showed a guy from ST. Johnsbury talking about making money and a few short years later closing the doors. The funny thing was we got a big drinking mug 3 weeks before the strike bragging about a record month, week and day of revenue and three weeks later we were on the picket line.
lol, yes, I remember the guy from st Johnsbury. He was talking about how just 2 years earlier st.j was a very profitable company and all of a sudden they were bankrupt. He had such a serious look and tone about him, so that he was warning us of what would happen if we didn't give what was asked of us.

DB is right. I don't see any humor in a strike vote. This is serious business. The point of a stike vote is for the Union officials know well that we are ready to walk. Not a threat. Nor does it begin a strke. Union officials have to call a strike, normally when an impasse is reached. How will they know if we are willing to walk? A strike vote. With the way things have been over the last two years, (warning letters, suspensions and the like)I would be willing to wager for a unamious "yes" vote if put to a poll. This is the time we need solidarity. Go to your local union meeting, and keep yourself informed and ask questions.
Save your money.

So they say they want Union employees with ABF owned pension plan and medical. Hard times are coming save your money.With this reformed pension law we should all see a raise in are pension as all the funds are underfunded.The employer has to make up the differance to get the plan fully funded in 15 years.

You're exactly right brother. Hard times are coming. Save your money. Save a couple of extra bucks for the brother who might need a helping hand if we go on strike. I am.