FedEx Freight | Recent hiring practices?

ronnyvous1

TB Lurker
Credits
Has anyone noticed that, with the rapid expansion and growth we've had, the driver qualifications seem to have been relaxed...A LOT?

When AF came to town, they wanted 5 years verifiable, clean, wholesome REAL experience, with relevant endorsements.

In conversing with some of our new hires, I have noticed that there have been quite a few with shorter time and less T/T experience.

The results seem to be evident, a lot of minor accidents, dropped wagons in the lot, and unexplained scuffs on the equipment. There never seems to be any reprecussions, either, because we "need the manpower".

In all fairness, we have had some really good folks come on board, and everyone gets the jitters on a new job, but an LTL City peddle run is NOT the place for on the job training, especially for a company that professes to be World Class.

ronnyvous1 said:
Has anyone noticed that, with the rapid expansion and growth we've had, the driver qualifications seem to have been relaxed...A LOT?

When AF came to town, they wanted 5 years verifiable, clean, wholesome REAL experience, with relevant endorsements.

In conversing with some of our new hires, I have noticed that there have been quite a few with shorter time and less T/T experience.

The results seem to be evident, a lot of minor accidents, dropped wagons in the lot, and unexplained scuffs on the equipment. There never seems to be any reprecussions, either, because we "need the manpower".

In all fairness, we have had some really good folks come on board, and everyone gets the jitters on a new job, but an LTL City peddle run is NOT the place for on the job training, especially for a company that professes to be World Class.

I agree with you ronny, well, kinda. The market is driving the situation. There are so few driver out there, compared with the number of driving positions in the country. Truck Load companies have a 113% driver shortage. LTL market is not that bad but there is a huge shortage.
Also, when I started with Southeaster Freight in 1990, I didn't have 1 day driving. Worked around the yard for about 3 months, got my Class 5 learners, then 6 months later they went to CDL's. At that point I was droppin 20 stops a day with SE.
Really, if you pull a guy off the road with Swift, Schneider etc. who has experience driving, and throw him on a city route, he's not much better off than some of out new hires at FX.

Actually in our barn we have several new hires out of a local driving school, which is really no less experience than when A driver completes the apprentice driver program through Fed Ex. I don't mind if they hire in this manner, as long as they hold them accountable for damage as they would anyone else, which I don't think is happening because they need the help due to continued growth. Just make sure to do an excellent P.T. inspection including getting previous damage signed off by a supervisor so you don't wind up getting tagged for someone's learning curve.

It's a sign of the times guys. There is a very real driver shortage out there right now and all companies are feeling it

Seems like I am getting my dvr signed every day due to damage.Look at the equipment every piece has damage on them.:cuss:

spike said:
Seems like I am getting my dvr signed every day due to damage.Look at the equipment every piece has damage on them.:cuss:

While this is true, you really need to be concerned with fresh damage. Shiny scrapes,dent's or open wounds. protect your a**. Don't be bashful, if you see something that just doesn't look right then you need to communicate this or you are risking a written warning for something you didn't do.