Recent Negotiations

Oh yeah... NMFA is probably going down, at least in Local 81. Lots of unhappy campers on that one...

The difference between the NMFA and OHFL contracts are still pretty wide, so unless major concessions are made in the NMFA in the area of H&W or pension, I don't really see it affecting us too much.

I mean, I don't think you can get work rules any more flexible that what OHFL has, unless you simply eliminate work rules, which is something the VP's would dearly love, I'm sure...:biglaugh:

Lets hear it for today’s company pump. What a joke, OHFL trying to debunk the teamster "conspiracy theory" video. Nice try boys, too bad none of my questions/comments were answered satisfactorily. Why are they so dead set on telling us how good this plan is? Take off the blinders ****** management and look at your comparison, its like apples to onions. I was told that we cant sit here and compare the two plans....but what idiot wouldn't. ITS YOUR MEDICAL PLAN YOU D. D. D. We need to compare it because WE will be using it and getting screwed by it. Bill and David are reminding me more and more of puppets. They tell you to feel free to ask questions but when asked their opinion on things they just relay their advisory panels opinions. When I asked my supervisor who was bashing the teamsters health and welfare how he liked his out of pocket, his smirk went away, he stopped talking to me and walked away, does that not say anything?? I hope nobody bought that crap. Well thats my opinion for the evening enough thinking about work on my own time, fire away.

Yea I was looking at it, they're not similar at all. Most of the stuff in the last page, their plan doesn't even cover.

And it does sound like, from what I've heard, that the next negotiating dates will likely be somewhere around the very end of February or the beginning of March, mostly because of scheduling conflicts on the union side.

But in the meantime, we are still getting our H&W and pension paid, and we are all still working, so let's hope the committee keeps making forward progress with the Company when they meet again...

But in the meantime, we are still getting our H&W and pension paid, and we are all still working, so let's hope the committee keeps making forward progress with the Company when they meet again...

You don't have a contract, you don't have a grievance procedure, the company has bullied you into working past the expiration of the contract. The company has a vast array of anti-union rhetoric posted on the internet and has dispersed it among employees through other mediums as well. 3 days of talks, what has changed, what is "forward progress"? To me it seems like backwards progress, wow! they let us keep the things we had to begin with, for now.... Yay!

I think if the membership at OHFL is not willing to make a stand, as the unions must feel since they are so hesitant to take any real action. The members ought to take the advise of the company and follow decertification procedures then they can stop wasting our unions time and money, after all, nobody can make this stand for them.

This is the same way they have alway's negociated,same crap and they let you believe your getting something when actually your alittle less than the last contract.When i worked there the union was in the back pocket of the vanderpol's,and they the vanderpol's new it.It was they the vanderpol's who held all the card's as long as all local's involved were will to go along with it and im sure some of those local's got some kind of compinsation out of it as well.It's a shame to see such a great organization such as the teamster's as a whole go down for local's who get greedy.For myself i lost alot of respect of those who repersented us as well as not wanting to be a part of the greed.

Anyone else find it odd the those that those who p!ss and moan the most about the OHFL [lack of] contract don't work there any longer?

there is nothing positive to talk about when it come's to ohfl and their contract's,i dont know how long you have worked there {tothecore} but if you went thru the last two contract's you should know that each time they took more away and eventually it will not be worth working for them.THAT'S MY TWO CENT'S WORTH.

Nobody has posted anything on here about specifics yet, to my knowledge, so there is nothing to even talk about as far as what has been gained or what has been "sold away", as some of you put it.

Are there some locals who would sell away the farm rather than fight? Absolutely. But what you have to bear in mind is that the two biggest locals are fighting hard for their members. A rising tide lifts all ships, as they say. But don't paint all locals or all members with the same broad brush, because that simply isn't fair or right or accurate.

The membership of OHFL has identified the priority issues, such as full MOB in our Teamster H&W, pension bumps, wage increases, and work rule changes. The IBT has let the Company know that anything less are deal-breakers, and that there will be drastic consequences for playing games.

I would like to point out that according to everything I am hearing (and I hear quite a lot), that the Teamsters of Oak Harbor are sticking together better than they ever have before. They are holding up very well in the face of the Company propoganda onslaught. Better that well; they are telling the Company to go stick it in their ear, and I for one am proud of those who are taking such a stand.

It's easy to sit back at a distance with no real dog in the fight and poke criticism at the process, but remember this: it is a process, and it does take time to get to the goal-line.

What is the goal here? To get a decent contract? Or to put this company out of business? I would much prefer the former, but I will do whatever it takes, and so will most of my fellow employees, and of that I have little doubt.

Given the immense struggle just to stay in Teamster plan with full-paid benefits, I really have no problem with "staying with what we have", at least in the area of benefits, which in this day and age is far more than most people have, especially in the freight industry...

there is nothing positive to talk about when it come's to ohfl and their contracts,i don't know how long you have worked there {tothecore} but if you went thru the last two contracts you should know that each time they took more away and eventually it will not be worth working for them.THAT'S MY TWO CENT'S WORTH.
It is apparent you are miss informed as I have seen it the last 3 year deal was the best increase in wages ever received by the members at Oak. Also it was holding true M.O.B something no other freight barn in the west coat region has been able to do. And in fact their were NO give backs to the company in the last agreement the first time in 15 years!! If your going to talk smack do it with intelligence and not with misdirected energy that has no basis of fact. The last three year deal was the only one with no give backs and the largest increases in wages ever plus full M.O .B I dare anyone who's seen that deal to prove different . Oak will prevail again improving lives of its members or it will be dismantled by the members ( end Quote):chairshot::gathering: If you think this is not true lets post the last three year contract next to the one before it and the whole world will know your not being honest sometimes the truth hurts sorry:butt kiss: it amazes me how people post and dont have the facts. Sometimes the ttruth hurts even if its in your face:funky:: Correct me if I am wrong shifterknob!!!

It is true that OHFL teamsters have gotten the shaft for years. It is also true that since the two largest locals started working together, we have turned the tables around.

The last contract was proof of that, and I am optimistic that it will be the case in the current negotiations, as well. There are also other locals like 324 in Salem that are doing the right thing by their members.

I don't blame those who have been shafted in the past being skeptical, but at some point, you do have to have a little faith in the people who are trying to do the right thing, and throw a little support their way.

Otherwise, why even try any more? Are we all so skeptical and pessimistic that we are all going to throw our hands in the air and just give up, and not fight for what is right?

Well, I'm not that way, and I'll never give up fighting for what we need to have. We have made great strides, and as long as the Teamsters of OHFL stand up strong and show a little backbone and a little pride...

WE WILL PREVAIL!

It is apparent you are miss informed as I have seen it the last 3 year deal was the best increase in wages ever received by the members at Oak. Also it was holding true M.O.B something no other freight barn in the west coat region has been able to do. And in fact their were NO give backs to the company in the last agreement the first time in 15 years!! If your going to talk smack do it with intelligence and not with misdirected energy that has no basis of fact. The last three year deal was the only one with no give backs and the largest increases in wages ever plus full M.O .B I dare anyone who's seen that deal to prove different . Oak will prevail again improving lives of its members or it will be dismantled by the members ( end Quote):chairshot::gathering: If you think this is not true lets post the last three year contract next to the one before it and the whole world will know your not being honest sometimes the truth hurts sorry:butt kiss: it amazes me how people post and dont have the facts. Sometimes the ttruth hurts even if its in your face:funky:: Correct me if I am wrong shifterknob!!!

Every Teamster barn I know of has full MOB, at Con-Way they pay 1%. The wage increases were long overdue, they didn't even put you above your non-union competition. In your contract disloyalty is cause for termination as is poor performance. The attendance policy that was added to the contract is crazy, as a member could be fired for using the sick pay that has been bargained for them, thats your give back. To claim it to be the largest increase ever might be a bit of a stretch, maybe in actual dollars, but adjusted for inflation I am sure as a MF Co. OHFL saw some better increases in the 70s.

It is really dirty in my opinion that every contract year the owners avoid contact with the union and wait for it to expire, they want you to feel uncomfortable. They want you to be in constant fear for your job, and they want you to associate that burden with your union. The new contract should have a strike guarantee in lieu of the companies propensity to not bargain in good faith, if a new agreement is not reached prior to the expiration of the previous agreement its a automatic strike.

As far as the comments regarding my negativity, I reviewed your previous posts so I could enjoy some of your positive contributions here and I have to admit I am a little disappointed.

Yes, it is easy to sit on the sidelines without a dog in the fight and poke fun at the process. But, I should note, I am indirectly affected by the outcome of OHFL negotiations in a several ways. The first being I am a member of a local with a very small member base and OHFL is also covered by that local. So if OHFL was to decertify, lockout, close down ect. we would almost certainly have to merge not to mention the resources a action like that would drain from our locals bankroll. Also, concessionary contracts drag us all down. The fact is I do care, I do want a satisfactory resolution, but I am skeptical that can even happen given the disposition of the owners of this company, in my mind, I think they have gone well above and beyond any kind of reasonable provocation for a strike. The websites, the DVD's, the fliers, I find them offensive, and I feel they belittle us all. I have a hard time grasping how anyone who works for a living could rationalize or even downplay the severity of these actions.

silvertooth i think that was very well put and you hit the nail on the head.it's great to have teamster's who veiw everything with open eye's and a shame for those who only see what they want or hope too.

Section 1.04.2 of the OHFL agreement outlines protocol for organizing non covered units of the employer. Why is it that a card check neutrality is not outlined? Thats section to me appears no different than standard protocol for any organizing effort, 15 days for a NLRB election? It has been established at USF and at UPSF, the unionized arm of a company needs to stand up for card check language to protect their jobs, and to help employees that want representation achieve their goals.

As we watch UPSF terminals turn on a daily basis adding thousands of new freight Teamsters, 2007 was the first year of union rise in the 23 years data has been collected on the subject, last year unions added 300k+ members to their rolls. If the Employee Free Choice Act becomes law as it very well may, Card Check will become the standard and we will see even greater increase in membership. Card check is the difference between a fair fight and playing against a stacked deck.

From OakhAnswers.com
Q4. Can I still file a Grievance after the contract expires before the new one is ratified?

A4. Yes, the only difference is the company may not be required to go to arbitration regarding a grievance that occurs after the contract ends.

Q17. If I strike, am I guaranteed reinstatement after the strike?

A17. If there is an economic strike, Oak Harbor intends to hire permanent strike replacements. When the strike ends, permanent strike replacements keep the jobs. Strikers who seek reinstatement are placed on a preferential recall list, and they are reinstated as vacancies arise.

"...Every Teamster barn I know of has full MOB, at Con-Way they pay 1%..."

You are wrong. Not every Teamster freight barn has full MOB. Even in Master Freight, you don't truly have full MOB, as defined in the same way as the OHFL agreement.

In the NMFA, you have a flat amount of money dedicated towards H&W and pension. Your H&W increases determines whether or not you have any pension bumps at all, depending on the amount of the increases. Master Freight's pension was frozen for much of the last contract, was it not?

Reddaway's NW agreement is much the same way. Full MOB is not as common as it used to be in freight or in any other industry the union represents, and to have kept it as long as we have in this day and age is a testament to our resolve.

"...The wage increases were long overdue, they didn't even put you above your non-union competition. In your contract disloyalty is cause for termination as is poor performance. The attendance policy that was added to the contract is crazy, as a member could be fired for using the sick pay that has been bargained for them, thats your give back. To claim it to be the largest increase ever might be a bit of a stretch, maybe in actual dollars, but adjusted for inflation I am sure as a MF Co. OHFL saw some better increases in the 70s..."

Of course the reference was the best wage increase since OHFL left the NMFA in the mid-Eighties. It is the best increase (yes, even adjusted for inflation) that we have ever had since leaving the NMFA. Two contracts ago, we got a whopping $.06/hour wage bump.

As far as keeping up with the non-union competition, when you look at the overall package, it's actually relatively close (wages, H&W, pension). That being said, of course we see a great deal of room for improvement.

"...It is really dirty in my opinion that every contract year the owners avoid contact with the union and wait for it to expire, they want you to feel uncomfortable. They want you to be in constant fear for your job, and they want you to associate that burden with your union. The new contract should have a strike guarantee in lieu of the companies propensity to not bargain in good faith, if a new agreement is not reached prior to the expiration of the previous agreement its a automatic strike..."

Under federal labor law, the employer is not required to even begin bargaining with the union until after the contract expires. One of those little details you seem to not be clear on. Also, the IBT is not going to authorize strike action until certain steps have been taken, and that's just the way it is. If you have complaints about the process, I suggest you address them to the NLRB and General President Hoffa.

"...Yes, it is easy to sit on the sidelines without a dog in the fight and poke fun at the process. But, I should note, I am indirectly affected by the outcome of OHFL negotiations in a several ways. The first being I am a member of a local with a very small member base and OHFL is also covered by that local. So if OHFL was to decertify, lockout, close down ect. we would almost certainly have to merge not to mention the resources a action like that would drain from our locals bankroll..."

I understand your concerns, but you are coming at this without a lot of knowledge as to what is going on, and your completely negative opinions do nothing to help your brothers at OHFL. Try trusting just a little bit that your fellow Teamsters know what is at stake, and are fighting very hard to get a good deal. It may not be what you want to see, or even what I want to see, but as long as we maintain what we need to maintain, and move forwards even a little bit, we are making positive changes.

"...Also, concessionary contracts drag us all down..."

I don't disagree. I kind of feel that way about your vaunted NMFA agreement sometimes, especially the tentative deal currently being voted upon. Let me point out a few concessionary issues comparing OHFL to the NMFA:

1.) Hours needed to get benefits: Under the OHFL agreement, a CDL driver only needs 40 hours a month. Under the current NMFA it is 60 hours, and under the proposed NMFA, it goes up to 100 hours. Wow.
2.) Progression rate: Under the OHFL agreemet, an experienced CDL driver usually starts at 90%, with a one-year progression. Under the current NMFA, it is a two-year progression, starting at 75%. Under the proposed NMFA, it goes up to three years, starting at 80%. THREE YEARS!
3.) Work week: Monday through Friday at OHFL. Under the NMFA? Bye-bye personal life and family time...

My point being is that concessionary is in the eyes of the beholder, and the way YRC Corp. is looking these days, I think we all have a great deal to worry about as far as the future of freight goes. We don't need nit-picking, we need support.

"...The fact is I do care, I do want a satisfactory resolution, but I am skeptical that can even happen given the disposition of the owners of this company, in my mind, I think they have gone well above and beyond any kind of reasonable provocation for a strike. The websites, the DVD's, the fliers, I find them offensive, and I feel they belittle us all. I have a hard time grasping how anyone who works for a living could rationalize or even downplay the severity of these actions..."

Who is downplaying them? The IBT has stepped up to the plate, and the rank-and-file is showing more resolve than they have ever shown before, and I for one AM PROUD OF THEM! We will win this fight, and we will prevail, and all of the doom-and-gloom you and other naysayers try and cast over this process means diddly-squat to those of us who are fighting this fight!

Verey informative responces Shifterknob. Well done! I thought about responding but knew it wouldent be recived well . On another note I dont think the attendance policy at Oak is part of the contract is it? I was under the understanding that it was a stand alone company policy not attached to the formal agreement Lets all not forget to responde to the I.B.T e-mail and see if we cant get Mary Peters fired