Recording Music On Your Computer

slavenomore

TB Legend
PREMIUM
Credits
I'm old now....but used to record on old cheap Tascam Porta 4's and 6's..maybe 8's.
My kids are getting older and spend less time here......so maybe I'll be looking into this new fangled stuff.
Hobby for fun or interest.

Seems like a simple plan that might cost not too much.
Seems like ya need one of these interfaces and then some closed headphones and some monitors for your PC.
I might still have some good Mics in the attic somewhere if my stepson didn't get them.
the clips run right into each pother...first the setup and then recording guitar and bass...and then drums etc.

I'm old now....but used to record on old cheap Tascam Porta 4's and 6's..maybe 8's.
My kids are getting older and spend less time here......so maybe I'll be looking into this new fangled stuff.
Hobby for fun or interest.

Seems like a simple plan that might cost not too much.
Seems like ya need one of these interfaces and then some closed headphones and some monitors for your PC.
I might still have some good Mics in the attic somewhere if my stepson didn't get them.
the clips run right into each pother...first the setup and then recording guitar and bass...and then drums etc.
back in the day, i went to that site, Napster??? the after that, KaZaa..??? and downloaded lots of music, then made my own cd's.

now all i do is when i am driving my car, (i don;t drive trucks anymore), i listen to talk radio shows. even here at home, near my puter, is a prtable radio. during the day, again, it is talk radio.

i really used to like country music, but that is without a fickle industry. one day someone is a huge star, the next, they are retired.

so i haven't recorded anything frankly, since napster went pay for what you want.

and by golly,. that seems like over 10-15 years ago now.

back in the day, i went to that site, Napster??? the after that, KaZaa..??? and downloaded lots of music, then made my own cd's.

now all i do is when i am driving my car, (i don;t drive trucks anymore), i listen to talk radio shows. even here at home, near my puter, is a prtable radio. during the day, again, it is talk radio.

i really used to like country music, but that is without a fickle industry. one day someone is a huge star, the next, they are retired.

so i haven't recorded anything frankly, since napster went pay for what you want.

and by golly,. that seems like over 10-15 years ago now.
Check out Youtube lots of good music there and you're able to kinda create your own play list, I've listening to the "Trans Atlantic sessions lately, it's mix of bluegrass and irish music with stars from here and there jamming in small studios.

I haven't recorded in a while. I used this http://www.audacityteam.org/

With this.

What do you play?
I'm not very fast. not very fancy. Just like to strum some chords and start hummjing or making sounds into a tune with the chords....then maybe fit words into the tune.
Stress reliever.

I can play chords or solos.....simple stuff.
I can play bass...simple stuff.
I used to sing and make songs with a band who could play together fast stuff hard stuff.
Sometimes I'd come up with a tune and show them and they'd play it more complicated or fancy....
Neil Young is probably one of the guys I played easiest.
I think the adding drums is something that will complicate things for me....It's not my thing and probably will take a lot of time.
Our band played a lot of Skynyrd and Bon Scott Ac/DC.......too fast for me....but I sang the stuff which was not Bon stuff...we had a guy who played the Angus stuff on guitar and sung and sounded just like Bon Scott.
We did some of our own....which I had payed a guy with a professional studio to record us....It was about $25/hour and took like $1000 and a few Saturdays to do 4 of our own songs. There were 2 guitars, a bass, and a drummer plus me on vocals.
Otherwise we recorded a lot on Tascam used cheap stuff onto cassettes...that was about 20-25 years ago. A lot of our gigs were video tped...but the sound was like in a bubble..We were together about 5 years....I used to do some open mikes before that...we played at small bars, hotels, motorcycle clubs, private parties...at least once per week..sometimes twice.......not superstars but we took it serious and it was a great hobby...we got paid...but didn't really make money...it always went back into paying our band room rent and for equiptment.....the guys drank...so they always got tap beer for free...and that saved them a lot of money...I din't drink...so ended up paying for my O'Douls...it was bottled.
Motorcycle clubs would have us do their parties.......we had a lot of fun....
I think we usually got paid a total of $350 or so/gig....so we each got less than $50.
Plus we had to pay our sound guys.....although free beer was almost good enough for them.
But it was worth it.
I can't remember if it was 95,6,7,or 8....but it was a really cold New years eve and we played this place...we also played their members party which was a big deal to us and were booked for their big summer deal the year I quit.....
http://www.readingmc.com/events.html
think we played there 1-2 other times.
Not big nationwide...but hey...it was big to us...and a lot of fun.

Last edited:
This isn’t the same as recording your own music, but some of have trouble just playing a radio.

If you want music on your Android, that you can listen to without using your data, keep reading.

You can go to YouTube and find nearly any song you want. But you need to convert it from video to mp3.

This website will convert it for you, then hit download. It will save it to your computer. Before you do this, please follow this one simple instruction. If ANY pop up messages appear other than it telling you it is completed, close it out and start over. You can ONLY covert and download. You can’t name or rename. Simply paste the YouTube short url into the first line, mark it as a mp3, convert, download. It will tell you that you have many viruses, you’ve won somethings or you dog is held hostage in Bangor Maine. Ok. Last one was a joke. Point is do not click on these and do not click the “x”. Just back out and close out. Might take you a few times, but I have converted THOUSANDS of songs from this website. Here is your link.

http://convert2mp3.net/en/

Never have to use your data to listen to you favorite songs again.

I haven't recorded in a while. I used this http://www.audacityteam.org/

With this.

What do you play?
You got me searching and I found this.....really cheap..
Years ago I paid I think $125 or so for my Shure Beta 58 or 57...and now you get these things and don't even need power amps..mixing boards...or compressors or anything to go with them...which each item would've costed $50--$350...or more....and were bulky...damageable..and a lot of work to move around or put in vehicles.
https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/usb-microphones/

Wow...looks like they go for only about $40...that might be a good cheap place to start.
Who knows..if I ever get started..I might even stay with it.

Works for me, I run a backing track through a small Fender solid state amp and lay some licks on top of it with my tube amp and it records good enough for me. Got it about 4 years ago so I'm sure there are much better choices now, it depends how sophisticated you want to get. For me it's just a way of evaluating my playing. It always sounds different played back than when you play it, sometimes it's better, sometimes worse.

Works for me, I run a backing track through a small Fender solid state amp and lay some licks on top of it with my tube amp and it records good enough for me. Got it about 4 years ago so I'm sure there are much better choices now, it depends how sophisticated you want to get. For me it's just a way of evaluating my playing. It always sounds different played back than when you play it, sometimes it's better, sometimes worse.
Are there free sites that somehow you record on?

I don't know what you're looking for but my neighbor parks his stuff on something like reverbnation.com.

Are there free sites that somehow you record on?

I use the audacity software, you can download it for free. I haven't done for a couple of years so I'm rusty, but as I recall I used the "freeyoutubedownloader" to download the desired backing track from youtube, there's hundreds of them on there. Then you import the track into the audacity program and you can run the track and lay tracks over it. I can't explain it too good because I suck with all things technology so all this stuff is a real struggle for me. Fortunately I got a friend that's a tech support guy for a school district that helps me out. If you're pretty tech savvy or your kids are, you should be able to get it up and running.

http://www.audacityteam.org/
http://download.cnet.com/Free-YouTube-Downloader/3000-2071_4-75219434.html

24 below this morning. Not getting above 30 til next week. That ones coming this way Thursday, depends how it tracks could be 2' plus.
Coldest I've experienced is -14 at camp in NY, things don't like moving around much at those temps and it can only be worse at -24. Do you plug your cars in overnight or what?

Coldest I've experienced is -14 at camp in NY, things don't like moving around much at those temps and it can only be worse at -24. Do you plug your cars in overnight or what?

Got my pickup plugged in. I'm hunkered down, haven't been outside of the house for a few days except to feed the birds. I'm retired and I got groceries.