ABF | Recruiting temps for Carlisle

Just at the Union meeting yesterday.........Top rate for UPS feeder driver is $33.62 an hour,..........Package car is $28.75,.......No HAZ-MAT required,.....so the company isn't requiring you to pay out of your own pocket so they have the personnel qualified to haul HAZ-MAT,.......and charge the customer war-time prices for that highly trained personnel.......Just how Stupid is our IBT......"leadership"...?...Sorry,....Rhetorical question,....and the only valid answer is a varying quantifiable degree.........depending on how many examples of lazy, offhand stupidity they've committed in the last,.....Oh, say,.....10 years,......that you could think of in one sitting.......

Here in JC40, we made 41 proposed contract changes to our Supplement,... including re-imbursement for all out-of-pocket costs associated with HAZ-MAT endorsement,........prior to our last contract vote. We got exactly.......ummm....,..zero proposed changes. Supposedly, the Officer in charge of our Two Man committee, who, by the way, has NO freight barns in her Local,........wasn't able,......or didn't have time,....or any number of varying excuses,.... to get anything we proposed,......including no-brainers like re-imbursement for HAZ-MAT,......... added to the Supplement so we could vote on it. Come to think of it, our Two-Man committee, which is actually only comprised of one woman,.........has yet to sit down with the company to proofread our Supplement, so we could get our contract books that we've actually already had the Locals fill out the order forms for. I guess since she's the only person on the Two-Man committee,..... she's way too busy to be concerned about the piddling needs of the four ABF barns in this area,........so I guess until she deigns to find the time to be bothered to do her job, I'll have to carry around two bundles of blue-lined loose sheets and a ragged tattered copy of the old contract so I can cross-reference back and forth. I guess it's O.K. if I waste my time. I'm nowhere near as important as she is,.......all I do is just pay the dues. (....some people can't even be embarrassed into doing what they're supposed to do.......).

And.....,...I'm not even going into the discussion about certain employers who require their employees to spend their own money on something that SOLELY benefits the company, and allows them to charge their customers war-time prices to transport HAZ-MAT............Then we would get into the area of corporate morals,.......... or lack thereof,........ And,....since I just woke up, I don't have enough vitriol in my system yet to do justice to the subject. See me at the end of my work day.....

Yes as a matter of fact they do. Believe it or not they even pay for our medical card exams too.
I hadn't heard of any carrier paying for the HAZ-MAT certs before and I am glad to hear it. Do they cover all costs? Medical cards they all pay for as far as I know.

Con-Way
pays
for
HAZ-MAT
too,....or so I'm told.
(....I think that's five lines,.......Just trying to help...)
Aaaaaa a nice easy read this afternoon. And the more I look the less advantageous it is to work in a union shop. Now if I could only get my big mouth under control

Last edited by a moderator:
First you should ask someone at 042 whats going on before listening to roaddriver rumors.
Carlisle has been working 6 and 7 punches for the last 5+ YEARS...[thats right, I said years]
They cant hire enough to keep up. I didnt know about these guys from other terminals being brought in until today when I saw a bunch of guys Ive never seen before. You arent going to get guys to work for us when right across the street at OD they are paying casuals 24 per hour and we are paying 16.
Yes, abf is paying their room and a per diem and for a rental car. who knows what they are paying them per hour.
Yes, its deer season and 10% of the list is allowed off in seniority order. its been that way since I started in 1990. Abf knows that if they suddenly decided they werent going to allow time off for deer season they may as well shut down, cuz some of these guys would rather work on christmas day than work during deer season.
Why are they doing this? Who knows? Probably because they tried getting temps from an agency last year and that didnt work out so good. Also they dont seem to be shy about spending money anymore, are they?

First you should ask someone at 042 whats going on before listening to roaddriver rumors.
He did, he did, thank you for the information.
I read by the timeclock today that the terminal manager is trying to get some volunteer 145 full time/casuals to goto Carlisle for 3 weeks in December! Did they lay off there? Too many on vacation? Just that busy? What other reasonswould they be trying this? Have they done this before? What are you opinions on why they are doing this?

Are you kidding? Does OD reimburse you? If they do it they should advertise it it would be a plus.
We have it all wrong. Maybe not under a union contract, but all drivers should pay for their own CDL HAZ-MAT endorsement. Then every time they are asked by their company to HAZ-Mat they charge the boss 50.00. And if he says no, refuse the load or mark off sick & go home. Or find something wrong with your truck when you are out on the street that needs fixing before you haul the dangerous cargo, or anything else you can do to send that message. Won't take long to come to an agreement of being paid for (Hazardous Duty). I know, wishful thinking, but we as truck drivers will be the ones to effect change, no one else will do it for us. Von.

We have it all wrong. Maybe not under a union contract, but all drivers should pay for their own CDL HAZ-MAT endorsement. Then every time they are asked by their company to HAZ-Mat they charge the boss 50.00. And if he says no, refuse the load or mark off sick & go home. Or find something wrong with your truck when you are out on the street that needs fixing before you haul the dangerous cargo, or anything else you can do to send that message. Won't take long to come to an agreement of being paid for (Hazardous Duty). I know, wishful thinking, but we as truck drivers will be the ones to effect change, no one else will do it for us. Von.
I think you're on to something Bro.Von, but instead of using the ol' truck driver subterfuge to force them to pay you , stand your ground and say that the HAZ-MAT license is yours, as you've paid for it, and if they want to use it, they've got to pay your "going rate".

I'd like to see that one get to the Supreme Court and have some lawyer whip out the Commerce clause..........We'd be getting a surcharge on every HAZ-MAT load we haul,......and don't forget the back pay.