ABF | Red circle protection

In this proposal ABF is going to give red circle protection to anyone on the seniority roster as of April 1sr 2013. As a red circle driver let me tell you what that means. You will have protection against contractors. You will work if ABF uses them . But that doesn't guaranty you a premium run. I have been dispatched on 350 mile layover run with empty's only to bring the same empty's back to my home terminal. It didn't take long to figure out that they were just getting me off the board so they could dispatch contractors on 600 to 1000 mile runs. The best way to address this is to send them back to the table and eliminate the PT use. Just putting this out there so the new guy's who are thinking about voting yes for red circle protection its not what it seams

Under the contract proposal ABF is going to give red circle protection to driver's on the seniority roster upon radificatio
That is correct. And something that is implied but not outright stated is that for a time ALL DRIVERS WILL HAVE RED CIRCLE PROTECTION!!! On the day of ratification every driver on ABF seniority board will be covered by red circle protection. But the contract is for five years and when ABF starts hiring, those new drivers will not be red circle protected and the more new hires, the more non-red circle protected drivers there will be. Concluding in the the greatest number of non-protected non-red circle drivers just before the end of the contract. Also, there is the 2 for 1 retiring driver to red-circle driver. Meaning as 2 red-circle protected drivers leave, 1non-red circle driver will be added.

Case in point, letting the red circle in last contract is now going to be biting someone in the butt. So what to do now, vote no!! Will we be able to get it out, I doubt it, but at the very least it needs to be one for one, with everyone on the board put in at ratification. City guys this is what being a teamster is all about. One for all and all for one. Will it affect a city guy,not likely but could under the right circumstances.

In this proposal ABF is going to give red circle protection to anyone on the seniority roster as of April 1sr 2013. As a red circle driver let me tell you what that means. You will have protection against contractors. You will work if ABF uses them . But that doesn't guaranty you a premium run. I have been dispatched on 350 mile layover run with empty's only to bring the same empty's back to my home terminal. It didn't take long to figure out that they were just getting me off the board so they could dispatch contractors on 600 to 1000 mile runs. The best way to address this is to send them back to the table and eliminate the PT use. Just putting this out there so the new guy's who are thinking about voting yes for red circle protection its not what it seams

Ahhh........you're alleging the company....."fudges"......the RULES? You're breaking my Heart! No!....I can't believe it!

Why would ABF run an existing employee on a non-revenue producing two-way haul? It COULDN'T be that the revenue on the Purchased Transportation one-way haul,.....as discounted through a "cut-rate" carrier,........produced enough revenue to pay for both the non-revenue producing run, AND the Purchased Transportation run,.....plus maybe a tidy little profit besides.......

That.....ummm.....would be the only rational scenario that seems plausible.....

And, of course,.......Profit over Everything Else,.........Including existing employee's stability and quality of life........

So,.....there are people out there wiling to drive truck for poverty wages.......And,.......Apparently,..the Revenue produced by ABF's rates,......is far, far greater than what they're admitting openly to their employees and the IBT,.....to pull off a stunt like that,..PLUS make a profit.....

What would be wrong with ABF admitting they're making much more revenue ,....and can afford to pay better wages to THEIR OWN employees,...instead of farming out High-Revenue loads to non-Union employees?

Well,.....maybe if they can get this Purchased Transportation,......"procedure"........accepted as "inevitable"....by both the employees and the IBT,.....sooner or later,.........MOST of ABF's high-revenue loads will be manipulated into Purchased Transportation runs,.......allowing them to gradually "draw down" ABF road boards through attrition,....because road drivers would be running the low-mile, layover, waste-of-time, "interference" loads,.....and NO LONGER making the money a road bid SHOULD to make that lifestyle worth it........

Strategy?.........You Bet!.........Honest?......Highly Doubtful!.........

Should there be WORKABLE and ACCOUNTABLE RULES if ABF insists on Purchased Transportation?..............ABSOLUTELY!

Take Care of your own employees, before you decide to make a profit by "squeezing" around the rules by using below-minimum-wage cut-rate carriers.......So you don't make a couple of billion in profit,.......you only make 750 million,........

Still a Profit........without using(abusing) poverty-wage employees of other companies........

What's more Important....People,...or Business?

Hope that local cartage will see what it does to road drivers. Local cartage controls the vote.
I'm sorry but informed people control the vote and it's up to everybody to talk to and inform those of us who , just don't understand some things. Then all you can do is wait and hope for the best. What's so sad is a lot just look at the money and vacation and make up their mind, but then bitch and complain when the real sh-- hits the fan. Please don't leave it up to someone else, Talk among yourselves, if everyone talked to one fellow worker, going over anything other then money and vacations, we can then know we did our best. One look at this contract and you know the teamsters forgot who they work for, remember at the two man meeting most agreed with this crap(I MHO).

Ahhh........you're alleging the company....."fudges"......the RULES? You're breaking my Heart! No!....I can't believe it!

Why would ABF run an existing employee on a non-revenue producing two-way haul? It COULDN'T be that the revenue on the Purchased Transportation one-way haul,.....as discounted through a "cut-rate" carrier,........produced enough revenue to pay for both the non-revenue producing run, AND the Purchased Transportation run,.....plus maybe a tidy little profit besides.......

That.....ummm.....would be the only rational scenario that seems plausible.....

And, of course,.......Profit over Everything Else,.........Including existing employee's stability and quality of life........

So,.....there are people out there wiling to drive truck for poverty wages.......And,.......Apparently,..the Revenue produced by ABF's rates,......is far, far greater than what they're admitting openly to their employees and the IBT,.....to pull off a stunt like that,..PLUS make a profit.....

What would be wrong with ABF admitting they're making much more revenue ,....and can afford to pay better wages to THEIR OWN employees,...instead of farming out High-Revenue loads to non-Union employees?

Well,.....maybe if they can get this Purchased Transportation,......"procedure"........accepted as "inevitable"....by both the employees and the IBT,.....sooner or later,.........MOST of ABF's high-revenue loads will be manipulated into Purchased Transportation runs,.......allowing them to gradually "draw down" ABF road boards through attrition,....because road drivers would be running the low-mile, layover, waste-of-time, "interference" loads,.....and NO LONGER making the money a road bid SHOULD to make that lifestyle worth it........

Strategy?.........You Bet!.........Honest?......Highly Doubtful!.........

Should there be WORKABLE and ACCOUNTABLE RULES if ABF insists on Purchased Transportation?..............ABSOLUTELY!

Take Care of your own employees, before you decide to make a profit by "squeezing" around the rules by using below-minimum-wage cut-rate carriers.......So you don't make a couple of billion in profit,.......you only make 750 million,........

Still a Profit........without using(abusing) poverty-wage employees of other companies........

What's more Important....People,...or Business?
Well CANARY, the obvious question is. Why don't you, docker, the members of NUCPP, every Teamster retiree club member, donate your time and expertise to the Teamsters. For gods sake man, go out an bring the "cut rate" carrier into the Union fold. Organize Brother, like your pension fund and the Teamsters Union future depend on it. Get off your ass Canary, organize, proudly wear the UNION label.

I'm sorry but informed people control the vote and it's up to everybody to talk to and inform those of us who , just don't understand some things. Then all you can do is wait and hope for the best. What's so sad is a lot just look at the money and vacation and make up their mind, but then bitch and complain when the real sh-- hits the fan. Please don't leave it up to someone else, Talk among yourselves, if everyone talked to one fellow worker, going over anything other then money and vacations, we can then know we did our best. One look at this contract and you know the teamsters forgot who they work for, remember at the two man meeting most agreed with this crap(I MHO).

I couldn't agree more Wheelman!!!

Well CANARY, the obvious question is. Why don't you, docker, the members of NUCPP, every Teamster retiree club member, donate your time and expertise to the Teamsters. For gods sake man, go out an bring the "cut rate" carrier into the Union fold. Organize Brother, like your pension fund and the Teamsters Union future depend on it. Get off your ass Canary, organize, proudly wear the UNION label.

We are donating our time... keeping trolls like you in line... and trust me... that's very time consuming when you dealing with childish idiots.

DOCKER, what do you have against, letting people read my post.

Well,.....obviously you don’t know me very well........

I probably own Teamster T-shirts that are older than you.....

And,......as far as organizing, and donating my time,....even through retirement.....

I’m not going to toot my own horn, young man.....Go find out for yourself......

But I can guarantee that you’ve got years to go before you can even begin to get close to catching up on the amount of organizing, volunteering,......and personal work with non-Union people....that I’ve done.......

You’re trying to be sarcastic..........You’re way out of your league, young man.......

How much organizing and volunteering do you do?.......And,....do you do it for or against the Teamsters?

You seem very bitter that us retirees still care about our Union and our former Co-workers......who, in many cases , still remain our friends.

You sound like you want us to shut up and go away. Not very pro-First Amendment, are you?

Things must be very different over at UPS.......Here at ABF,...the rank-and-file generally understand the history of our Union, and the need for cohesiveness in the face of adversity.

Are you having your head stuffed with the usual propaganda dished out by UPS management that tells you to disdain anyone who wasn’t born wearing a.......brown diaper?

That’s a shame,.......you should go down to the library and check out a few books on Labor history.......You may find out that UPS is a relative newcomer to organized Labor,......and that the bulk of the UPS contract was based on the NMFA......

But all that....propaganda your head is stuffed with,......may cause a schism when presented with the facts..........and we’d hate to see a grown....(..albeit young...).....man have a nervous fit contemplating a potential conflict of facts your UPS supervisory overlords have been feeding you ....with a shovel, apparently.

Well,.....obviously you don’t know me very well........

I probably own Teamster T-shirts that are older than you.....

And,......as far as organizing, and donating my time,....even through retirement.....

I’m not going to toot my own horn, young man.....Go find out for yourself......

But I can guarantee that you’ve got years to go before you can even begin to get close to catching up on the amount of organizing, volunteering,......and personal work with non-Union people....that I’ve done.......

You’re trying to be sarcastic..........You’re way out of your league, young man.......

How much organizing and volunteering do you do?.......And,....do you do it for or against the Teamsters?

You seem very bitter that us retirees still care about our Union and our former Co-workers......who, in many cases , still remain our friends.

You sound like you want us to shut up and go away. Not very pro-First Amendment, are you?

Things must be very different over at UPS.......Here at ABF,...the rank-and-file generally understand the history of our Union, and the need for cohesiveness in the face of adversity.

Are you having your head stuffed with the usual propaganda dished out by UPS management that tells you to disdain anyone who wasn’t born wearing a.......brown diaper?

That’s a shame,.......you should go down to the library and check out a few books on Labor history.......You may find out that UPS is a relative newcomer to organized Labor,......and that the bulk of the UPS contract was based on the NMFA......

But all that....propaganda your head is stuffed with,......may cause a schism when presented with the facts..........and we’d hate to see a grown....(..albeit young...).....man have a nervous fit contemplating a potential conflict of facts your UPS supervisory overlords have been feeding you ....with a shovel, apparently.
Canary, do you know what the UPS supervisory OVERLORDS, tell us when we get back to the barn. Get the hell off the clock, We aren't paying you $54.59 to shoot the ::shit::. Then they say have a nice day, because they want us to work 70 hours a week. I haven't had the time to spend the money i made over Christmas. Anyway Canary it's not 1967 anymore, there is only 1 company left in the NMFA, change or die. Time for the pasture, C.

Canary, do you know what the UPS supervisory OVERLORDS, tell us when we get back to the barn. Get the hell off the clock, We aren't paying you $54.59 to shoot the :::shit:::. Then they say have a nice day, because they want us to work 70 hours a week. I haven't had the time to spend the money i made over Christmas. Anyway Canary it's not 1967 anymore, there is only 1 company left in the NMFA, change or die. Time for the pasture, C.

70 hour work week and no time for the family? And you say it’s not 1967 anymore?
Sure sounds like it is.....

Careful there, young man........they’re holding that monetary carrot way out in front of you on a stick....

Looks like you’re working hard so you can afford that solid gold coffin you’ve got your eye on......Your overlords are.....proud ....of you..

In my area, there’s a big UPS presence,......and talking to many of your co-workers,....they don’t seem to share your attitude that other Teamster companies are.......”interfering”......with your future pension. They seem to understand that most all of the pension problems are...”manufactured “......by employers to win approval by employees to........shed their pension obligations instead of fixing them. You seem to be very susceptible to corporate propaganda........Like Rollin62,....do you find yourself alone in a corner of the break room?

Anyway,.........thanks for providing us here at the ABF boards,....the UPS corporate viewpoint on pensions and the ethicality of breaking promises in the quest of profits.

Keep working those 70 hour weeks, young man! Those extra tax dollars you’re paying,......will eventually find their way into my Social Security account.......I hope you don’t mind,...but at 70hours a week......there’s very little chance you’ll ever use you Social Security.........

Canary, do you know what the UPS supervisory OVERLORDS, tell us when we get back to the barn. Get the hell off the clock, We aren't paying you $54.59 to shoot the :::shit:::. Then they say have a nice day, because they want us to work 70 hours a week. I haven't had the time to spend the money i made over Christmas. Anyway Canary it's not 1967 anymore, there is only 1 company left in the NMFA, change or die. Time for the pasture, C.
Then go post it on the ups forum and tell them, & stop cluttering this one up with your nonsense

Very good description of what "red circle" means to ABF. If the ABF Teamsters take the time to engage and inform. Rather than belittling, badgering and insulting. You should be able to vote down the current proposal.