Reddaway | Reddaway 2019 Contract Join the Conversation!

bYaK11s.jpg

It is looking more like we are going to get screwed on this upcoming contract negotiation and the members I have talked to seem to be like spineless jellyfish, and will be happy with whatever the Mama bird (Reddaway) regurgitates into their mouths. Due to recent changes in the tax system (Trump tax plan) lay-over drivers are no longer eligible for a per diem deduction on Federal Income taxes. This little "benefit" cost me almost $10,000 per year in deductions. Many companies trying to lure drivers have "reinstated" per diem pay as an added benefit to make employment attractive.
Here is the beauty of the benefit. Of the $64 daily per diem rate your benefit as a lay-over driver is 80% of that amount. That is $51.20 per day on lay-over. Employees were excluded from per diem but companies (and owner-operators) were not. The company can pay out of pocket $51.20 to each lay-over driver for each lay-over day and it's a 100% write off for the company. Here's the beauty...because per diem is a reimbursement and not income it is paid to the driver 100% tax-free!!!!!!!!!
I have brought this up to several Teamster representatives but have heard nothing in reply (shocking!!). Without this win-win benefit for the driver (recapturing lost deduction) and the company (won't cost one penny), any contract without this benefit will receive a NO vote from this member.