Holland | Regional opinions?

Griz

TB Veteran
Credits
Seems the regionals are reading, posting and are basing our opinions on what's going on at YRCF. Quote to me from our local Ibt brothers " it's just unfortunate that our companies are tied in with the corporate"YRCW" debt. But it is what it is. Unlike local 728 with the thumbs down, our local will not give us their opinion either way. I believe this is a corporate problem with debt load. We have given 3.2 billion dollars back over the last 4 years. Please can you show us (regionals) some sort of plan going forward. Help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Well we had a meeting at our local this am, seems people want to at least hear what they have to say. guess that makes us yellow. but at least it buys a few more weeks till they shut it down. i don't get the impression that anyone thinks we'll be around till Christmas. My own opinion, and that's all it is, is that the banks need a vitran, central freight, kind of package. I don't think there'll be any negotiating, it will be a take it or leave it proposition.

Seems the regionals are reading, posting and are basing our opinions on what's going on at YRCF. Quote to me from our local Ibt brothers " it's just unfortunate that our companies are tied in with the corporate"YRCW" debt. But it is what it is. Unlike local 728 with the thumbs down, our local will not give us their opinion either way. I believe this is a corporate problem with debt load. We have given 3.2 billion dollars back over the last 4 years. Please can you show us (regionals) some sort of plan going forward. Help.

When I was at Preston, Yellow owned Preston. Preston was losing money, Yellow was making money. Preston employees took a pay cut. Yellow did not. Now I am at Holland. Holland is making money but Yellow is not. I still have to take a pay cut. WTH.

When I was at Preston, Yellow owned Preston. Preston was losing money, Yellow was making money. Preston employees took a pay cut. Yellow did not. Now I am at Holland. Holland is making money but Yellow is not. I still have to take a pay cut. WTH.
It seems that holland is the most profitable peice of the yrcw family. The decision you guys have to make is a very hard one, and tthe way it looks it might be the end,

It seems that holland is the most profitable peice of the yrcw family. The decision you guys have to make is a very hard one, and tthe way it looks it might be the end,

I do believe it is near, we gave them what they needed when they needed it.....now they claim it was a misstep that put us in this position. The do this or else Happy Holidays letter we all got............made me see red. They operated the same way as they did before....lets see a new management team, doing the same s**t and this time the results will be different ? Give us more money and this time it will be fixed...IBT has a 25% interest in a trucking company. We saw how that worked out for us...! Timing is best now....they will get what they want.! I have seen how employers look at us when applying for a job. YRC has painted us as the root of their problems over and over. A fellow holland driver and a close friend for 25 years...was told after he went thru the hiring process....that corporate HR said no to his hiring due to his Union back ground. So much for that 25.00 hr tanker job he was hoping to get............done ! It has happened to several men from our barn...over and over, including myself. We have lost several to Wal-Mart...etc. They know it's the wrong time of the year, no one in this business wants to be out of work in January, their timing is exact...lets see how this next round plays out. The International Brotherhood of Theives ( IBT ) and Your Pension Cancelled ( YRC ) has brought all of us to a new low...hell they can't hire now and their burning the city drivers out pushing them to the max. They are up to 15 part-timers on the dock...maybe thats why you can't drive on the dock without running into a supervisor every 50 feet. Maybe it's time to throw in the towel, I have had enough....I plan to walk away soon, when I added up what I have already gave up and what they want....not going to happen.!

I was laid off in 2009 and 2012, when talking to non union companies I also felt that I got a cold shoulder when they found out I had been a union driver. I think many of these companies look at union drivers as trouble waiting to happen and they don't care if you have twenty years experience and a great driving record, they don't want to take the chance of you putting ideas into their non union drivers heads.

I was laid off in 2009 and 2012, when talking to non union companies I also felt that I got a cold shoulder when they found out I had been a union driver. I think many of these companies look at union drivers as trouble waiting to happen and they don't care if you have twenty years experience and a great driving record, they don't want to take the chance of you putting ideas into their non union drivers heads.

I had several chances to get hired but as soon as it came down to my union work history.....I got the door. Last week I got invited to apply for a corporate fleet. One has to be refered to the traffic manager to be considered for employment. I went to see what was being offered, when I drove up and parked it seems strange to see well maintained equipment. At the front desk the young lady asked my name, oh yes he is expecting you, we are extremly busy right now let me tell him that your here. She came back and told me that he was busy but wanted me to fill out the application while I waited. She took me to their drivers breakroom, asked if I would like some coffee ? When I got done and went back to the front desk...she took the application and went to see if he was available for the interview. She came back and said that he was sorry he couldn't meet with me due to a meeting he had to go to....and would be calling me shortly. She asked when was the best time to call me...and made sure she had my phone number correct. When my buddy called and asked what I thought, I told him it was nice to be treated that way,....a name not a number. Every one I talked to while I was there were nice and considerate.! He told me that by the time I was back at Holland to start my shift my driving record/back ground check was waiting on his desk when he got out of his meeting. It was a breath of fresh air, to be treated that way. We will have to wait and see what happens next. I will keep looking, I do intend on leaving as soon as I can locate another employer that fills the ticket I need. You have to keep trying...I will !

I predict that they give you guys a "take it or leave it" option.......which includes more concessions. It will be thrown in your face before Christmas because they know that nobody can afford to be unemployed during the Holidays. The old "be happy that you have a job" comment comes to mind. Their offer will be accepted again.
Just my opinion based on past results..:hide:

I predict that they give you guys a "take it or leave it" option.......which includes more concessions. It will be thrown in your face before Christmas because they know that nobody can afford to be unemployed during the Holidays. The old "be happy that you have a job" comment comes to mind. Their offer will be accepted again.
Just my opinion based on past results..:hide:

And they can take it and shove it up their arse!

Just seems funny that after all these meetings over the past weekend and still no one has a clue what they want other than a new five year deal... The fact that ABF reported yesterday they were profitable and it seems their drivers were forced into concessions with the same speech.. Where is the IBT on this.. All I have heard is that Hoffa walked out on them.. Everything else has been rumor..

Just seems funny that after all these meetings over the past weekend and still no one has a clue what they want other than a new five year deal... The fact that ABF reported yesterday they were profitable and it seems their drivers were forced into concessions with the same speech.. Where is the IBT on this.. All I have heard is that Hoffa walked out on them.. Everything else has been rumor..
He pretty much said it here
Absent concessions from its workforce, YRC explains, "we cannot satisfy all of our debt obligations that come due in the next 17 months." And that's a problem, because we have a word we use to describe companies that cannot "satisfy their debt obligations," and default on their debt: We call them "bankrupt."

They want another concession, they want you to "feel bad" if it goes to bankruptcy, and they want you to decide now, while it's an emotional decision, before you can look at the facts. It's the same game played in DC...and it stinks

Am I wrong but didn't holland have 800 million in debt that yellow/roadway absorbed when they purchased you guys. I know holland and new penn are the money makers but to say that ALL the debt is yrc freights I believe is incorrect.

Am I wrong but didn't holland have 800 million in debt that yellow/roadway absorbed when they purchased you guys. I know holland and new penn are the money makers but to say that ALL the debt is yrc freights I believe is incorrect.
no way no how

Nope; that article states USF
which included If I remember correctly 6 companies.
And 4 of those companies are now closed by YRC.
Holland pre-yrc always operated between 87.0 and 92.0 give or take a point.

Actually Holland was known on the streets as always being a money maker.
UPS tried to buy Holland before YRC did.
That was about 1 year after Fed ex bought Arkansaw Freight (A.F.)

Every company has "debt" but as long as it doesn't exceed your assets its normal.