XPO | Reinventing the Wheel: XPO has new technology that's better than anything before!

icuicp

TB Veteran
Credits
XPO Logistics Unveils LTL Optimization Plan

"AI also will be used to set sequences of drivers’ pickups and deliveries, with adjustment in routes in real time, based on road conditions and repairs. The AI-assisted schedule will increase delivery and pickup stops per hour, the company said."

- Transport Topics

Soooo , the Artificial Intelligence will do all of the work that the inbound supervisor ( or whoever ) usually does? And do it better? I guess you will have to eliminate those people...Hmmm.

This goes along with the hiring freeze ( at least in my neck of the woods ) and the laying off of non-drivers. The further away from freight your job is the more in danger it will be. Also , if you have a job that can't be explained in 4 or 5 words it may be in danger.

XPO Logistics Unveils LTL Optimization Plan

"AI also will be used to set sequences of drivers’ pickups and deliveries, with adjustment in routes in real time, based on road conditions and repairs. The AI-assisted schedule will increase delivery and pickup stops per hour, the company said."

- Transport Topics

Soooo , the Artificial Intelligence will do all of the work that the inbound supervisor ( or whoever ) usually does? And do it better? I guess you will have to eliminate those people...Hmmm.

This goes along with the hiring freeze ( at least in my neck of the woods ) and the laying off of non-drivers. The further away from freight your job is the more in danger it will be. Also , if you have a job that can't be explained in 4 or 5 words it may be in danger.
I pick up freight........I think I'm safe

They’ll buy something soon to bump the stock up. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see it , a very predictable strategy
I think they were holding off on buying bc valuations were high, not so much digesting Conway.
Freight demand peaked, so now investors are selling off driving prices down for trans and logistics companies.

Warehousing is still hot, so hard to say when XPO would buy another warehousing company (Jacobson, New Breed).

Everyone is watching XPO, so they need to do something soon.
Maybe a new mode? Air Ocean?
They got LTL and intermodal. Maybe further grow intermodal?

So many option can't guess.

XPO Logistics introduces four new technology initiatives with an eye on LTL optimization

"The four chief components of XPO’s LTL 2.0 offerings include:

1.) Linehaul bypass model: XPO is piloting new algorithms to assemble truckloads dedicated to direct movements of LTL freight. The linehaul bypass model improves the efficiency of company trucks and trailers and purchased linehaul services by reducing multiple stops to a single destination;

2.) Load-building through artificial intelligence: AI tools and computer vision technology for cross-dock operators help to ensure that inbound pallets are loaded in the optimal trailers, and in the right sequence inside the trailers, for the greatest possible efficiency during delivery. Intelligent load-building technology also helps limit damage;

3.) Dynamic route optimization for pickup and delivery: XPO is piloting proprietary AI tools that set the sequence of each LTL driver’s pickups and deliveries and adjust routes in real time based on traffic, road construction and other impacts to efficiency. This has increased the number of delivery and pickup stops per hour, improving asset utilization; and

4.) Pricing algorithms: XPO is developing machine learning capabilities to predict LTL price elasticity. The technology is being designed to forecast market conditions for future dates based on real-time supply and demand, as well as historical data and XPO capacity levels. This will help enhance the speed and accuracy of responses to customer RFPs."

- Logistics Management

Does this mean the Artificial Intelligence will construct loads specifically to BYPASS LINEHAUL for truckload carriers? I mean , it literally says that.

Can you say subservice?

XPO Logistics introduces four new technology initiatives with an eye on LTL optimization

1.) Linehaul bypass model: XPO is piloting new algorithms to assemble truckloads dedicated to direct movements of LTL freight. The linehaul bypass model improves the efficiency of company trucks and trailers and purchased linehaul services by reducing multiple stops to a single destination;

2.) Load-building through artificial intelligence: AI tools and computer vision technology for cross-dock operators help to ensure that inbound pallets are loaded in the optimal trailers, and in the right sequence inside the trailers, for the greatest possible efficiency during delivery. Intelligent load-building technology also helps limit damage;

3.) Dynamic route optimization for pickup and delivery: XPO is piloting proprietary AI tools that set the sequence of each LTL driver’s pickups and deliveries and adjust routes in real time based on traffic, road construction and other impacts to efficiency. This has increased the number of delivery and pickup stops per hour, improving asset utilization; and

4.) Pricing algorithms: XPO is developing machine learning capabilities to predict LTL price elasticity. The technology is being designed to forecast market conditions for future dates based on real-time supply and demand, as well as historical data and XPO capacity levels. This will help enhance the speed and accuracy of responses to customer RFPs."

- Logistics Management

Does this mean the Artificial Intelligence will construct loads specifically to BYPASS LINEHAUL for truckload carriers? I mean , it literally says that.

Can you say subservice?
Yes, bypass company linehaul drivers for towel head carriers through brokerage division.
Algorithm will choose lowest cost method automatically with no manusl subtraction needed.

Yes, bypass company linehaul drivers for towel head carriers through brokerage division.
Algorithm will choose lowest cost method automatically with no manusl subtraction needed.
I'm asking everyone because usually something doesn't get rolled out an announced nationally unless it's been through trials and testing somewhere. That means someone out there is very familiar with details of what's coming.

Not to sound cynical , but when has the technology and software ever been close to what is advertised?

Last edited:
I'm asking if everyone because usually something doesn't get rolled out an announced nationally unless it's been through trials and testing somewhere. That means someone out there is very familiar with details of what's coming.

Not to sound cynical , but when has the technology and software ever been close to what is advertised?
Well, hasn't conway been doing that?
I remember an outside carrier multi group logistics hauled alot of 53' vans of conway freight all over.

FXF does the same with US Xpress, Werner, CRST, etc.
Instead of pups relayed many times, they will have an outside carrier with 53' trailer.
FX Ground is 100% outsourced linehaul carriers even for pups, so I guess no job is safe.

Last edited:
When you read this it seems that are ready to put outsourcing of line haul in high gear by the amplification of what they been doing for years and new algorithms.
You have to separate the hype and the reality of putting it into effect in the real world. Somewhere between the two is what you can expect.

Last edited:
I think they were holding off on buying bc valuations were high, not so much digesting Conway.
Freight demand peaked, so now investors are selling off driving prices down for trans and logistics companies.

Warehousing is still hot, so hard to say when XPO would buy another warehousing company (Jacobson, New Breed).

Everyone is watching XPO, so they need to do something soon.
Maybe a new mode? Air Ocean?
They got LTL and intermodal. Maybe further grow intermodal?

So many option can't guess.
I agree

They eat that stuff ... tell me a reason your gonna make more and will invest. Spin is not a new game in the long haul only what works prevails. You can only fool them so long.
Day traders thrive on this stuff .

- Logistics Management

Can you say subservice?
I can see it now , you will be standing in front of a wall with a window that they can see you but you can't see them in the morning
Meetings, and This will resemble a scene from the movie Police academy!!! . That will be the Artificial intelligence part!! Lol!!!

Invest in AI ... that’s a laugh they can’t even give us handhelds that aren’t based on 20 yr old technology. JHC!
Stocks falling I guess it’s time to push the hype .

Last edited:
Invest in AI ... that’s a laugh they can’t even give us handhelds that aren’t based on 20 yr old technology. JHC!
Stocks falling I guess it’s time to push the hype .
A while ago an Old Dominion driver posted a thank you to his linehaul operations for warning him about a tornado ahead. It was nighttime ( if I remember correctly ) so without the warning , he may have drove right into it's path.

After reading that , I posted asking has XPO's linehaul ever warned drivers ahead of time about upcoming danger or threats? I don't recall ANY responses.

Sooooooo , fast forward to now and my original post ( a quote from the Transport Topics article )

"Artificial Intelligence also will be used to set sequences of drivers’ pickups and deliveries, with adjustment in routes in real time, based on road conditions and repairs. The AI-assisted schedule will increase delivery and pickup stops per hour, the company said."

The software will be so good that it will sequence the pickups AND deliveries? Okay , right...But wait , there's more...software is SOOOOOO good it will adjust your route ( in real time as you go ) based on road conditions and repairs!

This sounds like a letter of instruction waiting to happen. You don't do what the Artificial Intelligence tells you - boom! You are in the office.

P&D has so many variables ( closing times , if freight will be ready , can you load it with other freight , weight distribution in trailer , do they have a dock , can you sit there and take a lunch or use restroom , how fast will they load you , etc...)
It will be amazing if XPO has developed Artificial Intelligence that works 1/3 of the time.

How will this Artificial Intelligence know what the road conditions are , for example?