XPO | Reinventing the Wheel: XPO has new technology that's better than anything before!

A while ago an Old Dominion driver posted a thank you to his linehaul operations for warning him about a tornado ahead. It was nighttime ( if I remember correctly ) so without the warning , he may have drove right into it's path.

After reading that , I posted asking has XPO's linehaul ever warned drivers ahead of time about upcoming danger or threats? I don't recall ANY responses.

Sooooooo , fast forward to now and my original post ( a quote from the Transport Topics article )

"Artificial Intelligence also will be used to set sequences of drivers’ pickups and deliveries, with adjustment in routes in real time, based on road conditions and repairs. The AI-assisted schedule will increase delivery and pickup stops per hour, the company said."

The software will be so good that it will sequence the pickups AND deliveries? Okay , right...But wait , there's more...software is SOOOOOO good it will adjust your route ( in real time as you go ) based on road conditions and repairs!

This sounds like a letter of instruction waiting to happen. You don't do what the Artificial Intelligence tells you - boom! You are in the office.

P&D has so many variables ( closing times , if freight will be ready , can you load it with other freight , weight distribution in trailer , do they have a dock , can you sit there and take a lunch or use restroom , how fast will they load you , etc...)
It will be amazing if XPO has developed Artificial Intelligence that works 1/3 of the time.

How will this Artificial Intelligence know what the road conditions are , for example?
Snake oil / cures and fixes everything and only we have it. Can’t tell you what it is but if it’s broke this will fix it.

Last edited:
Snake oil / cures and fixes everything and only we have it. Can’t tell you what it is but if it’s broke this will fix it.
I don't want to kill any hope for the new tech , however , companies dedicated to traffic reports and navigation can't get it right and XPO announces Artificial Intelligence that can give REAL TIME traffic reports!?!?

Honestly , if they have this tech ( and it's their's) what do they need all of the other stuff for? They could make a fortune off of selling or licensing this new technology.

So it does make one suspicious that it's real instead of a way to pump up stock prices and build confidence and enthusiasm in the company and it's leadership. I do hope it's real but have my doubts.

I don't want to kill any hope for the new tech , however , companies dedicated to traffic reports and navigation can't get it right and XPO announces Artificial Intelligence that can give REAL TIME traffic reports!?!?

Honestly , if they have this tech ( and it's their's) what do they need all of the other stuff for? They could make a fortune off of selling or licensing this new technology.

So it does make one suspicious that it's real instead of a way to pump up stock prices and build confidence and enthusiasm in the company and it's leadership. I do hope it's real but have my doubts.
Think of the Waze traffic app it reports real time visual and audio alerts through constant streaming . It will report roadside and in road obstacles, disabled cars and traffic instantly. So the software has been there for years for that aspect. I think using the the term AI is again a little hype.
Any software is going to have a hard time competing or enhancing in any meaningful way a seasoned peddle driver who knows his route and customers. There close times, lunches , docks to use ,satellite buildings , security delays and checks and a whole host of learned nuisances that change daily.
A season peddle driver is worth his or hers weight in gold and does not have much use for a device consistently telling them how to route or run his day . IMHO and someone who tells you different doesn’t understand the business.
Technology has its place and will enhance and change this business. But it will not make up for a poorly motivated driver.
My advice is engage and invest in your drivers and it will pay off in spades . Con-way did it and guess what... it worked.

Last edited:
Maybe instead of investing 450 million on tech maybe you could invest into the drivers with some of that . I guarantee the return will be far greater in moral alone not to mention attracting the best drivers from other companies. Want to be the industry leader , there it is.

Think of the Waze traffic app it reports real time visual and audio alerts through constant streaming . It will report roadside and in road obstacles, disabled cars and traffic instantly. So the software has been there for years for that aspect. I think using the the term AI is again a little hype.
Any software is going to have a hard time competing or enhancing in any meaningful way a seasoned peddle driver who knows his route and customers. There close times, lunches , docks to use ,satellite buildings , security delays and checks and a whole host of learned nuisances that change daily.
A season peddle driver is worth his or hers weight in gold and does not have much use for a device consistently telling them how to route or run his day . IMHO and someone who tells you different doesn’t understand the business.
Technology has its place and will enhance and change this business. But it will not make up for a poorly motivated driver.
My advice is engage and invest in your drivers and it will pay off in spades . Con-way did it and guess what... it worked.
I agree with this completely!!! These ignorant managers toss who ever on a different route everyday, not knowing how the best and efficient way to run the route.
Most Driver's can think for themselves.
I don't need someone or something telling me every move to make!! That's for Robot's,
Or should I say XPObot's.

I agree with this completely!!! These ignorant managers toss who ever on a different route everyday, not knowing how the best and efficient way to run the route.
I don't need someone or something telling me every move to make!! That's for Robot's,
Quite frankly it should offend the drivers that they think in that manner.

We’re not paid to think, we’re paid to do. Do what the magic box tells you to, and enjoy the OT!

I know at our barn and I assume at all others the peddle driver plans and arranges his route (if he or She loads his trailer) in order that is most efficient to assure all freight is delivered . This varies from the geo mapping that the FOS uses when routing the run. Also once on the street the peddel driver navigates through the day based on receiving hours , deadlines and delays. The driver is completely responsible when dispatch sends of pick ups as to what order to pick them up that assures that the customers will be serviced. Our drivers are accountable for all deliveries not made and pick up not gotten . They would be hard pressed to find a program that is going to tell most drivers how to do it better with so many variables in play. Our peddle drivers in this company are the best. We are paid to think and we do.

Drivers get a kick out of the fos asking why didn’t you go he or their first> I was watching you via GPS tracking and it made no sense

Last edited:
I know at our barn and I assume at all others the peddle driver plans and arranges his route (if he or She loads his trailer) in order that is most efficient to assure all freight is delivered . This varies from the geo mapping that the FOS uses when routing the run. Also once on the street the peddel driver navigates through the day based on receiving hours , deadlines and delays. The driver is completely responsible when dispatch sends of pick ups as to what order to pick them up that assures that the customers will be serviced. Our drivers are accountable for all deliveries not made and pick up not gotten . They would be hard pressed to find a program that is going to tell most drivers how to do it better with so many variables in play. Our peddle in this company are the best. We are paid to think and we do.
None of that is our responsibility. We do it because imo, we have some pretty damn good drivers. That said, all that planning is on the fos.

We can't even get scanners that work now ? How will these useless pieces of garbage handle all of that too ? LOL I call outright BULL ::shit:: !!!

And the new drivers can't do anything right. Other than waste time. Burn fuel. Bring everything back. So, I completely understand why management wants to go to a " color by numbers " style of routing.

They literally have new guy routes and old guy routes. Some things we don't need coming back. TDC or ugly as hell. Those deliveries all go on proven drivers.

And so many have quit that the old guys are significantly out numbered. Very few drivers are actually capable or competent.

Job security. These guys just keep lowering the bar.

Also , to go along with the Artificial Intelligence picking out routes and telling where to load freight on outbound/ an at FAC , software is supposed to determine how many slots are available and at what times for P&D bids.

At least that's the rumor. Before panicking about Artificial Intelligence taking over , answer this: How were the bids determined in the past?

Last edited:
I think they should utilize these fancy tablets they installed. They are capable of GPS maps to and from destination {would help new drivers going to a FAC or doing a VIA for the first time} they could send us weather warnings such that was mentioned above. We could dispatch and arrive with them {when we forget the hand held that we set down by the punch clock, just saying for example...} Just using them to {Ding] at us while driving down the road and giving me a very poor shift score { I drive an automatic} is just a waist of money spent on fancy technology in my opinion.

I think they should utilize these fancy tablets they installed. They are capable of GPS maps to and from destination {would help new drivers going to a FAC or doing a VIA for the first time} they could send us weather warnings such that was mentioned above. We could dispatch and arrive with them {when we forget the hand held that we set down by the punch clock, just saying for example...} Just using them to {Ding] at us while driving down the road and giving me a very poor shift score { I drive an automatic} is just a waist of money spent on fancy technology in my opinion.
As far as I've been lead to believe , each additional feature activated on the VeNomics units adds additional cost. Per unit. Per feature. So , who knows if you will EVER see a fully activated unit.

Some things XPO will pay for - like $5 everytime a camera goes off. Some things not so much - like making a driver's day easier with built-in GPS.

No drivers. And the drivers we got ain't worth a ::shit::. People continue to quit. A lot of guys buying their own trucks. So much money out there right now. And this place is being run so poorly. There is very little motivation to stay. Absolutely amazing what this CCX has become.

Jacobs has really screwed the pooch. Robot trucks were a pipe dream. The Brexit thing and his buddy going bankrupt on him really hurt the company. Stock down in the 60s. He can't even afford to sell right now. And this Trump bubble has to burst eventually. I fear for our future as employees of this company. It certainly looks extremely bleak.

Good news is. It doesn't matter. People are begging for anyone with a CDL to come and work as much as they can.