XPO | repo man

Excellent post!

Gotta disagree BoxBoss (Suprise!). Excusing because of our larger size is a copout. Good leaders know how to lead and losing touch is not consistant with that endeavor.

Good leaders become much more then a Monday morning talking head or a glossy pic in some corporate promo.

I agree with you (surprise!)...I don't think I was excusing, or certainly I wasn't trying to , more than I was just trying to present the situation as it stands right now...I agree with you that there has to be more than the Monday morning video, I'm just not sure it is practical right now, so that is why I guess I am willing to "excuse" it..I truly wish it were different...Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve that situation right now..??

BoxBoss
How have these purchases helped the company and why did the company DUMP so much money into other companies?
Have you run a stock watch for cnw from 2007 to date or better yet look at the last two months???:loser:

Con-way Inc. (Con-way) provides transportation, logistics and supply-chain management services for a range of manufacturing, industrial and retail customers. Con-way’s principal business units operate in regional and transcontinental less-than-truckload (LTL) and full-truckload freight transportation, contract logistics and supply-chain management, truckload brokerage, and trailer manufacturing. Con-way Inc. is divided into five segments: Freight, Logistics, Truckload, Vector, and Other. On August 23, 2007, the Company completed the acquisition of Contract Freighters, Inc. (CFI). On August 23, 2007, Con-way acquired Transportation Resources, Inc. On September 5, 2007, the Company acquired Cougar Logistics. On October 18, 2007, it acquired Chic Logistics.

Ok, now we have a conversation...I am going to bypass the market description of the company, nice research though, and talk about your questions...
The acquisitions that we made, that any company makes, are designed to do what?? Generally, to expand your portfolio of services and to expand your revenue base with those acquisitions. The purchase of CFI we have already been over, buying a very profitable private company in order to expand Truckload services was smart, it hasn't hurt the corporation at all...They brought automatic credibility with them, with a strong revenue base, and an efficient cost model.....The remaining purchases fall along the same lines, to include preparing to enter the international market on a more than "casual" basis...There are many in the business community that are convinced that doing business with China is going to be the next great "industrial phase"...I think it remains to be seen whether or not in a global economy that is badly bruised at the moment that this phase actually occurs, and if so, how long before it does...I believe it will begin to be "fruitful" as the economy rebounds..
And for the record, I watch our stock daily, and have done so for just about a decade now...I assume your reference to it is to point out the deterioration of it, especially in the last 93 sessions...My only statement to that is we are not immune to the country's economic problems, certainly not in our industry, which relies heavily on a robust economy to be successful, and we are certainly not alone...My family has stock in UPS, FedEx, Con-way, and YRC...that is through employment mostly, but some as hard cash investment as well...I don't think anyone here can show me that any of those have "flourished" in the past 93 sessions as well...

I agree with you (surprise!)...I don't think I was excusing, or certainly I wasn't trying to , more than I was just trying to present the situation as it stands right now...I agree with you that there has to be more than the Monday morning video, I'm just not sure it is practical right now, so that is why I guess I am willing to "excuse" it..I truly wish it were different...Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve that situation right now..??

Yes I do!!!...(surprise!)

Damn I'm funny!!!:hysterical:

1. Let us forego the reactionary knee jerk to every little development in the economy/industry.

2. Return to proactive stance of years past...

3. Do what we do best and focus on constant improvement

4. Put real sales tools in the hands of the DSRs...not beanies with umbrellas

5. Return to the 'All for One and One for All' genre that made this company what is and can continue to be.

6. Stop making company wide edicts from the Glass House and expect those to be all encompassing for every member and location of the team.

7. Lead!...Lead!!!...Lead!!!...Set the pace for the rest of the industry to follow. A leg up on your competition is priceless.

8. Return more local control to the SCMs and AEs. They know there customers better than corporate.

9. Let those SICs without shops repair equipment as needed and minus the OK from Ann Arbor. How stupid is that!

10. Get out of the House...get personal...find out what your staff needs to be successful in the field and then by all means provide it.

11. Put the junk back on the fence and look like an innovative company. Look successful to your customers and John Q. and you will be.

12. Get off the educational merry-go-round. Just because someone posesses a degree doesn't mean they are qualified to be a supervisor...the degree seems to be a prerequisite to be an FOS these days. Find true leaders with the ability to learn the requirements of the position. Knowledge can be taught. Real leadership is not so easily conveyed to those who don't have it. I have degree and I am not qualified for the afforementioned positions.

There you have it... the dirty dozen (loved that movie!)

These are just suggestions. I am sure those who particitpate here will have better ideas than these...But they are just a start.

Rat :loser:

1. Let us forego the reactionary knee jerk to every little development in the economy/industry.

5. Return to the 'All for One and One for All' genre that made this company what is and can continue to be.

6. Stop making company wide edicts from the Glass House and expect those to be all encompassing for every member and location of the team.

7. Lead!...Lead!!!...Lead!!!...Set the pace for the rest of the industry to follow. A leg up on your competition is priceless.

8. Return more local control to the SCMs and AEs. They know there customers better than corporate.

9. Let those SICs without shops repair equipment as needed and minus the OK from Ann Arbor. How stupid is that!

10. Get out of the House...get personal...find out what your staff needs to be successful in the field and then by all means provide it.

11. Put the junk back on the fence and look like an innovative company. Look successful to your customers and John Q. and you will be.

12. Get off the educational merry-go-round. Just because someone posesses a degree doesn't mean they are qualified to be a supervisor...the degree seems to be a prerequisite to be an FOS these days. Find true leaders with the ability to learn the requirements of the position. Knowledge can be taught. Real leadership is not so easily conveyed to those who don't have it. I have degree and I am not qualified for the afforementioned positions.

These are just suggestions. I am sure those who particitpate here will have better ideas than these...But they are just a start.

But I liked the damn beanie with the umbrella...wore it all through the communications meeting the Monday that we introduced it, and so did the AEs...not sure how effective that was, but they paid attention...you cannot look away from someone wearing that get up...And for the record, the customers out here loved it...when you make a sales call with that thing on your head, people can't help but notice..and if they think you are just crazy enough to show up at their place like that, they art least want to hear what you gotta say...and then they ask for one, of course...But this is, after all, just California..

But I liked the damn beanie with the umbrella...wore it all through the communications meeting the Monday that we introduced it, and so did the AEs...not sure how effective that was, but they paid attention...you cannot look away from someone wearing that get up...And for the record, the customers out here loved it...when you make a sales call with that thing on your head, people can't help but notice..and if they think you are just crazy enough to show up at their place like that, they art least want to hear what you gotta say...and then they ask for one, of course...But this is, after all, just California..

No accountin' for the left coast.

Geez...you guys are wierd.

Put mine on the dog...took pics...dog got depressed...now on pet prozac...full member of "Dog Whisperer" now!

Poor B*astard!

No accountin' for the left coast.

Geez...you guys are wierd.

Put mine on the dog...took pics...dog got depressed...now on pet prozac...full member of "Dog Whisperer" now!

Poor B*astard!

Now that is funny..who would take a picture of their dog with that damn thing on..?? Mine ran the other way when I tried...

Midirat1255,
truckingboards.com won't let me give you any more greenies.

Your list makes me think you're introducing us to a twelve step program. It should then have begun with a need to admit, isolate, and identify where we are powerless.

All are good "steps" but one for the purposes of this thread jumped out to me at hyper-speed;

Quote;
"10. Get out of the House...get personal...find out what your staff needs to be successful in the field and then by all means provide it."

First, as mentioned before, it was Jerry's mantra that CCX should simply provide the training and the tools to do the job.....and cut them lose to do it. Nobody will argue that we largely felt very different about this company back then and that he/we was/were very successful.

But to the point is that he was really visable and made it a goal to personaly visit each and every facility at a predetermined rate. I don't remember what he told me that rate was but it was often. For one guy, he had a lot of service centers to visit again and again. That came to a screaching halt when he moved up the ladder with CTS. Others made visits but not like Jerry. In the last 10 years, I have met only one person above my RM and he was there because of service center closings a few months ago. Am not at all clear what he does but he is VP of something.

With mano e mano visits we gained a sense of what our leader was made of, of his meddle. Most all good leaders in history would come down from their guilded perch to personaly visit with the lowly backbone of their organization. We don't feel isolated and maybe we could benefit from their perspective. Could we possibly perceive then, that they are not so out of touch? I class this as fundemental in the persuit of not only administrating good leadership, but of setting an example for those underlings that are our future leaders.

Midirat1255,
truckingboards.com won't let me give you any more greenies.

Your list makes me think you're introducing us to a twelve step program. It should then have begun with a need to admit, isolate, and identify where we are powerless.

All are good "steps" but one for the purposes of this thread jumped out to me at hyper-speed;

Quote;
"10. Get out of the House...get personal...find out what your staff needs to be successful in the field and then by all means provide it."

First, as mentioned before, it was Jerry's mantra that CCX should simply provide the training and the tools to do the job.....and cut them lose to do it. Nobody will argue that we largely felt very different about this company back then and that he/we was/were very successful.

But to the point is that he was really visable and made it a goal to personaly visit each and every facility at a predetermined rate. I don't remember what he told me that rate was but it was often. For one guy, he had a lot of service centers to visit again and again. That came to a screaching halt when he moved up the ladder with CTS. Others made visits but not like Jerry. In the last 10 years, I have met only one person above my RM and he was there because of service center closings a few months ago. Am not at all clear what he does but he is VP of something.

With mano e mano visits we gained a sense of what our leader was made of, of his meddle. Most all good leaders in history would come down from their guilded perch to personaly visit with the lowly backbone of their organization. We don't feel isolated and maybe we could benefit from their perspective. Could we possibly perceive then, that they are not so out of touch? I class this as fundemental in the persuit of not only administrating good leadership, but of setting an example for those underlings that are our future leaders.

It really wasn't that long ago, was it..just sort of feels like it...

"Once upon a time in a land far far away...
There was a company called Consolidated Freightways that did some very strange things resulting in Con-Way Freight...
Big Spoon.....LoL.....:flame:

i can only assume you have no clue about cf or conway by saying this just like the idiot that started this thread

i wish the guys or girls would quit if they dont like the company and start or try to start something

i can only assume you have no clue about cf or conway by saying this just like the idiot that started this thread

i wish the guys or girls would quit if they dont like the company and start or try to start something

attack the post not the poster please even though I do agree with you 100% ... maybe they will get the hint

Heavy duty stapler.....or, and this works every time, the first time......a nail gun....

:duh:

Oh Yeah...I didn't think about that! Which kind of nail do you prefer?

Smooth or ring shanks...or perhaps the twisted kind?

Rat :biglaugh::biglaugh:

BoxBoss
How have these purchases helped the company and why did the company DUMP so much money into other companies?
Have you run a stock watch for cnw from 2007 to date or better yet look at the last two months???:loser:

Take a closer look at Con-way Stock, it has Mirrored the larger marketplace, not as several companies have, Dropped much faster than the market.

Take a look ay YRC stock, Ford, GM, Nearly any bank, they have all fallen much faster and more significantly than the market...

When talking stock prices in the current market situation you have to look at the price in comparison to the overall market and competitors, not previous numbers. I would challenge you to find a stock that is paying higher than their 2007 numbers. I would say there may be one somewhere but finding it will not be an easy task.

Your arguement that the purchases were bad based on stock price doesn't work out...

MG

Maybe they thought you was an alien or a Big Cute Kid:biglaugh:

I read the list the other day but don't have it available right now but the businesses that made it big were (are) the ones that make the employees part of the process of the company growing. Visiting the employees and working beside them.

Ol' Sam Walton use to visit around and not mind getting his hands dirty or greeting the workers. Shame what the place has become today.