Holland | Response to jodroadway and anyone else

Unionist

TB Lurker
Credits
Take the Time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unionist, I truly am trying to understand, care to clarify, from what I have heard, 705 wants a 1 yr contract with a $3.00 raise upfront? Is this what your willing to strike over? As for solidarity of the teamsters, your teamster brothers and sisters, you want them to stand with, by, and beside you for these terms? And yet, when the Company locks the doors,(IF?/And OR When)...Where is the solidarity for your fellow teamsters, that are not of your local, that are forced from work from the locked doors, because they share the same barn? What benefits are they entitled to too provide for themselves and/or their families? They technically are under another agreement? Are they entitled to Strike Pay? Laid Off Benefits? I came in at the end of the 94 strike, so have never been down this road, to be honest all I am seeing is possibly be forced from my job, by my fellow teamsters, cause even the contract before 94 was a 3 yr deal, now they have all been 5 yrs. Obviously, I have a wife and 4 sons, that I support, 2 with Special needs, one requires meds, and No I do not get any State or Fed help for my Special Needs kids. I want to understand what the true issues are. Just because someone else says jump from the bridge, doesn't mean I shouldn't have the facts straight to get an opportunity to find a parachute for a safe landing either. I can support a cause, that I can understand. But not at the mercy of hundreds of other brothers and sisters, being thrown under the wheels either. I appreciate the time in this matter.

Please do not think, one that ANYONE in 705 wants to go on strike. Because NOBODY does!

If they do, they are morons.

Instead of "hearing" what 705 wants, you should look at the information on the 705 website. It is all there for you to see. Then instead of having innuendo and rumor running around in your head thinking, “What a bunch of dopes at 705", you will have the facts in B&W.
Just type "IBT Local 705" into your browser and it will take you there.

Whether YOU stand beside me, in front of me or do not stand for anything is your business.

I do not need you to stand anywhere for me as I am willing to stand for my brother 705 members and myself to whatever end might come.

If you have, “been in” since after ’94 and you cannot understand Unionism and its philosophy,

I am not the one to instruct you.

I have “been in” since 1970, first in Local 744, then in Local 714 and since 1978 in Local 705

Many outfits many years ago cried "economic conditions" "economic conditions" got give backs then put the money in the principals’ pockets and closed the doors anyway, not caring about anyone but himself or herself.

Just think of your wonderful parent YRCW when they bought Preston.

They bled Preston of their routes and lanes, diminished them and finally closed Preston.
Not giving a s**t about their employees.

Many of which are now at Holland.

The point of this is that if they are going to close any of the YRCW entities, they are going to do it irrespective of anything any of us do.

If they intended to close Holland, why haven't they done it by now?

I mean, WHY negotiate a new contract if in fact you (YRCW) intend to close us.
It rings true to me, how about you?

I keep seeing NEW Volvos coming into and thru my terminal every week. Sure they can re-sign them but they keep coming marked "HOLLAND"

Did not YRCW just pay 70 million for the largest Chinese logistics firm in China?

They had money for that didn't they?

So what are we cheese?

If you think that this UE driver will not erode your city p&d as well as your road, you had better look at some other posts on the Holland forum. As well, talk to any road drivers that you come across in your terminal, see what they are saying.

The ones that come into my terminal are not happy whatsoever; they say that they were blatantly lied to by their locals. That the language is vague and grey.

That men have been laid-off and UE’s hired immediately. Do not take my word for it, ask a road driver out of St.Louis.(I think)

Think of this.

WHO has the ability to classify the freight?

You, Ho**a, your locals leadership, your members?

Holland has the right to classify their freight that is who. And when they re-classify your road or city work to provide the UE work, WHO will suffer.

You might not have to worry what 705 does; the danger is in your own terminal,
your own contract book, check it out.

Moreover, do you think that they are going to ask you if it is all right?

If you cannot understand what UNION SOLIDARITY is then I do not know what to say to you.

Did you consider anyone besides yourself when you agreed to the NMFA? Did you think of how the UE's would affect everyone?

Which is ok, as I suspect that you did not understand that 705 were negotiating separately from you? As does Local 710 in Chicago.

Did you think of the time in 6 mos to a year when most of this will be in place, and how bad you got f***ed

Did you consider the future? Your future? Your wife and kids future?

You must figure that that .44 cents an hour is going to go a long way to putting your kids through college, paying for their medication, buying you gasoline to drive to work let alone to your children’s doctors. Oh! In addition, how about the cost of food, I will bet your grocery bills are somewhat significant huh!

Nevertheless, you think that .44 cents an hour is OK.

Do you think that this economic slump, recession or whatever you want to call it is going to last forever?

Do you think that YRCW would be wanting to sign a five year agreement if they thought that the recession was going to last that long?

No, they would not.

My uneducated opinion, maybe this economic condition will last maybe another one, 1 1/2 yrs, 2 years tops. I am betting only yr and one half only.

That LARGE 44 cent per hour average wage increase over 5 yrs is really looking good, to you maybe.

Look, we might not get any more money than anyone else might, but we think that we deserve it just like we think that you should have gotten more money, benefits and better working conditions too.

What is up with ALL of the peripheral locals around Chicago signing a “Me Too” / “Favored Nation clause, if they want more of anything they should have the intestinal fortitude to stand up and fight for it not hang on the coattails of somebody with the guts to ask for it. THAT is just plain “CHICKEN S**t”.

If you had taken the time to look at the 705-website contract postings, you might have seen that some of what they are proposing is LESS than the NMFA.

Do you think we should accept anything less
than you did?

Personally, I do not intend to sign any agreement that pays my pension at the rate of 1/5 of the weekly amount per day. If you are out of compensated days and you do not work a day they do not pay. Now sometime later you decide to retire. If the 1/5 scenario plays out too many times during your career, you have to work additional time to make up the difference. How would you like to be a 10%’er?

Current contract is, work one day, and get contributions paid for the entire week.

In addition, you probably believed all the s*it your local told you, like other locals, that if you voted the NMFA down H**fa would either put your local into trusteeship or force it down your throat whether you liked it or not.

Which is at least one of the reasons everyone should be examining their leadership to make sure they (the members) like what is going on?

The $3.00 the first year from my perspective was our negotiators poke at the TMI panel after they asked, (because the $3.00 appeared in the first year) if it was a one Yr contract.

Even though the second thru fifth years were in full view although blank. Indicating our proposal was for five years.

My own personal take was that we would probably spread the $3.00 across the 5 yrs.

I have no inside track to that it was just what I thought would probably occur.

Do you have any perspective on contract negotiations?

It is just a fancy, more complex Horse trade, with each side trying to get the best deal possible.

In a nutshell.
Brinksmanship at its highest level.

I hope my dissertation has not turned you off to the situation.

Some people are followers some people are leaders.

What happens in the near future will clarify that premise.

In solidarity

Well I guess I hit a nerve, be it unintentionally...I understand unionism better than you think I do...Retired from the military, I knew which of my brothers had my back. Where did I say I agreed or didn't to the current contract we have? Majority rules. I will check out the 705 site. Thanks for the tip. I don't believe all the dips thats are in my local, obviously I didn't fully believe it about yours, or I wouldn't have asked you to clarify. Amazingly enough, when Yellow bought Roadway, I heard the same thing, give it a year and they will close them out. If My comments offended anyone, I apologise, it was not my intent. I was trying to get someone whom seemed to have their hands right in it, to explain in plain ole English what they want to accomplish for their contract. I didn't ask to be lynch and condemed for offering a perspective or opinion. And I am sure I'll provide for my family, as I have in past. It's just a bit easier to understand exactly what and who I am going up against. Best Of Luck, I hope everything works to your advantage. I'll do what I have done for the past 14 yrs here, show up everytime, and do my job thoroughly and completely. Ya'll be safe.

Sorry to have bit your head off and spit it at you.

Gets frustrating when everyone forms an opinion without looking where the information is, as I have posted a few times that all contract info for 705 is on the web. I apologize for taking it out on you.

Not even my own guys are looking and they are in the local involved.

My writing style is rather direct and construed as aggressive in its interpretation.

I do appreciate your asking the questions from someone in the thick of it.

Again, I do apologize. These exchanges are easy to go on in a short fashion as they are not a face to face verbal exchange. In which each one could read the overall language of the other, body as well as nuance of word.

705 is independent of, affiliated with, therefore negotiates by itself.

Well said Unionist.
The problem is that the Sheeple passed the Master by a 2 to 1 margin and they're happy getting sc***ed because their leadership said bend over and take it.
Many in 6 months will be wondering why in the hell did I vote yes, but it's too late. Just like the Patriot Act, people voted for a sham without reading the fine print.