Responsible Gun Ownership

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ABFer, Dec 30, 2015.

1. ABFer

ABFer Super Moderator Staff Member

It looks like we could use a thread to discuss responsible gun ownership, our rights and the laws. I enjoy hearing others' opinions (whether I agree with them or not) and would like to learn what the laws are where everyone lives. The Constitution of The United States gives us the right to own and bear arms but the specifics are governed by the individual states. I am in favor of ownership of anything one wants to own provided that they are not a known menace to society.

In PA we are allowed to own almost anything but class III (full auto) firearms require additional licensing and permits to the point that you need to be rich or fanatical to own them. Many, if not all of those regulations are federal. Any laws regarding what are known as assault rifles are federal laws. Pistols require a background check and have always required a 7 day waiting period known as a 'cooling off period' before taking possession. Oddly enough this has always applied (in my days) even if you already owned pistol(s). Our local police department is notified of the impending purchase.

We are permitted to carry openly in public places without a permit and concealed with a permit. Permits are available for anyone who does not have a criminal record, are obtained from the sheriff's department, and don't take long to obtain. One peculiar law, in spite of the open carry permission, is that we are only allowed to transport a pistol without a concealed carry permit to and from a target range, home and business, place of purchase and home, or a repair facility. So...I don't see how one can carry it openly in the grocery store if we're not allowed to transport it there. Transportation of any firearm without a concealed carry permit requires the firearm to be unloaded and I believe that the ammo and the firearm cannot both be within the reach of the driver. Except for that waiting period for one who already owns pistols I am OK with the laws that we have.

2. Ice Rider

Ice Rider Well-Known Member

As far as "responsible" Gun ownership, the day after I found out my wife was pregnant I purchased a gun safe. At 12 he took a basic hand gun safety course and at 14 completed a home defense class. My guns ( all but one ) stay locked in my safe and my son although more responsible than most does not know the combination. My wife has completed both courses as well and has her own pistol. I live in commiefornia with strict gun laws.

3. ABFer

How strict? How hard is it for you to buy a pistol, rifle, assault rifle, a concealed carry license (if available at all).

4. Ice Rider

CCW is almost impossible to get despite the state losing in court and being ordered to make it easier. 15 day waiting period on firearm purchases for background checks. Semi auto rifles are limited to 10 round capacity with fixed magazines. I registered my legally purchased UZI 9mm carbine 28 years ago ( which by the way has killed nobody ) and by California law I can't leave it to my son when I die...it must be surrendered to the state since it may not be transferred to anyone. I have not purchased any guns in over 18 years so there may be other laws that I am personally unaware of.

ABFer likes this.
  5. Ice Rider

6. Rastus

Rastus ......Deplorable.....

7. Magoo

Magoo You don't have to be Einstein to figure it out

:shit: happens I guess

Florida mom shoots daughter dead after mistaking her for an intruder.
    http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/flo...ter-dead-after-mistaking-her-for-an-intruder/

Florida woman killed her 27-year-old daughter after mistaking her for an intruder, officials in St. Cloud said on Wednesday.

Police said that the mother was sleeping when she heard something that sounded like an intruder at around 11:51 p.m. on Tuesday, the Orlando Sentinel reported.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to guess that firearm training helped make mom a good shot.

inRead invented by Teads
    According to police, the woman fired a single shot at the suspected intruder before discovering that she had shot her daughter, who died after being taken to a local hospital by emergency crews.

According to police,the woman died after being taken to a local hospital

8. ABFer

"RawStory"???? :hilarious: How 'bout you try some responsible reporting?

joes bar and grill likes this.
  9. Concrete Cowboy

Concrete Cowboy Active Member

Should of left her at home, sounds like hospitals are very dangerous.

Ice Rider likes this.
  10. Northern Flash

Northern Flash Piss on our Flag, get a boycott against you.

And according to Northern Flash, the mother is a irresponsible gun owner.

So who cares? Now she should be really proud of her irresponsibility while she's serving time in the pen for her stupidity.

ABFer likes this.
  11. ABFer

Part of being a responsible gun owner includes not shooting those you live with when they come home. In PA it is illegal to shoot anyone with a firearm except under certain circumstances. We have two laws that cover those circumstances; The Castle Doctrine and the Stand Your Ground Law, both of which outline the circumstances when it is legal to shoot someone (otherwise known as 'use deadly force').

Castle Doctrine:
    When in your home and someone forces entry you are presumed innocent if you shoot them and the burden lies on the law to prove that use of deadly force was not necessary. It would be hard to explain how deadly force was necessary when you shoot your own kin in the house. If you shoot a burglar in your house it is best to figure a way and a reason to have been scared for your life when you shoot them and as the old saying goes, "dead men tell no tales", and shooting them in the back will not look good. The po leece are in our court when we shoot an intruder but they do have their jobs to do and we should at least give them something to work with.

Stand Your Ground:
    Believe it or not we used to have a 'duty to retreat' when accosted in public by undesirables looking to do us harm. Now, if they come after us wielding a weapon and we are legal gun carrying citizens we are allowed to shoot them in their tracks. Once again, after you pull that gun, make sure that you get your shot off before they have time their back to you in an attempt to flee. Shooting someone in the back never fares well for the shooter.

Northern Flash likes this.
  12. Northern Flash

When going over home invasion types of scenarios with my family members, I've explained to them how shooting someone in the back is never acceptable, since the person is not putting you in imminent danger at that point.

Personally, I really don't care what any state's laws are, if someone is in my house un-invited and I fear for my family's safety, they're going out in a body bag. I'll worry about the consequences later.

And don't anyone come back with that "you think you're John Wayne" :horseshit: either, because I have a clear head. But I'll never allow my family to be victims of the trash of society. If they put my family in harms way, I won't hesitate, trust me. I guess that I'll take one for the team.

joes bar and grill and Ice Rider like this.
  13. Magoo

Andy Borowitz
    ·
    New Open Carry Law in Texas Helps Identify Assholes

14. Northern Flash

Mags, try to keep your Andy Borowitz :horseshit:over on your "::shit:: that I like thread" because most of us don't know who Borowtz is or give two :shit: what he has to say. I want to read the TB's member's thoughts, not what some Liberal fool has to say.
    (That's also why I avoid your ::shit:: that I like thread)

15. Magoo

I have so much bits of wisdom to share with you, I can't possibly keep it in one spot.
    And I know you need it

16. Rastus

Rastus ......Deplorable.....

How come there's so few stories about crimes stopped with a firearm? Doesn't happen or good old fashioned media bias?

17. ABFer

The latter of the two of course. Besides when that happens there's only one or two shot, not the four required to constitute a 'mass'. There have been two of those near me just this holiday season where the firearms were carried by other patrons and not the shop attendant.

18. Northern Flash

Lot's of those stories happen, but with the Liberal media, they never see the light of day. Guns being used for good things doesn't fit the narrative.

19. Magoo

The Police do it everyday

20. Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly Drat, Double Drat, and Triple Drat!

I call it a law that makes it legal to wear your penis extension in public. The downside is now the bad guys will know who to shoot first when committing a crime.