Yellow | Retirement....2015

I aways found you get what you give.

I have found, the more you give, the more they request. Either that or a Teamster brother is sent a letter of lay-off, because now, with the increased production, they assume the job can now be accomplished, with 9 employees instead of 10.

Same with goals. 7 years ago, the OB crew were treated to dinner every Friday night if we met production goals the prior week. (Pounds per hour.) Depending on the freight, no problem. Production started at 3,000. A month later 3,200. A month later 3,500. After 6 months, the goal was 4,500. Of course, we could no longer reach goal every week.

I have found, the more you give, the more they request. Either that or a Teamster brother is sent a letter of lay-off, because now, with the increased production, they assume the job can now be accomplished, with 9 employees instead of 10.

Same with goals. 7 years ago, the OB crew were treated to dinner every Friday night if we met production goals the prior week. (Pounds per hour.) Depending on the freight, no problem. Production started at 3,000. A month later 3,200. A month later 3,500. After 6 months, the goal was 4,500. Of course, we could no longer reach goal every week.
If you worked for Roadway, you would know, you will never get to a break even point.

If you worked for Roadway, you would know, you will never get to a break even point.[/QUOTE

Born and raised by Roadway from the very beginning.

At least, after years and years of butting heads, they finally learned to work WITH us, instead of against us. After all, isn't it about making money???

If you worked for Roadway, you would know, you will never get to a break even point.[/QUOTE

Born and raised by Roadway from the very beginning.

At least, after years and years of butting heads, they finally learned to work WITH us, instead of against us. After all, isn't it about making money???
Before the buyout, Roadway was really headed in the right direction with their workforce.

Before the buyout, Roadway was really headed in the right direction with their workforce.

Unfortunately there is no longer either heritage company. We can't go back. So we must try and move forward. I know it is as big a sacrifice as any faced so far. Any hope for the future of us all, those working as well as those laid off, depends upon it.

Good post Pilot! You asked so I'll answer. When I started several trucklines were still union,in fact I don't know who was'nt. The biggest thing would have been the double breasting at CF should have been stopped as soon as it started. This is not to blame anyone,but I've always tried to have respect for senior men at our barn. This is where I believe they should have stepped up. Not to reduce my role,but to lead as the example. As for me personally,I've helped on the overnite organization program although that did'nt go as well as planned.I blame our union for A big part of that. When driving I've always tried to explain the good points of the union to the nonunion drivers in hopes that they would pass that along to others they work with.

I agree on the double breasting issue..I've made the same point many times over the years that the Unions allowing Companies to double breast was a huge miscalculation on the Unions part....An example of the Top Leadership dropping the ball as it were...You are to be commended for your efforts to assist in the effort to organize Overnite.......It is vital, if the Union is going to retain any relevance on the Labor front, for them to undertake more such efforts...Looking up to the "senior" men to take a leadership role or to set an example to the "younger" guys is a nice thought and should be how it works...but unfortunately not all are capable of leading...or even want to...To step up to that does not hinge on seniority..but the persons abilities or desire to take on that responsibility... On the point of respect... I appreciate your trying to respect the "senior" men....however I'd like to make an observation... In my experience I've known many "senior" men that deserved zero respect...none....but there have been many great examples of "junior" men, or in some cases, women, through their attitude and professionalism deserved all the respect in the world...To be respected one must first be respectable...and that has nothing to do with seniority...Keep on passing along the good word for the Union...it's just one of the things the average person can do to help others see the value and the contributions that Unions have made to this Country....I appreciate your taking time to respond...!

Perhaps bankruptcy would have been the best route to go,then everyone would have known for A fact the situation plus we also might have had A little more flexibility with our lenders from the start and not had to give back as much. Sometimes you have to show people with actions Pilot to get them to understand. I've read on here dozens of times how people just say screw'em ie "the co." They believe that we got shafted on this whole deal from the start. If we would have had organized bankruptcy early,the workers would have known the co. meant it. I believe people would have worked A little harder and done things A little better if that would have happened. But when workers see big wages still being paid out,plus bonus's to the management it's sorta hard to take their word for much.

What kind of solace would one find in "knowing the fact" of the situation if it resulted in the loss of livelihood for thousands of teamster brothers and sisters and their families? I can't think of any case in which a Union represented Trucking Company that declared Bankruptcy reorganized and stayed open....There may be some examples of it but Even if that were true...most have simply closed the doors....liquidated.. and that would have been the fate of YRC beyond any doubt...As far as flexibility with the lenders....I've never seen lenders as flexible as in the case with YRC...without the Unions acting as a buffer between our interests and YRC's to the Wall Street backed lenders....they would have forced the shutdown of YRC before things got way out of hand.... I think in some part the exceptionally poor economy may have actually helped us convince the lenders it would be better to try and get through the recession than lose it all.......given the gravity of the situation it's actually remarkable that the give backs were not more extensive...such as the paid for Health Ins... in spite of the concessions it remains a better place to work than the alternative..if that were not so....most would have moved on the those elusive "greener pastures" ....You expressed your unhappiness and lack of concern regarding certain retirees that don't have much sympathy towards the plight of those currently working....but by your view that YRC should have been forced into bankruptcy just to "prove" to a few that they meant what they told everyone, is tantamount of the same thing... ..Risking the jobs of thousands of Teamster families without regard to their situations doesn't reflect the sympathy that you ask for from those that have retired.. just my opinion... The most important thing now is not to keep going over all the "what if" scenarios, but to just put that behind and move ahead and work towards making YRCF a great place to work for you and all those that hope to follow.... it's work....especially in light of the complaints about harassment and all those same things that have been around since there has been "us and them".. big bonuses for top management and all....Everyone got through it before and will again...

sorry pilot i usually like reading your post , but this new font you are using is nearly impossible to read with or without my glasses.
sorry im just getting old i guess

Press ctrl and the + symbol on your keyboard at the same time to blow up the text. Press the - symbol to shrink it back down...........

sorry pilot i usually like reading your post , but this new font you are using is nearly impossible to read with or without my glasses.
sorry im just getting old i guess
na
My apologizes to all that may have experienced difficulty in reading my previous font... and in particular to Mr Longblade for bringing it to my attention...So...going forward, starting with this post, along with all future posts, will be in a more, shall we say, traditional font!...

thank you sir .i do appreciate the effort .
and i even learned something because of scrabble's help :notworthy:

na
My apologizes to all that may have experienced difficulty in reading my previous font... and in particular to Mr Longblade for bringing it to my attention...So...going forward, starting with this post, along with all future posts, will be in a more, shall we say, traditional font!...

Copy the larger font size pilot. The size 1 font is unreadable to any over the age of 60. I just change the 1 to a 3 and I can read it without glasses but the..Press ctrl and the + symbol is a neat trick

Actually, I learned that trick from admin. Jeff. He posted the tip when a small print doc was uploaded. Just passing on knowledge. Credit to him for info and all the work he puts into the site.