ABF | Review for ABF Contract

papajohn

TB Veteran
Credits
Review for ABF Contract

Well it’s been about 12 months now since the 2014 contract been passed. I would like to know how it is working out for you. I know the no voters are not happy (Still like to hear from you) but how about all the YES VOTERS. You know who you are even if you won’t admit it. This is what the company/IBT and most important YES voters wanted. I HOPE IT WAS WORTH IT!!!

1. When you pushed so hard for the passing of this latest MOU, did you know that it was going to turn out this way? Are you satisfied with the results?

2. Has Purchased Transportation affected you? Have you sat home while Purchased Transportation is pulling your loads?

3. How is the company treating you since Contract being passed?

4. Are you satisfied Management is doing their job and bringing ABF back to profitability?

5. Are you satisfied IBT and the Local Unions have represented you and upheld the Teamster Constitution and bring back respectability.

All day and no answers. Guess everyone loves it or is so happy, they are speechless. OR so mad they cant speak.. Voted No, am dumfounded by most fellow workers and feel helpless and lost. Ashamed to be a Teamster honestly and cant believe the Teamsters are considered the most powerful union in America with workers and reps allowing this humiliation.

I voted no. The glaring reality I learned from this fiasco, our union doesn't have our best interest in mind when it comes to dealing with the company. Our leadership has become entrenched and is in survival mode, theirs, not ours. The lies in the last beg back, we're minuscule compared to the lies spewed by both sides this beg back. And not challenged on our behalf. I think our biggest challenge now is the new hands coming on board that are new to the union scene. They only know what they have now. They are ripe for company and IBT propaganda for future givebacks. And their numbers will grow as seasoned drivers see a company demanding concessions from their employees and look elsewhere.we need to educate them to what can happen with a divided and uninformed membership. Just my 2 cents worth.

i voted no. The glaring reality i learned from this fiasco, our union doesn't have our best interest in mind when it comes to dealing with the company. Our leadership has become entrenched and is in survival mode, theirs, not ours. The lies in the last beg back, we're minuscule compared to the lies spewed by both sides this beg back. And not challenged on our behalf. I think our biggest challenge now is the new hands coming on board that are new to the union scene. They only know what they have now. They are ripe for company and ibt propaganda for future givebacks. And their numbers will grow as seasoned drivers see a company demanding concessions from their employees and look elsewhere.we need to educate them to what can happen with a divided and uninformed membership. Just my 2 cents worth.

great post!!!

Review for ABF Contract

Well it’s been about 12 months now since the 2014 contract been passed. I would like to know how it is working out for you. I know the no voters are not happy (Still like to hear from you) but how about all the YES VOTERS. You know who you are even if you won’t admit it. This is what the company/IBT and most important YES voters wanted. I HOPE IT WAS WORTH IT!!!

1. When you pushed so hard for the passing of this latest MOU, did you know that it was going to turn out this way? Are you satisfied with the results?

2. Has Purchased Transportation affected you? Have you sat home while Purchased Transportation is pulling your loads?

3. How is the company treating you since Contract being passed?

4. Are you satisfied Management is doing their job and bringing ABF back to profitability?

5. Are you satisfied IBT and the Local Unions have represented you and upheld the Teamster Constitution and bring back respectability.
If only the membership would have the backbone to stand together instead of just sitting back and accepting whatever is shoved down their throats we wouldn't be where we are today. I personally could not vote yes because you could see this train wreck coming. As a 37 year teamsters:busted: I am disappointed that the future for the younger members was voted away. Soon people who voted yes will realize what they gave up. Only been a short while but puts is running unabated. Soon our pensions will take a hit. It really is a shame this used to be a good job . Hopefully people wake up soon and start to fight for what's fair.

If only the membership would have the backbone to stand together instead of just sitting back and accepting whatever is shoved down their throats we wouldn't be where we are today. I personally could not vote yes because you could see this train wreck coming. As a 37 year teamsters:busted: I am disappointed that the future for the younger members was voted away. Soon people who voted yes will realize what they gave up. Only been a short while but puts is running unabated. Soon our pensions will take a hit. It really is a shame this used to be a good job . Hopefully people wake up soon and start to fight for what's fair.

Another Great Post... Well said!!!

There was roughly 900 people sent ballots that didn't even bother to vote,....or send the ballot back blank,...or just write "None of the above",...invalidating their ballot,...but nonetheless, voicing their opinion. This is prior to the flood of new-hires. I'm sure that none of these employees would bother to get on this,...or any other,..site, and see the discord this contract has sown,....let alone answering some of the questions that Brother Papajohn has raised. What kind of people,....in a nation founded on the individual vote and voice,....would ignore speaking up,...or having an (anonymous!) chance to voice their opinion, fail to do so? For crying out loud,..they could've dipped their finger in cow manure and pressed it to the appropriate block on the ballot,.....and that would've been a valid vote! How lazy,....how fearful of reprisals from a two-bit local manager,....how brainless,....spineless,....clueless,....do you have to be to chuck away a ballot that directly concerns your future? And,.....how powerless,.....how miniscule,.....how foolish,....does a Local Union have to appear to these NON- voters,.....as opposed to the YES-voters,.......that they probably threw away all of the correspondence from the IBT , including their ballot,....immediately,......just as soon as it came in the mail. The ONLY redeeming value of the YES voters is that, at least, they took the time to vote,.....no matter how mis-informed, timid,.company-appeasing,...or rash,...that vote was. Just what kind of "fellow" employees do we have among us that are so cowardly,......so brain-damaged,.....so afraid of reprisals from their employer,....that they would give up ,....willingly,....their one chance to have a voice in how the company is run, and to,....momentarily,....stand on their own two hind legs, like a man,..and speak up to improve their families' lives,....instead of crawling like the insect they are genetically connected to, and throwing away their ballot like it scorched their fingers? Unions are the only organization in the world that does not have the ability to pick it's own members. The companies do that for us,........and sometimes they pick us some real doozies,........just smart enough to nod their head and smile without drooling, when the terminal manager slowly and patiently gives them simple and easily understandable instructions,......Lord Save Us from the uneducated,....the timid,.....those not smart enough to realize they DON'T have to Worship the company,.....just work for them.......

You know when I go to Union meetings at my local.I feel like I work for the red headed step child of ltl.OR I should I'm made to feel like that.After reading some of these blogs on ABF. I feel and you all feel like I do as far as our union treats us.No the brothers and sisters but higher up.Im disappointed in all that has happened between both ABF and YRC.Lies and coercion

I didn't vote, only because I was not an employee yet! Hired as a casual in october and then made the board in February. And I would have voted no! The purchased transportation deal would have been enough for me. I am a young guy looking for a good career and I hope I've found it. The company has treated me better than the other one I've worked at. And I thought I was coming to a place that wouldn't have to deal with all this pt. Crap. But what is really amazing to me is the apathy people have to what is going on around them. They don't care about anyone but themselves! I had to hunt around and ask to get a copy of the last contract just to familiarize myself with the nmfa. I'm surprised there was no steward to give me a contract book and sit with me and explain anything. I do feel proud to work here, and I am proud to be a teamster, I just hope I will still be proud in a few years or when I retire.

Seems like most of the guys that pushed for a yes vote don't come around anymore? guess we will hear from them in 4 years when they try to push for another yes vote....

Seems like most of the guys that pushed for a yes vote don't come around anymore? guess we will hear from them in 4 years when they try to push for another yes vote....

Funny how that works. Kind of makes you wonder if they were really teamsters at all!!!

i wholeheartedly agree ! we almost have as many new guys as senior guys now and most of em dont even know who our union steward is.it seems like he has just caved and figures if you cant beat em join em. he doesnt inform new guys of their rights and responsibilities as Teamsters. none of em have a copy of the contract or the uniform rules and regulations or the attendance policy. the steward plays golf with one of the meathead dock supervisors and he acts like youre offending him when you ask a controversial question that he wouldnt want to answer within earshot of mgmt. what are we gonna do to revive a sense of comradery amongst Teamsters ? we are doomed and not in the distant future if we dont figure it out Brothers ! old timers you need to reach out to the new guys and educate em. if you got some space throw an ole fashioned keg party and only invite Teamsters. create a little good old time style brotherhood by getting to know one another. otherwise bend over and kiss your asses goodbye . this ship goes down i think im done with trucking altogether. im tired of this ****!

i wholeheartedly agree ! we almost have as many new guys as senior guys now and most of em dont even know who our union steward is.it seems like he has just caved and figures if you cant beat em join em. he doesnt inform new guys of their rights and responsibilities as Teamsters. none of em have a copy of the contract or the uniform rules and regulations or the attendance policy. the steward plays golf with one of the meathead dock supervisors and he acts like youre offending him when you ask a controversial question that he wouldnt want to answer within earshot of mgmt. what are we gonna do to revive a sense of comradery amongst Teamsters ? we are doomed and not in the distant future if we dont figure it out Brothers ! old timers you need to reach out to the new guys and educate em. if you got some space throw an ole fashioned keg party and only invite Teamsters. create a little good old time style brotherhood by getting to know one another. otherwise bend over and kiss your asses goodbye . this ship goes down i think im done with trucking altogether. im tired of this ****!
At a yrc terminal I work at.The dispatchers give the new hires contract books.I saw that with my own eyes.

At a yrc terminal I work at.The dispatchers give the new hires contract books.I saw that with my own eyes.
About a month ago I asked my BA if he could give me a copy of the ABF contract that was bestowed upon us as of 11/01/2013. He checked with the international and was told he was the first person to inquire about ABF contract books and there was no order for any! Just goes to show what the international think's about the lowly freight employee's that got them to where they are today!!!!

You can find the abf contract online and down load it to your cell phone so you can look at it anytime you want. That is what I did. I am dumbfounded by how many guys don't know what they voted for. Get with it and wake up!!!! Let's stop this nonsense in 4 years and get back on track.

Did you know ups freight will be almost 11 cents a mile more then us on 1-1-18. That per chased transportation is really biting us in the butt!!! Thanks to all the yes voters!!! Get your head out of your butts and wake up!!!

Then why in the hell haven't the members held a re-call election? Might the answer be the majority of the members don't care or are happy with their current golf playing leadership. Just a guess here, but take away enough of the fruit's of their hard labor or treat the workers bad enough in the work place, And they will demand a new steward election. Until then, hang on for the rough road you are traveling. von.

That's the way it was on the YRC board also.
New users from overland park Kansas got on here telling everyone vote yes because this was the best job ever. We need to vote to live to fight another day was their battle cry. Yrc found the sweet spot on givebacks that they can't hire anyone new & had a mass exodus of employees that had enough & wasn't going to work for that giveback & be treated like dog crap on the bottom of managements shoe.

That's the way it was on the YRC board also.
New users from overland park Kansas got on here telling everyone vote yes because this was the best job ever. We need to vote to live to fight another day was their battle cry. Yrc found the sweet spot on givebacks that they can't hire anyone new & had a mass exodus of employees that had enough & wasn't going to work for that giveback & be treated like dog crap on the bottom of managements shoe.
Your right I remember it well & don't forget all the wife's chiming in....