ABF | Review for ABF Contract

1. No.

2. Yes, purchased transportation has affected me. The volumes of runs are not a problem, but the quality of the run certainly is.

3. Closing my terminal and moving it to Memphis. They will end up displacing roughly 350 families for a short-term gain the real estate market.

4. To be determined.

5. Have understood all long they were behind the eight ball in negotiating a contract with an unfair pension obligation to ABF. I spent a lot of time in these pages trying to discuss the pension issue prior to the contract negotiation. ABF hammered this issue down our throat and will most likely get a congressional reprieve before the next contract. A general lesson in life is if you don't solve your problems, others will with dramatic consequences.

Papa John, I believe it is safe to say this contract sucks. Should we have voted it down? Maybe, but the company was prepared for a lockout and it is really hard to say how that would have turned out.

Personally I don't think they were prepared for a strike this contract. The company was more worried about losing customers, and what was going to happen if our contract was turned down. Now the next contract you can bet they will be prepared with purchase transportation in place, and with ARCBest actively searching for another company to buy and will have it in place come 2018. WE GAVE THEM EVERYTHING WITHOUT EVEN TRYING TO PROTECT JOBS OR VACATIONS!!! Our best chance was to have protected our contract this time!!!

Absolutely correct..
Personally I don't think they were prepared for a strike this contract. The company was more worried about losing customers, and what was going to happen if our contract was turned down. Now the next contract you can bet they will be prepared with purchase transportation in place, and with ARCBest actively searching for another company to buy and will have it in place come 2018. WE GAVE THEM EVERYTHING WITHOUT EVEN TRYING TO PROTECT JOBS OR VACATIONS!!! Our best chance was to have protected our contract this time!!!

I'd just like to know why I'm seeing more and more ABF sets pulled East from California (on my twice a week run to Phoenix/Tucson) being pulled by God knows who. These clowns driving beat up former Knight trucks, weaving all over the lanes. It's not even Werner/CRST out here. Ran into one at the 94 mm in Tonapah when I stopped for a break, no se habla English..... Great...

We gave the company a blank check for use of Purchase Transportation in our latest contract without even blinking an eye. So you are going to see more of our sets being pulled by non union drivers, at the expense of our Road Board (Who by the way voted for this wonderful contract). I know they are only suppose to use purchase transport for only 6% of all miles, but apparently there is no one monitoring their use.

We gave the company a blank check for use of Purchase Transportation in our latest contract without even blinking an eye. So you are going to see more of our sets being pulled by non union drivers, at the expense of our Road Board (Who by the way voted for this wonderful contract). I know they are only suppose to use purchase transport for only 6% of all miles, but apparently there is no one monitoring their use.
yrc needed to have pts in the last mou, now they said they lost money because of it....only them....

no longer are running west coast freight through ABQ due to this. Roy states, they are only using 3% PT in the By Lines that was just released... Rollouts, empty miles my ass,, changed routes, companies hired dedicated drivers and now run bids hauling our freight. all for only 3%... Had a guy ask me whats the big deal, why does it matter? we are working and hiring?

i wholeheartedly agree ! we almost have as many new guys as senior guys now and most of em dont even know who our union steward is.it seems like he has just caved and figures if you cant beat em join em. he doesnt inform new guys of their rights and responsibilities as Teamsters. none of em have a copy of the contract or the uniform rules and regulations or the attendance policy. the steward plays golf with one of the meathead dock supervisors and he acts like youre offending him when you ask a controversial question that he wouldnt want to answer within earshot of mgmt. what are we gonna do to revive a sense of comradery amongst Teamsters ? we are doomed and not in the distant future if we dont figure it out Brothers ! old timers you need to reach out to the new guys and educate em. if you got some space throw an ole fashioned keg party and only invite Teamsters. create a little good old time style brotherhood by getting to know one another. otherwise bend over and kiss your asses goodbye . this ship goes down i think im done with trucking altogether. im tired of this ****!

Vote That Steward Out

I drive for YRC.At my terminal.The dispatcher hands out the contract books to the new hires.If the new hire doesn't know to ask.He or she doesn't get one..shameful

That's the Steward's job! He has to make sure ALL members are informed of their rights,.......along with dues collection. When the dispatcher hands out contract books, that sends the message that the company is in charge of..."Fairness",.....and for new-hires to have that misconception is dangerous and misleading! Where did the dispatcher get a big pile of books to hand out? Printing is done by the IBT,.....not the company. Your Dues,.....the Union's money ,.....paid for those books. They are the property of the Union! What the heck is wrong with your Steward/B.A?

no longer are running west coast freight through ABQ due to this. Roy states, they are only using 3% PT in the By Lines that was just released... Rollouts, empty miles my ass,, changed routes, companies hired dedicated drivers and now run bids hauling our freight. all for only 3%... Had a guy ask me whats the big deal, why does it matter? we are working and hiring?

The phrase past practice comes to mind