FedEx Freight | Richfield,Ohio Terminal (Cleveland)

Any idea on how much overtime they average weekly?
Bottom of the board doesn't see much. Top of board guys with early start times see 50-55 hours a week. Bottom of board guys end up working short road runs like Youngstown at the end of their day, or make runs to the pad for the triples guys. Neither pays well since you are paid road pay for those jobs instead of hourly.

So you will be doing city driving part of the day and then doing road runs the other part of the day? I would imagine you are on an on call status being bottom of board?

So you will be doing city driving part of the day and then doing road runs the other part of the day? I would imagine you are on an on call status being bottom of board?
Yes. You will be extra board. They will call you with a start time. Most start before noon, I actually believe just about all of the extra board is called in by 10am. CLE is a large city operation, routinely picking up over 2 million pounds of freight in a single day, and we seem to always be understaffed. Bad thing about extra board is when it is 7PM and you have been there 9 hours and they force you to run a 40 mile Youngstown run. No overtime for the road work, and you end up with a 12 hour day with just 30 minutes of OT. I've been here a while (over 20 years), so those things don't affect me, but they will if you are on the extra board.

How many city drivers and road drivers are there? How long does it take to get off the extra board and get a set start time?

How many city drivers and road drivers are there? How long does it take to get off the extra board and get a set start time?
We have 90 city drivers right now. I'm not sure how many are on the extra board, probably 10-15. Getting a start time will depend upon several factors. Some guys that could get a start time choose extra board because they are almost always called in earlier than the bid start time they could get. The dangerous thing about being low on the extra board is the possibility of not being called in if things slow down. That usually isn't a problem because it is difficult to get an approved day off here, and they usually get enough senior guys to take "company convenience" days when we are slow, which allows them to keep the junior guys working.

I think we have around 50 road drivers, but I am not certain on those numbers. Could be 60, I'm not sure. Someone else might chime in with a specific number.

Do drivers work the dock or the yard at all?
Yard work is done by dock workers. City drivers rarely touch the dock here. Sometimes if inbound is behind a route guy might finish his own trailer. Some road bids offer a dock option at the hub.

Yard work is done by dock workers. City drivers rarely touch the dock here. Sometimes if inbound is behind a route guy might finish his own trailer. Some road bids offer a dock option at the hub.
I'd like to hear from centers where drivers are EXPECTED to work the dock.