R&L | Right Out Of Truck School

D

deliverfast

I have heard R+L does alot of hiring of new drivers, giving them line haul runs. Is this true?

deliverfast said:
I have heard R+L does alot of hiring of new drivers, giving them line haul runs. Is this true?
I have never heard of R&L hiring anyone right out of school. I would be suprised if this has ever happened.

You have to be suprised then. I thought you had to have at least a year, but I have met 2 maybe 3 right out of school.

In my barn it seems to be the norm to get "rookie" drivers because thats all that is avalable in the area. The other big UNION carriers have all ready hired all the experienced drivers. If I the truth be told when interviewing I may have done that too.

I know in ATL, I don't see how they could hire anyone right out of school. They throw you to the wolves your first day on the job. I don't see how anyone with no experience could drive here.

That would be a GINORMOUS liability for R+L to have a fresh out of school rookie driving solo for them.

Welcome to the West. R+L is upagainst the biggest out here and with a weak pay system for LH and no OT pay for the city it's not an appatizing propasition for experienced drivers. When you get a new hire that doesn't understand the idea of averaging and how to manage there hours on a log book you got to wounder. When it takes them an hour to hook a set you get a little worried. When you have drivers ask you if you still work when it snows you really got to think twice.. Sounds like an experienced driver to me... :moped:

Whats the problem in Portland?Seattle starting pay is $20. Hr. or $2.50 Hr. more then Portland -Plus overtime after 40 Hrs.
That avarages out to about to about $7.50 more per Hr. for Seattle.
Sounds Fair to me??

Crazy One said:
Whats the problem in Portland?Seattle starting pay is $20. Hr. or $2.50 Hr. more then Portland -Plus overtime after 40 Hrs.
That avarages out to about to about $7.50 more per Hr. for Seattle.
Sounds Fair to me??
You on the right board??? Never heard of R+Hell pay OT anywhere.... Don't be spreading nasty rumors around, Ralph wouldn't like that!!!! Where did you learn math. I'm trying to figure how 2.50 more an hour starting pay turns into 7.50 more per hour????? Can anybody help with our little math problem:nerd: . Also next thing you will be telling me,that linehaul gets breakdown pay out in the west:hysterical: :biglaugh: ,because here in the great midwest it's terminal managers discretion if we get payed.. What a great deal!!!!!!!!!!

rubber duck,
I think the only reason they pay OT in washington state is it is a state law no mater what the industry. The company has to pay OT and wait till they get to California it too is an OT required state. When we were all at the mother ship a certain recruiter made the comment that they will hire more people rather than pay OT to the ones they have. So more people means less hours for all or more for some and little to none for others. Either way this mentality of operations would be out the window with that nasty U word. Better yet join OOIDA and get your voice herd. So go to OOIDA's web site join up and get your voice herd. :censored2: :shades:

Well I don't know if pay is the reason no one wants to work, maybe they want to and then meet the TM. Someone with experience can see right through a TM with none.

Or could it be when they find out that they will be required to put a football field in a soda can..LOL This is the only company that I have ever seen that uses 99% 48' trailers to make city/residential deliveries. I have done my share of free tree trimming...

Rubber Duck,
Yes,R&L pays OT in Washington state-Because its the Law.As for the $7.50 hr. I was factoring in aprox, 10 hrs OT a week.Where in the midwest are you from?
I figure Des Moines,Judging by your limited mathmatic abillitiy?I know Minnestoa pays OT after 40 hrs. also.Check it out?Iowa is the Arkansas of the midwest.

watch the personal attacks
1)Do Treat people with respect.

2)Do Not resort to childish name calling if someone does not agree with your view.
brutus

HEY MODS!
Somebody want to explain to :poster_stupid: what kinda behavior is allowed?
Either you do or I will.............

rookies

I have met a few in the midwest that have had less than a year of otr. It is scary when they take an hour to hook up. I know we all have days when it takes us longer than normal. Just not all the time right?::USA:

Thats what I mean, I know of one at my term, and for the past two weeks, his average time is an hour to hook a set. When I signed on to R+L, was told only the cream of the crop got on there. Is the crop lost it's cream?

Yeah, I guess that's true but, can't they curdle at swift before we get them!