RIP Greg Allman

From SONGFACTS,
  • Gregg Allman spoke at length about this song in an interview with the San Luis Obispo (California) Tribune on November 30, 2006: "I wrote that song in 1967 in a place called the Evergreen Hotel in Pensacola, Florida. By that time I got so sick of playing other people's material that I just sat down and said, 'OK, here we go. One, two, three - we're going to try to write songs.' And about 200 songs later - much garbage to take out - I wrote this song called 'Melissa.' And I had everything but the title. I thought (referring to lyrics): 'But back home, we always run... to sweet Barbara' - no. Diane...? We always run... to sweet Bertha.' No, so I just kind of put it away for a while.

So one night I was in the grocery store - it was my turn to go get the tea, the coffee, the sugar and all that other s--t... and there was this Spanish lady there and she had this little toddler with her - this little girl. And I'm sitting there, getting a few things and what have you. And this little girl takes off, running down the aisle. And the lady yells, Oh, Melissa! Melissa, come back, Melissa!' And I went, 'Oh - that's it.' I forgot about half the stuff I went for, I went back home and, man, it was finished, only I couldn't really tell if it was worth a damn or not because I'd written so many bad ones. So I didn't really show it to anybody for about a year. And then I was the last one to get to Jacksonville - I was the last one to join the band that became the Allman Brothers. And my brother sometimes late at night after dinner, he'd say, 'Man, go get your guitar and play me that song - that song about that girl.' And I'd play it for him every now and then.

• I remember this story from the book My Cross to Bear, by Greg Allman.

Last edited:
One of my all time favorite bands, and without a doubt one of the most tightest and skilled groups of musicians ever, came up with they're own sound with layers of rock, blues, and jazz, and just ruled. I saw Greg interviewed on CBS Sunday morning a year or so ago, and the interviewer brought up Duane, and Greg 50 years later still kinda choked up as he talked about him, tough year, Butch a couple months ago and now Greg. And I've always thought that Dickie is really under-rated as an artist and song writer. RIP

From SONGFACTS,
  • Gregg Allman spoke at length about this song in an interview with the San Luis Obispo (California) Tribune on November 30, 2006: "I wrote that song in 1967 in a place called the Evergreen Hotel in Pensacola, Florida. By that time I got so sick of playing other people's material that I just sat down and said, 'OK, here we go. One, two, three - we're going to try to write songs.' And about 200 songs later - much garbage to take out - I wrote this song called 'Melissa.' And I had everything but the title. I thought (referring to lyrics): 'But back home, we always run... to sweet Barbara' - no. Diane...? We always run... to sweet Bertha.' No, so I just kind of put it away for a while.

So one night I was in the grocery store - it was my turn to go get the tea, the coffee, the sugar and all that other s--t... and there was this Spanish lady there and she had this little toddler with her - this little girl. And I'm sitting there, getting a few things and what have you. And this little girl takes off, running down the aisle. And the lady yells, Oh, Melissa! Melissa, come back, Melissa!' And I went, 'Oh - that's it.' I forgot about half the stuff I went for, I went back home and, man, it was finished, only I couldn't really tell if it was worth a damn or not because I'd written so many bad ones. So I didn't really show it to anybody for about a year. And then I was the last one to get to Jacksonville - I was the last one to join the band that became the Allman Brothers. And my brother sometimes late at night after dinner, he'd say, 'Man, go get your guitar and play me that song - that song about that girl.' And I'd play it for him every now and then.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggeab0lKz2c

And we lose another, so many are passing away anymore it's hard to keep track of who did and who didn't.

From SONGFACTS,

Thanks for the heads up on that, I just put My Cross To Bear on hold at my library.

Reactions: mud
Before marriage and kids I could afford to see shows.....Grateful Dead, Neil Young, Tom Petty, AC-DC......and the Allman's........I've seen them all multiple times.

It's a passing thing, good music.....the radio is filled with no-talent trash.
They've moved on...progressed to stuff that sucks.

Anyways...this guy left us some really great stuff...thank God for bootleggers and lots of good recordings and clips which can be found.....the music industry buries a lot of treasures.
Allman's are my kind of music for my kind of people. A huge thank you to what the man and group has done.....Hopng that Warren Haynes continues touring...for when my kids are 18 and graduated...I'll be saving pennies to maybe see some shows again.

Blackberry Smoke on Gregg Allman: 'He Was Simply the Greatest in His Field'

Charlie Starr makes no bones about it: His group, Blackberry Smoke, wouldn't exist without the Allman Brothers Band. So the news hit hard for the Atlanta, Georgia outfit when Gregg Allman, the band's singer, pianist and primary songwriter, died Saturday at 69 at his home in Savannah.

"It is with heavy heart that we say farewell to Gregg Allman, the man, and perhaps we embrace his music even more tightly than we did before," Starr tells Rolling Stone Country. "Gregg's influence on musicians of our generation is immeasurable. He was simply the greatest in his field. The songs, the voice, the emotion ... Not to mention he was without a doubt one of the absolute coolest rock & roll guys to have ever walked this earth."

http://www.rollingstone.com/country...egg-allman-he-was-simply-the-greatest-w484660

Before marriage and kids I could afford to see shows.....Grateful Dead, Neil Young, Tom Petty, AC-DC......and the Allman's........I've seen them all multiple times.

It's a passing thing, good music.....the radio is filled with no-talent trash.
They've moved on...progressed to stuff that sucks.

Anyways...this guy left us some really great stuff...thank God for bootleggers and lots of good recordings and clips which can be found.....the music industry buries a lot of treasures.
Allman's are my kind of music for my kind of people. A huge thank you to what the man and group has done.....Hopng that Warren Haynes continues touring...for when my kids are 18 and graduated...I'll be saving pennies to maybe see some shows again.

Not many left to carry the torch of music with soul. Tedeschi Trucks, is another offshoot of The Allman's legacy. Clapton is still around but due to physical ailments can't play like he used to, seems his Crossroads Guitar Festivals are a thing of the past, which to me is just a tragedy.