Yellow | Rising US freight volumes propel LTL building boom

Freightmaster1

TB Legend
Credits
Driven by burgeoning freight tonnage and shipment volume, less-than-truckload (LTL) carriers are knocking down terminals walls, adding dock space and doors, and building new facilities at the fastest pace in more than a decade. The mini-construction boom follows steadier, sustainable growth in the kind of industrial freight shipping that moves across LTL docks and fills trailers.

Perhaps the most startling and most recent expansion plans are those of YRC Freight, which informed the Teamsters union last week it will open eight new distribution centers (DCs) to complement the 23 distribution hubs it operates today. The eight new facilities will help YRC Freight handle an additional 7,000 shipments a day, the company said in a July 25 letter.

“The constraints that exist within the current structure cause the company to regularly incur severe freight back-ups at seven of the present distribution centers,” YRC Freight wrote to Teamsters union General President James P. Hoffa and National Freight Director Ernie Soehl. “These back-ups occur most frequently during end of month and end of quarter freight surges.”

http://www.joc.com/trucking-logisti...olumes-propel-ltl-building-boom_20170801.html

:bgroovy:

OK who's going to tell him we're moving the around the existing terminals and not "adding" new doors...................................
'
Yep. They should have let BRG Consulting handle that press release,so we could have worded it better. Like telling them the freight they are taking away from the so called,stressed terminals,will be the same 7000 bills that the "new", terminals won't be able to handle either, because they will lack the 2.58 bill per hour dock people....Maybe the utility guys will step up?

No matter where you move the freight your still gonna need warm bodies to move it. You can add 10,000 doors into the system but until you up the pay scale your never gonna get the skilled personal you need.
Your also losing how many People a day on avg to early retirement because People have had enough of this crap?
Now your gonna deal with a generation of People who think hard work is walking from one computer to another.
Nobody wants to drive a truck anymore! Much less work the damn dock. And with all due respect most of the new hires I've seen would have never made it to the lie detector test at the old Yellow or Roadway.
Time have changed! I mean look at the nationwide shortage of Drivers in America now. What is the latest number? 250,000 short?
And YRC thinks they are gonna move freight out of say, Dallas to O.K. City (Or wherever) to get away from the "Problems" at the 511 Break?
HA! Better to have pissed off workers than no workers at all! Not many will transfer (And stay). And the Company can't hire anyone now. What the hell are you guys thinking?
A lot of what the Company wants to do in this latest C.O.O. dose make some sence. But you forget the fact that your not going to get People who will be on call 24/7/365 and then spend the next 30 years or so living in a damn day cab.

That's a laughable article.
Fake news at its best.
Now. I do believe in fake news. I've been convinced.

Saia is starting to show up in places they've never been before. Yea, fake news alright.

qAUDByz.jpg

Driven by burgeoning freight tonnage and shipment volume, less-than-truckload (LTL) carriers are knocking down terminals walls, adding dock space and doors, and building new facilities at the fastest pace in more than a decade. The mini-construction boom follows steadier, sustainable growth in the kind of industrial freight shipping that moves across LTL docks and fills trailers.

Perhaps the most startling and most recent expansion plans are those of YRC Freight, which informed the Teamsters union last week it will open eight new distribution centers (DCs) to complement the 23 distribution hubs it operates today. The eight new facilities will help YRC Freight handle an additional 7,000 shipments a day, the company said in a July 25 letter.

“The constraints that exist within the current structure cause the company to regularly incur severe freight back-ups at seven of the present distribution centers,” YRC Freight wrote to Teamsters union General President James P. Hoffa and National Freight Director Ernie Soehl. “These back-ups occur most frequently during end of month and end of quarter freight surges.”

http://www.joc.com/trucking-logisti...olumes-propel-ltl-building-boom_20170801.html

:bgroovy:
The only companies building are OD, XPO, Saia, FedEx and R&L. Old Dominion is putting all other LTL carriers to shame with growth and profit. They are the greatest comeback story ever.

The sector is booming. Capacity is bursting at the seams right now. But YRC's biggest problem is that they're uncompetitive in the driver market. The benefits alone just aren't good enough because a young driver wants money right now to pay the bills, not a health insurance plan they don't intend to use anytime soon.

If pay goes up, they'll attract more drivers. It's that simple. And YRC needs more drivers, just like everyone else.

No matter where you move the freight your still gonna need warm bodies to move it. You can add 10,000 doors into the system but until you up the pay scale your never gonna get the skilled personal you need.
Your also losing how many People a day on avg to early retirement because People have had enough of this crap?
Now your gonna deal with a generation of People who think hard work is walking from one computer to another.
Nobody wants to drive a truck anymore! Much less work the damn dock. And with all due respect most of the new hires I've seen would have never made it to the lie detector test at the old Yellow or Roadway.
Time have changed! I mean look at the nationwide shortage of Drivers in America now. What is the latest number? 250,000 short?
And YRC thinks they are gonna move freight out of say, Dallas to O.K. City (Or wherever) to get away from the "Problems" at the 511 Break?
HA! Better to have pissed off workers than no workers at all! Not many will transfer (And stay). And the Company can't hire anyone now. What the hell are you guys thinking?
A lot of what the Company wants to do in this latest C.O.O. dose make some sence. But you forget the fact that your not going to get People who will be on call 24/7/365 and then spend the next 30 years or so living in a damn day cab.
I know the workers at 511 have done a pretty decent job in the past year or so.Yet Overland Park has it in for these workers.Tyson Johnson is gone and 511 has been doing much better

I know the workers at 511 have done a pretty decent job in the past year or so.Yet Overland Park has it in for these workers.Tyson Johnson is gone and 511 has been doing much better
I've never worked at 511. But I have friends that still do. And my son worked there for two years after the joining of the two companies. He quit. It was so bad. The mentality there was too much for him. Not the work. Just the way he was treated because he just worked. Just worked. Hard to believe it has changed. Not from what I hear directly from the couple of people I know that are still there. Of course it's a pinhole view. But the people I know that work there are reliable people. Now. I know I'll get ::shit:: for this. But I don't believe it has changed that much. SOS at our place. SOS there.
Bigtruk. Please don't take this the wrong way. I may be wrong and I hope I am. Only way for this company to be successful is through us. We gotta quit f**king off. Not that I do. Just in general.
And take the chips off the shoulders. Jeez. People still side with one or the other now defunct company. Neither one exists anymore. We are one. And some won't come to that realization even after what? 8 years. Move on people and go to work.

Last edited:
I've never worked at 511. But I have friends that still do. And my son worked there for two years after the joining of the two companies. He quit. It was so bad. The mentality there was too much for him. Not the work. Just the way he was treated because he just worked. Just worked. Hard to believe it has changed. Not from what I hear directly from the couple of people I know that are still there. Of course it's a pinhole view. But the people I know that work there are reliable people. Now. I know I'll get :::shit::: for this. But I don't believe it has changed that much. SOS at our place. SOS there.
Bigtruk. Please don't take this the wrong way. I may be wrong and I hope I am. Only way for this company to be successful is through us. We gotta quit f**king off. Not that I do. Just in general.
And take the chips off the shoulders. Jeez. People still side with one or the other now defunct company. Neither one exists anymore. We are one. And some won't come to that realization even after what? 8 years. Move on people and go to work.
I thought that 511 has done a decent job.Alot of the dysfunction comes from management.Incompetent