Yellow | Rising US freight volumes propel LTL building boom

P. S.
As for freight volumes.
It seems as someone shut the tap off Friday.
First time I've seen the north wall of the dock in two months.
It's where the freight got pushed to bays from the night before we couldn't get to by inbound. The dock was pretty well cleared by 9 30 Friday. It was surreal because freight just kept piling up the last two months. And it just stopped.

I'm serious about incompetence.Just like the company took away our incentives (pay)It took from management as well.Morale is terrible.Company never listens to labor's input.
I agree. I see it every day. And I also took the cut. I'm right there with you. Stuck.
Nothing I can do but call em out on the obvious in a local sense. Or. Do it your own way. Without asking. What will they do? Fire you? Highly doubt they will fire me for doing the right thing. And they haven't. Because by the time I have it done they don't want to spend the time to undo it.
I work strictly the dock. Street is different of course.

As for corporate telling lies. When have they not? I don't believe anything they say and really don't care. They hired me to move freight. I do that get a check pay my bills and watch some baseball like right now. Anything beyond that is out of my control. Anybodys control.

Last edited:
The sector is booming. Capacity is bursting at the seams right now. But YRC's biggest problem is that they're uncompetitive in the driver market. The benefits alone just aren't good enough because a young driver wants money right now to pay the bills, not a health insurance plan they don't intend to use anytime soon.

If pay goes up, they'll attract more drivers. It's that simple. And YRC needs more drivers, just like everyone else.
I agree with you Canuck, but think you also need to add on time service, and delivery damage free, neither of which seem to ever improve..

The sector is booming. Capacity is bursting at the seams right now. But YRC's biggest problem is that they're uncompetitive in the driver market. The benefits alone just aren't good enough because a young driver wants money right now to pay the bills, not a health insurance plan they don't intend to use anytime soon.

If pay goes up, they'll attract more drivers. It's that simple. And YRC needs more drivers, just like everyone else.
But the compensation is set by current, older, often medically afflicted people. current workers will not vote to sacrifice health and welfare to boost pay for future employees

Driven by burgeoning freight tonnage and shipment volume, less-than-truckload (LTL) carriers are knocking down terminals walls, adding dock space and doors, and building new facilities at the fastest pace in more than a decade. The mini-construction boom follows steadier, sustainable growth in the kind of industrial freight shipping that moves across LTL docks and fills trailers.

Perhaps the most startling and most recent expansion plans are those of YRC Freight, which informed the Teamsters union last week it will open eight new distribution centers (DCs) to complement the 23 distribution hubs it operates today. The eight new facilities will help YRC Freight handle an additional 7,000 shipments a day, the company said in a July 25 letter.

“The constraints that exist within the current structure cause the company to regularly incur severe freight back-ups at seven of the present distribution centers,” YRC Freight wrote to Teamsters union General President James P. Hoffa and National Freight Director Ernie Soehl. “These back-ups occur most frequently during end of month and end of quarter freight surges.”

http://www.joc.com/trucking-logisti...olumes-propel-ltl-building-boom_20170801.html

:bgroovy:
Wait!!! Expand?. They explained in my words not theirs. That the road drivers at 135 that are not allowed to make any money on the road but are held hostage in some of the worst roads and pprest tractors. Got off the road and are now working the same amount of hours and able to make more money in the yard. This change is to again steal from these employees by taking now their overtime. So back to making lee

They could actually be more efficient by hiring competent managers and or supervisors plus add additional equipment not PTS and by bringing back more run control to each terminal within their region and not making cdo as the main shot caller.The company has all the facilities to do this without costing upfront monies for moving people around everywhere and I like the idea of having some drivers in Valdosta.Cuts time off of the West coast freight by at least 12hrs.As far as meet and greets is concerned there is a place for that on over flow and trailer imbalances

They could actually be more efficient by hiring competent managers and or supervisors plus add additional equipment not PTS and by bringing back more run control to each terminal within their region and not making cdo as the main shot caller.The company has all the facilities to do this without costing upfront monies for moving people around everywhere and I like the idea of having some drivers in Valdosta.Cuts time off of the West coast freight by at least 12hrs.As far as meet and greets is concerned there is a place for that on over flow and trailer imbalances
Pretty simple I think..no use making a mountain out of a mole hill

I heard yesterday at 309 they are looking at doing away completely with CDO,and leasing a dispatch service in Cedar Rapids,Iowa.... not sure who that company is though.....

Yes about every manager they brought in here has stolen. This one came in and saw coffee makers in the break room. And told them to get them out. That was because it cut into his convent vending kickback money. Now him and the safety men are stealing the morale and safety money.
We are almost a year without an injury. And you see these other terminals at 200 days get big picnic. ( now granted the last dinner the majority of the guys did not eat.) But get us flashlights. Tire beater sticks. Reflective t-shirts so we don.t have to wear the vest. Nice sweatshirt..
The safety man wanted to know where the information about the goals met and picnics. I told him upstairs on the TV screen. He said where I repeated. I told him I am about ready to swear he said that.s what I want.
So I told him since you cannot read I will take you upstairs and read for you.
So he left.

Competent.
Manager.
Two words that are like opposite magnets.
Supers are just paper pushers and number punchers.
No one is accountable for anything.

Going off the deep end! :27:

Agreed but they are handcuffed by the banks! Who own us !! Call the real shots.