ABF | Road driver interview

Pathfinder842

TB Lurker
Credits
I was interviewed last week at the south chicago terminal for a road driver job. I will get the final word within 2 weeks. Do any of you drivers work out of this terminal? Is it a good place to work? What should I expect as a new guy? Thanks for any input.

is this for full time or casual or fill in driver

There is no casual status for a road driver in central conference. I think only southern conference has casual road drivers.
I like going to 034 it seams like a good yard to work out of to me. Good luck,I am out of 002 - St.Louis. ABF is a good place to work I think. You wont get layed off at 034 they never layoff. I used to work at yellow there is allot more work over here and no road tractor is older than 34 months. I drove some OLD trucks at yellow!
I don't know where you worked at but this might help you out.
At the bottom of the board the smart move is to take every lay down you can get and when you get to a foreign yard ask to be "EXTENDED" so you can keep working real steady. 034 could be slammed with freight but at the bottom it will take hours to get to you just because 034 has so many road drivers.
You wont get extended at big road yards that never get exhausted like 064 Dayton or 042 Carlyle or 004 Little Rock but when you go to 100,094,002,003, you can get extended real easy on the weekend. You will figure this out but this might help you out in the beginning if no one gives you a heads up.
Again Good Luck
:smilie_132:

Thanks 12pack, I appreciate the info, if you are in local 600, im familiar with the area. Im from that area but the IL side of river.

Ask lots of questions to the other road drivers while your in dispatch waiting to be dispatched. ABF doesnt tell you much. You learn as you go. Good union frt company to work for...Good Luck!!