ABF | road driver

out of HOUSTON how is the schedule, days off, cpm average, is it system, weekends off. thanks
I don't know that we have any road drivers out of Houston on here but the rules of the game are somewhat similar nationwide. CPM is somewhere around $.60 with doubles. Single trailer pays about $.02 less than that. Drop and hook is 15 minutes pay every time you wind a landing gear up or down. I do not know that you can cruise the system most work is regional, out and back, maybe a layover or two. The longer runs to breaks that are full day to get there, lay over and return are probably taken by older drivers. Weekends off? Not a chance for a long, long time. It's more like ten off and back to work until either you are out of hours or you have worked the contractual number of days that are required to demand time off. Unless it's slow then time off would be a problem of different sorts. No vacation for 2 years, then 1 week until you have 8 years in when you'll get a second week. Vacation selected in seniority order so winter vacation it will be for a long time. Sick days accrue as of Jan 1 so no sick days until after that for new hires. There is a pension but one (Central States Pension Fund) in particular is in bad shape, if you happen to be in Western States Pension Fund there you would be in good hands, have to ask them about that one. Health insurance is still no weekly or monthly copay for us and it is excellent coverage.

I don't know that we have any road drivers out of Houston on here but the rules of the game are somewhat similar nationwide. CPM is somewhere around $.60 with doubles. Single trailer pays about $.02 less than that. Drop and hook is 15 minutes pay every time you wind a landing gear up or down. I do not know that you can cruise the system most work is regional, out and back, maybe a layover or two. The longer runs to breaks that are full day to get there, lay over and return are probably taken by older drivers. Weekends off? Not a chance for a long, long time. It's more like ten off and back to work until either you are out of hours or you have worked the contractual number of days that are required to demand time off. Unless it's slow then time off would be a problem of different sorts. No vacation for 2 years, then 1 week until you have 8 years in when you'll get a second week. Vacation selected in seniority order so winter vacation it will be for a long time. Sick days accrue as of Jan 1 so no sick days until after that for new hires. There is a pension but one (Central States Pension Fund) in particular is in bad shape, if you happen to be in Western States Pension Fund there you would be in good hands, have to ask them about that one. Health insurance is still no weekly or monthly copay for us and it is excellent coverage.
Good response. I am not a road driver, but don't forget the 63 mph (if you're lucky) trucks... Makes a big difference over the course of a trip...

You will most likely be working every holiday except christmas day .

We have a grievance filed about forced holiday work. There are two specifically named holidays in the W. Pa. Supplement that are forced from the bottom.......... That would be Good Friday and Veteran's Day......All others are........Holidays,...... and should be voluntary.

Conversely, for years, the company has been telling us that we HAVE to take our Birthday Holiday off. That is not true,......you have the option to work your Birthday,........ at time-and-a-half, plus eight,........

Can't have your cake and eat it,........The company can't contend that they can force you to work a Holiday,........and then force you to take off your Birthday Holiday, merely to avoid paying premium pay. Works one way or the other.......

It's our contention that Holidays,........other than the two specifically named that have separate language allowing a force from the bottom,..,......,are all voluntary,.....from the bottom of the board on up,......They are ...,..Holidays........after all....

They've taken pay away, they've taken vacations away.....now they want to take Holidays away,...........except for your Birthday, which they want to force you off on, to prevent premium pay,..........How much more do we give them? How much more "contract creep" interpretation is the IBT going to allow?

Holidays should be sacred......for ALL employees..........

Brought this issue up st the local. Was told the contract states you are entitled to holiday pay and premium pay when working on a holiday. Nowhere does it stare that it is a free day off. Their words, not mine. They basically side with the company

Brought this issue up st the local. Was told the contract states you are entitled to holiday pay and premium pay when working on a holiday. Nowhere does it stare that it is a free day off. Their words, not mine. They basically side with the company

I know. Yet there is specific language to force from the bottom on two holidays only. If the intent was to let the company force ALL holidays, they would've changed the language to include ALL holidays. They didn't.

And, of course,....... you'll hear some Union toady whine about " competitiveness"......and how the company "needs" us to work holidays...........but I'll bet you dollars to donuts that same Union toady would scream bloody murder if HE was told to work on a Holiday..........

We need a regime change starting with the top. They've been rubbing elbows and sharing bar tabs with management for so long now that they have little or no sympathy or understanding for the rank-and-file........ The uniform fiasco is proof of that. Those of us in the rank-and-file actually believe in Union solidarity and using Union vendors and American-Made uniforms........Those are our beliefs and values,..... And that's why that language was in Art.12.......

You could expect the company to disregard our values,.......regardless of all the mealy-mouthing they do about how "proud" they are to "partner" with the Teamsters........... But it's really ignorant when your own
..........." leadership "...........sells you out for scab vendors and uniforms made in China and Guatemala.........in SPITE of language to the contrary...........AND our General President bloviating about " Bringing Jobs Back To America.". I'm sure the irony is delicious in the corporate boardrooms across America........

Vote 'em ALL out.......prevent more of that "contract creep" where the company interprets the contract,........and our so-called.....
"leadership".. …....rubber-stamps it.......

I know. Yet there is specific language to force from the bottom on two holidays only. If the intent was to let the company force ALL holidays, they would've changed the language to include ALL holidays. They didn't.

And, of course,....... you'll hear some Union toady whine about " competitiveness"......and how the company "needs" us to work holidays...........but I'll bet you dollars to donuts that same Union toady would scream bloody murder if HE was told to work on a Holiday..........

We need a regime change starting with the top. They've been rubbing elbows and sharing bar tabs with management for so long now that they have little or no sympathy or understanding for the rank-and-file........ The uniform fiasco is proof of that. Those of us in the rank-and-file actually believe in Union solidarity and using Union vendors and American-Made uniforms........Those are our beliefs and values,..... And that's why that language was in Art.12.......

You could expect the company to disregard our values,.......regardless of all the mealy-mouthing they do about how "proud" they are to "partner" with the Teamsters........... But it's really ignorant when your own
..........." leadership "...........sells you out for scab vendors and uniforms made in China and Guatemala.........in SPITE of language to the contrary...........AND our General President bloviating about " Bringing Jobs Back To America.". I'm sure the irony is delicious in the corporate boardrooms across America........

Vote 'em ALL out.......prevent more of that "contract creep" where the company interprets the contract,........and our so-called.....
"leadership".. …....rubber-stamps it.......
All true, canary. I got a stunned look from a place I delivered to today wanted me to bring the shipment back tomorrow (Saturday), because he didn't "have room" for it and I told him we didn't work on weekends or Holidays. The shipment is in his back room as we speak.