FedEx Freight | Road drivers doing city work??

chitownpeddler

TB Veteran
Credits
In our barn they have been letting the road drivers shuttle empty sets to one of our big customers. We have 2 city extra board drivers that they pushed their start times back to 10am to make the numbers look good. The road drivers don't want to shuttle empty sets after coming off the road, but apparently were told they have to. Anyone else have this going on? And is it allowed?? No one says anything about it, but it seems kind of fishy!!

It sure does not seem fair.
We use road drivers for stuff like that but
only when we are really in a jam and all
of our city guys are spoken for.
You are not kidding it stinks !:nutkick:

No it is't fair. Over at WML our TM kept on adding zip codes to the Interline list while we had 2-3 P&D drivers sitting at home and everyone working 30-40 hrs a week. 2-3 times a week its was a full 53ft goin to one Interline carrier and the customer was just 20-30 farther up the road than our normal service area.The Interline customers sometimes were only maybe 10 miles from the city that our Term is in. Hows that for fair,now we have 2 less driver at the Term.

fr8rookie said:
No it is't fair. Over at WML our TM kept on adding zip codes to the Interline list while we had 2-3 P&D drivers sitting at home and everyone working 30-40 hrs a week. 2-3 times a week its was a full 53ft goin to one Interline carrier and the customer was just 20-30 farther up the road than our normal service area.The Interline customers sometimes were only maybe 10 miles from the city that our Term is in. Hows that for fair,now we have 2 less driver at the Term.
I bet that changes, FX likes to keep it all "in house", we pick it up and we deliver, except NY City....

FM

I hope your right. I think the guy with the suits on have the answer. I have one question. I wonder how it will work if a customer has some long distant freight but there is not a Nat. term around will freight pick it up or will Nat be dispatched to get it ? I know it will be a wait and see until the deal is offical. I hope that the interline carriers are over with at least for Fedex Natl.

Well?????

fr8rookie said:
I hope your right. I think the guy with the suits on have the answer. I have one question. I wonder how it will work if a customer has some long distant freight but there is not a Nat. term around will freight pick it up or will Nat be dispatched to get it ? I know it will be a wait and see until the deal is offical. I hope that the interline carriers are over with at least for Fedex Natl.
So far what I have heard is that National isn't supposed to to do multiple shipments over 1400 miles just one and two bill shipments per trailer, that remains to be seen. I bet though since they are a part of Fedex freight corporation you will probably see a trailer or two spotted in every facility and more if the metropoliton area supports it.

Familyman said:
I bet that changes, FX likes to keep it all "in house", we pick it up and we deliver, except NY City....

FM
Yeah you're right fedex likes doing everything themselves. How does it work in NYC?

Momoney said:
So far what I have heard is that National isn't supposed to to do multiple shipments over 1400 miles just one and two bill shipments per trailer, that remains to be seen. I bet though since they are a part of Fedex freight corporation you will probably see a trailer or two spotted in every facility and more if the metropoliton area supports it.
Watkins currently does from 1 to 30 bills per tralier nation wide, what ever it takes to fill the trailer, from what we've been told over here we will continue to do business as we always have. Sure seem like the 2 sides Freight vs National are getting 2 different stories:rolleyes:

chitownpeddler said:
In our barn they have been letting the road drivers shuttle empty sets to one of our big customers. We have 2 city extra board drivers that they pushed their start times back to 10am to make the numbers look good. The road drivers don't want to shuttle empty sets after coming off the road, but apparently were told they have to. Anyone else have this going on? And is it allowed?? No one says anything about it, but it seems kind of fishy!!

City drivers doing road runs,
Road drivers helping out in the city sounds
like TEAM WORK to me. What ever it takes to get the job done.

WELCOME ''overforty''

Welcome to the boards overforty.
Glad to have you posting.
Smokestack / FXFE

One time I went on the dock and moved some freight from a trailer that I brought back from my road run and I put it in a city van. Man, you should have seen me laughing at the city guys. I was all over that city work.
Chumps....

overforty said:
City drivers doing road runs,
Road drivers helping out in the city sounds
like TEAM WORK to me. What ever it takes to get the job done.

The problem I have is the inequality of it all. Where I'm at, city drivers are allowed to refuse short linehaul runs with impunity, but God help a road driver who wants no part of city work after he gets back in.

I wouldn't mind it so much if it weren't for the having to change trucks. Twice the paperwork, twice the windows and mirrors to clean, twice the pretrips... It's just aggravating as hell.