TForce | Road/Linehual Driver's

nightprowler said:
Hey UPGF-driver

Lazy people need to earn a living too !!!
What gives anyone the right to judge anyone else .

Is the 55 year old driver lazy because I can move pallets around faster with a jack ?

Is the driver with the back problem lazy because I can move a dolly around and build a set faster than him ?

Is a driver lazy because he takes the time to perform a proper pre-trip inspection ?

Is a driver lazy because he spends an hour in the shop with cracked brakes instead of pulling dangerous equipment ?

Is a driver lazy because he chooses to drive the speed limit instead of hammering down the road ?

How about some examples of what you consider lazy . It might just be me but I've always noticed that ' in the workplace ' , there will always be people that should be more focused on their job rather than everyone else's !!!

Well said Nightprowler.
I usually find that the lazy ones are the ones so concerned about everyone else instead of themselves.

nightprowler said:
Hey UPGF-driver

Lazy people need to earn a living too !!!
What gives anyone the right to judge anyone else .

Is the 55 year old driver lazy because I can move pallets around faster with a jack ?

Is the driver with the back problem lazy because I can move a dolly around and build a set faster than him ?

Is a driver lazy because he takes the time to perform a proper pre-trip inspection ?

Is a driver lazy because he spends an hour in the shop with cracked brakes instead of pulling dangerous equipment ?

Is a driver lazy because he chooses to drive the speed limit instead of hammering down the road ?

How about some examples of what you consider lazy . It might just be me but I've always noticed that ' in the workplace ' , there will always be people that should be more focused on their job rather than everyone else's !!!

I run with UPS drivers and there is one that milks it pretty good. :biglaugh:
Even they comment on it and laugh. However, most are great guys and do their job very professional. But USF doesn't have any lazy drivers. :duh:

Nightprowler;

Lazy to me is someone who looks to do the minimum even though he's capable of doing more. On our dock, they require that you bills per hour be somewhere around 5 and there are some who will do their best to attain that level and nothing more. Me, I can do 10 and I'm not running, I'm not racing around any faster than anyone else and I'm not pushing more than one pallet at a time. That's one example.

Another example is a guy who purposely takes his truck in for service just about every day just so that he can get extra hours on the clock and then he'll waste as much time before he calls in to report his departure.

Or what about the guys who waste an extra half hour each day when sent out to placard trailers.

Or the guys who make sure to take extra time on their city route to make sure they can get that hour of OT each day.

I could go on but the point is the same. These people steal from the company and they do it because they'd rather get paid for not actually working. I'm not talking about someone who slows down with age or someone who is more careful. There is a difference and my point is that the union is a haven for the lazy.

Seriously, I don't have a big problem with unions. I just don't prefer to be in one. Should we go union, then I'll have to accept it and deal with it. Now I ask, are those who want it willing to accept and deal with it if it doesn't happen? I suspect they'll try and try until they ultimately get what they want.

On the plus side of the unions, I do see some advantages. As was pointed out, as one slows down with age, you're more likely to be protected. (However I've seen drivers in their 60's who work just as hard as those of us in our 20's.) The accident thing in important as well and other issues along these lines.

But nothing says that without a union a driver will lose his job and it not guaranteed that the union can protect you either. You just don't know either way. But it would be nice knowing that you at least have someone or something else helping you out.

But am I willing to surrender my pension for that? That is the question...

I give them the same 110% I gave my employer from the first day I started working here...that will not change but they do not give back any more than they have to, but my work ethic will not change now that I am working for UPSFreight. Does it matter if they make the numbers? what extra do you get for it?,nothing...your treated as a number not a person. I can get my paycheck on payday and I can walk out of there with my head held up proud because I earned it and much more...that is more that I can say for some managers and drivers.

upgf-driver said:
Nightprowler;Another example is a guy who purposely takes his truck in for service just about every day just so that he can get extra hours on the clock and then he'll waste as much time before he calls in to report his departure.
Or what about the guys who waste an extra half hour each day when sent out to placard trailers.
Or the guys who make sure to take extra time on their city route to make sure they can get that hour of OT each day.
There is a difference and my point is that the union is a haven for the lazy.
I think you'd be surprised to find out that the Union is no longer a safe haven for the lazy, as you put it, like it might have been in the 70's. There are guys who do what you describe everywhere, Union or non. If a guy takes a half hour to apply placards over and over, why isn't your boss watching him to make sure he's not stealing time? If a guy goes to the shop every day, is someone checking to see if he has a legitimate need to go? Alot of what you describe can be attributed to Mgmt. allowing this behavior to exist. If a guy sets a pattern, they should watch him. Are they?
What kind of strikes me as odd is that you are so concerned about it. I know when a guy tells me about what another guy is doing, one of the first things I do is check out the guy who told me....alot of times behavior such as this is either an attempt to be recognized or an attemt to cover up one's own shortcomings by comparing himself to the worst of the worst, thus attempting to make himself look better. Either way, even at a Union job, a guy won't keep doing these things forever if the Company wants to build a case against him. In the grievance procedure, the worker has to win everytime in a firing....the Company only has to win once. We all know it and like I said, it isn't the 70's anymore.

you overnite drivers better wake up as soon as UPS gets your freight accounts going you drivers are going to be just like fedx ground you might work for UPS but you will own that truck .all UPS wanted was the truck load divison thats what they were after ...... they got the freight so now if they want they can shut the gate..............

10 speed said:
you overnite drivers better wake up as soon as UPS gets your freight accounts going you drivers are going to be just like fedx ground you might work for UPS but you will own that truck .all UPS wanted was the truck load divison thats what they were after ...... they got the freight so now if they want they can shut the gate..............
Are you saying that UPS is going to make the freight division O/O? What makes you think that? Shutting the gate on 14000+ employees, in my opinion isn't what UPS would want to do. Who would run heavy the heavy freight? Package?

Hey 10speed, do you work for FedEx? Most of the negative rumors I've heard on the road about us came from fxf drivers? Do you have an answer to why this is? That is if you are fxf. Thank you.

10 speed said:
Better lay off the koolaid dude !!!!!!!!:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

10 speed said:
Who cares. Trucks are a dime a dozen.

10 speed said:
Let me enlighten you a bit. UPS does not like O/O's. It loves control. Something you can't get with O/O's. We are having a hard enough time trying to get qualified drivers now, never mind O/O's. You really should lay off the pipe.

UPS has been working up to buying an LTL operation for 20+ years. They already have sleeper teams in the package contract. UPS is doing the same thing FedEx did, trying not to leave money on the customer's table. I also agree that UPS likes control too much to go O/O.

nightshadow said:
UPS has been working up to buying an LTL operation for 20+ years. They already have sleeper teams in the package contract. UPS is doing the same thing FedEx did, trying not to leave money on the customer's table. I also agree that UPS likes control too much to go O/O.
They were using them at UPS till we got language in the contract to put a stop to it. So why wouldnt they do it with yall?

Too much money is the reason why .
When they put some of the new sleeper bids up they were not the of greatest runs . We figured they were doing it so no one would bid on them thus allowing the subcontractors to take them . But the fact is that it cost a lot more to sub out the work . So now if you apply for a job off the street , in our district , you may be stuck on a sleeper team for a while if you want to work for Brown .
Not sure how this works elsewhere .

StlDude;

I'm not concerned and I have not, nor would I, report this to the TM. I bring it up in response to the question I was asked.

As for what I have to hide, I have nothing at all. My attitude and work performance stands for itself.

I agree as well that the sleeper team is the future in this business. LTL has more and more become Expedited LTL the past couple of years and running teams is the best way to keep the trucks and freight moving.

And in response to the O/O issue, UPS would have very little control over them and on that alone, they wouldn't be interested.

What you all have to realize is that when UPS decided to purchase Overnite and then rebrand them with the name 'UPS Freight' they put more on the line than the money used to purchase us. Their image is everything to them and if this thing goes south it won't just be UPS Freight that will look bad. It'll be UPS, period, and that is something that concerns them. So expect the same type of UPS package rules and expectations because we already know they expect the same results from us as they're getting from the package guys.

This thing will work, they'll see to it. The only question is will you be there when it does?

upgf-driver said:
I agree as well that the sleeper team is the future in this business. LTL has more and more become Expedited LTL the past couple of years and running teams is the best way to keep the trucks and freight moving.

And in response to the O/O issue, UPS would have very little control over them and on that alone, they wouldn't be interested.

What you all have to realize is that when UPS decided to purchase Overnite and then rebrand them with the name 'UPS Freight' they put more on the line than the money used to purchase us. Their image is everything to them and if this thing goes south it won't just be UPS Freight that will look bad. It'll be UPS, period, and that is something that concerns them. So expect the same type of UPS package rules and expectations because we already know they expect the same results from us as they're getting from the package guys.

This thing will work, they'll see to it. The only question is will you be there when it does?

I think it will all be good for UPSF people...

where do you think they are going to get the sleeper drivers? they will start at the bottom of the seniority and if you do not want to work you will be done...the sleepers will run right over top of you and you will be sitting home or working on the dock....done done done anybody got a big fork?