ABF | Road Tractors

poptart

TB Lurker
Credits
Has anyone heard any juicy rumors about what the 17's will be? All I have heard is that they bought additional 2006 Sterlings to avoid the 2007 engines. I have been seeing some high numbered 16's here lately with low miles on them that apparently haven't been on the road for too long. Like 16632 with 36,000 miles on it. The rest of the rumors I have heard may have come from wild imaginations!:hide:

07 Road Tractors

The order is for 495 Sterlings with Mercedes power. They will be much like the 06 tractors.
Delivery is to start in March.
The first 200 or so 07's will have 06 engines.
There are two 06 units with 07 engines on controlled runs from K.C to L.R.
The 06 units,(650), are in service & have been for sometime.

While they're updating the fleet, can someone remind them in Ft. Smith that 37603 is still at 188, and will make a great planter for someone...? :)

Of course they just put new tires on it, so it will probably be good for a couple more years....:(

07 Emission Standards

Yes, the Mercedes engines have to meet the same standards as other engines. The two 06 units that have the 07 engines look much like the others. There are some add ons on the engine but the difference that you will notice is the large muffler with sensors installed. The muffler is a catalytic converter plus a particule trap.
The two that are in service can only use the ultra low sulphur fuel (15 parts sulphur per million). Fuel suppliers started with the ultra low after the first of the year. That is what is available now. It will take a while for the storage tanks to be purged completely of the older fuel(500 ppm sulphur).
An interesting note is that the inside of the exhaust on the 07 engine units is as bright inside as outside the muffler.

Volvo Road/City Tractors

The normal cycle is for road units to be on linehaul for three years then be transfered to the city fleet.
For several years approximately 150-200 road units will be kept on the road for the fourth year then sold. There were 500 Volvos(2001 models), about 350 were transfered to the city fleet, about 150 were kept in the road fleet for the fourth year then sold to Yellow/Roadway. That same year,(2005) approximately 50 of the 2002 Macks were also sold to Yellow /Roadway. ABF has been selling 200 or so units to Yellow/Roadway every year for several years.

DCM DOCK,
Yeah, Roadway bought them , put them in the city, and they are better than the road tractors.
They have fewer miles on them , with air ride suspension.:chairshot:

volvos

What made ABF remove the Volvos from the linehaul operation?

The road drivers were too happy with them?
It was the ONLY time I remember that they sent out a driver survey and asked us what we thought of the volvos. ALmost all drivers said how much they liked them. um, after that they never bought another volvo.

Volvos

The main reason that no more Volvos were bought is that Volvo no longer will install the Series 60 Detroit. Ours were probably the last with Detroit power. Volvo also owns Mack & of course wants to use the Volvo engine in their tractors. In fact the Mack highway tractors have Volvo engines this year since they will meet the emission standards better than the Mack powerplant.
Detroit Diesel is now owned by Dailmer/Benz/Chrysler. Dailmer Benz also owns Freightliner,Sterling & Western Star.
The european companies (Volvo & Dailmer/Bens are fierce competitors & that is why Volvo will no longer use Detroit engines in their Tractors.

The main reason that no more Volvos were bought is that Volvo no longer will install the Series 60 Detroit. Ours were probably the last with Detroit power. Volvo also owns Mack & of course wants to use the Volvo engine in their tractors. In fact the Mack highway tractors have Volvo engines this year since they will meet the emission standards better than the Mack powerplant.
Detroit Diesel is now owned by Dailmer/Benz/Chrysler. Dailmer Benz also owns Freightliner,Sterling & Western Star.
The european companies (Volvo & Dailmer/Bens are fierce competitors & that is why Volvo will no longer use Detroit engines in their Tractors.
Thank you for some very intresting information:funky:

While they're updating the fleet, can someone remind them in Ft. Smith that 37603 is still at 188, and will make a great planter for someone...? :)

Of course they just put new tires on it, so it will probably be good for a couple more years....:(

MAN! I got a 14 for you what a deal! You want it and we want you to have it! It is a marriage made in heaven!!!!

:1036316054: :party-smiley-017: :beerchug:

What made ABF remove the Volvo's from the line haul operation?

ABF did a survey of all road drivers everyone overwhelmingly liked the Volvo's so ABF stopped buying them any more questions?

I would take an old Volvo over a new sterling.

I saw a new 17 last night at the shop at 051. I think it was 17048. Just in case ya'll are wondering, yes, it is a Sterling. Looks just like the 15 and 16. I guess we don't have to hear any more crying from our Road Drivers out of 051 about how they hate to drive the 14's.:hysterical: It is just a matter of time before they are all gone.:1036316054: