FedEx Freight | Road Tractors

bottlerocket

TB Lurker
Credits
Anybody know at what point road tractors are sold/traded in? Is it at 500k or 5yrs or just whenever the company is ready?can't get a straight answer from any mgmt or shop personel:ranting2:

I have heard so many diff stories. (go figure). It is definitley not the numbers you said... We have all old red Volvo's here, most 98 models, with well over 500K.
Of course where I am , we used to be in pretty good standing with AF, now, its the other way around. On the bottom......

Thanks Volare, I guess I should have clarified my post, the newer FEDEX tractors mostly KW and a few white Volvos where the ones I was referring to. It was my understanding that AF/FEDEX kept the red Volvos as long as they did because we where in that transition period with the rebranding of equipment and it was a cost issue. We currently have none of the older red Volvos at our center just new white Volvos and KWs:red_bandana:

Ah, ok... sorry. It is common knowledge that 500,000 miles is the trade in time, the worth goes down alot after that.

I was told that it depends on many variables, there isn't just a hard mileage limit. Our shop says they review trucks one by one to decide whether or not to keep it or sell it.

roog

I wish they would re-class some of the high mileage Volvo's and give away those crappy Internationals.

I know they want to twist the miles up as fast as possible..

a 2003 with 600k is worth more than a 2000 with 600k

In KCY they told us they are going to run the Internationals into the ground, they own them (instead of leasing, etc) so they will be around for a while.

roog

roogie said:
In KCY they told us they are going to run the Internationals into the ground, they own them (instead of leasing, etc) so they will be around for a while.

roog

Hey Roog, I think most of the ones around here have been run into the ground. They must have exhumed them.:shock:

nobody said:
We just booted a 700k Volvo today... still got the P.O.S. Internationals though.

We don't have any road unit corn binders here

Come on, everyone knows that the red tractors are not sold until all the red paint has peeled off and the tractor becomes white. Afterwards a careful examination is made to determine whether or not the tractor will be left in service.
Furthermore 1993 was a very good year for smurfs. As you may recall the 93 smurf came with window crank handles 'Standard' as well as an additional windshield wiper. So don't expect all the 93's to just evaporate.
You people need to stop worrying so much about your own personal comfort and start worrying about the bottom line. We are not going to be a profitable company if we continue to purchase fancy new equipment with air conditioning. Freon costs have gone up 38 percent since 1944 and if we don't get this stuff under control, where does it all end?
Stop being so selfish and bring a pillow to work if your seat is uncomfortable. You guys are truck drivers not politicians.

heres one u guys wont beleive i have a red international with less than 400k on it and it runs great and it has air and everything R6225:ranting2: