FedEx Freight | Road vs City

BumpDraft

TB Lurker
Credits
Thinking about going from the road to the city, I have a day bid now but the interstate driving is absolutely horrible anymore. You can't even get from point A to point B without taking a alternate route to get around a crash or construction. The road is just not enjoyable anymore it has changed big time. It's very stressful and boring. It's a tough decision, but I'm at a time in my life where I don't need the big money anymore. What do you guys think?

I would stick with Road for the simple reason you will go to bottom of city board and have to do all the crappy stuff like a newbie.

Our newbies, at least this time of year, get eased into the City. Volume stuff, shuttling, etc. Guess it matters that a center has a SM and ASM that actually know how to keep drivers.

Our newbies, at least this time of year, get eased into the City. Volume stuff, shuttling, etc. Guess it matters that a center has a SM and ASM that actually know how to keep drivers.

Yes they usually are when their new to company and have never peddled before, but he is not new to company anyways.

Yes they usually are when their new to company and have never peddled before, but he is not new to company anyways.
He's not new to the company but his statement indicates he's been a long-time Road driver. Not all have been City prior and just because they do Road doesn't mean they can man-up and do City from the get-go.

I love driving doubles. It's like nothing is back there. Put a '53 with tractor fairings and a tight yard and it's a whole different ballgame.

Ask him which he'd rather do :)

He's not new to the company but his statement indicates he's been a long-time Road driver. Not all have been City prior and just because they do Road doesn't mean they can man-up and do City from the get-go.

I love driving doubles. It's like nothing is back there. Put a '53 with tractor fairings and a tight yard and it's a whole different ballgame.

I started out in the city, but went to the road for the money. Road and city both have pros and cons. I believe local city runs are the future of trucking and not linehaul. The railroad companies are building more tracks to haul 1 and 2 day freight, driverless trucks, platoon driving etc! I agree 53 ft trailers can be a pain in certain situations. I definitely know first hand that the city isn't always easy, but the interstate driving really sucks and it's only getting worse. Most people would say I have it made with a day bid $80 grand a year but for me it's not worth it anymore.

I started out in the city, but went to the road for the money. Road and city both have pros and cons. I believe local city runs are the future of trucking and not linehaul. The railroad companies are building more tracks to haul 1 and 2 day freight, driverless trucks, platoon driving etc! I agree 53 ft trailers can be a pain in certain situations. I definitely know first hand that the city isn't always easy, but the interstate driving really sucks and it's only getting worse. Most people would say I have it made with a day bid $80 grand a year but for me it's not worth it anymore.

Hey, Bump. Didn't mean to imply you *couldn't do it* just needed a refresher :) Muscle memory for backing a pup to a door is totally different in many yards with '53, '48, straight truck, etc. :)

Been on the road from day 1. Did city work at another company and the worst part for me was the customers. Not ready to unload or ugly banged up freight that they want you to explain or shuffling freight around or pick ups. No thanks, I'll keep pulling doubles.:1sm057crazy:

Maybe I can help. Started as city, went to Road, went to city, went to Road, went to city, went to road, went to road, went to city, and now I'm back on the road....true story...Does that help you now? :6781:
If it the same center - you're a fruitloop :) So how does your seniority work? :woot2:

If you think tooling along on the interstate is tough because of traffic and construction, the city will give you a heart attack.

The problem isn't that you're road. The problem is that you run days. Running days exposes you to everyone moving around during the day. And that's the same for both city and road. Running days is accepting that you are out there when everyone else is. And that exposes you to more construction, more traffic and a greater risk of accidents.

Unless you have a reason to want to run days, if you're looking for lower stress in your work day my suggestion would be to bid a road run that runs off-hours instead of pure daytime. Start in the early morning or finish in the late evening. That way you're working the dock while traffic is busy and either starting or finishing mid-day.

If that's not an option, weigh your desires against the very, very taxing job of working the city and remember that city drivers are not immune to traffic, construction or accidents. I have a lot of respect for the guys who can do it, because I know I sure couldn't.

There is a bit of a double edged sword, on this, IMHO.

While city work is a healthier choice, in general, due to significantly more physical activity, there seems to be a tipping point. After many years, the types of physical activity required can take it's toll.

Case in point: It's pretty rare to see a city driver still doing it, pushing 70. Pretty common to see a road driver able to do so.

I won't get into the social and mental trade offs required, as there are too many variables, pro and con, subject to individual preference/tolerance.

On a final note, with me it’s just a matter of getting bored and I need a change of scenery and lifestyle from time to time.
I think with you, it’s more a frustration issue and perhaps you should adjust your way of thinking and just get your mind right..
I don’t think city is your solution this late in the game

Maybe I can help. Started as city, went to Road, went to city, went to Road, went to city, went to road, went to road, went to city, and now I'm back on the road....true story...Does that help you now? :6781:
Other than you're an old fart that can't think of new things? No.

17 years city (2 companies) 14 years road...

I always enjoyed city work until they started giving the hard chargers (like me) 16 deliveries every day and the slackers 4 or 5

Switched to road , when it's good it's great but when it's bad it gets worse.

Road Construction every 15 miles and loud beeping trucks and bad bad drivers, worse than ever, especially truck drivers