Yellow | Roadway pulling UPSF trailers

Docksteward

Teamsters Local 71
Credits
In the past week we have had several new UPSF 53' swing door vans come through, Winston Salem (671). From what I can tell they are comming from Atl. and the one that I loaded was going to Richmond (162). Nice looking equipment. I would have loved to got a photo of a RDWY tractor hooked to one and started some junk on the UPSF board:stirthepot: , just kidding. DS.

Hey DS,
Just wait till you see Estes pulling Roadway trailers. Here in KC our trailer pool is so messed up. We have given Estes at least 20 empty pups, and ABF 10 to go back east. Roadway has sold here approx. 50 old 217's and all of the 5 digit series pups. And we are still 50 over our "pool". We have been storing pups in the employee parking lot.

hilo@342 said:
Hey DS,
Just wait till you see Estes pulling Roadway trailers. Here in KC our trailer pool is so messed up. We have given Estes at least 20 empty pups, and ABF 10 to go back east. Roadway has sold here approx. 50 old 217's and all of the 5 digit series pups. And we are still 50 over our "pool". We have been storing pups in the employee parking lot.
Yep, we got some more pups in the old parking lot with the RDWY painted over waiting to be pulled away, this week. Just wondering if the pups being shuttled back are being taken off line, or just for "balance"?? DS.

Docksteward said:
Yep, we got some more pups in the old parking lot with the RDWY painted over waiting to be pulled away, this week. Just wondering if the pups being shuttled back are being taken off line, or just for "balance"?? DS.
Think its both.

yea we took maybe 20 new pups to the roadway yard couple years ago

and our chicago terminal has yellow and roadway pups there

would liked to get some pics of them hauling em

Docksteward said:
TM at 680 said Roadway sold 3000 pups nationwide since we are getting more vans.

Got about 18 or so 5 and 6 digit pups taken off line this week. Most are "slick side", but still can be converted to a deck trailer, if they wanted. The way I understand it, they have mgmt. checking all IB pups because they need to deadline another 20 more!? Hope we got enough vans to make up for it, we do have spring not too awful far away. I think it was last spring we started out with a lack of equipment, ya know I found out it was the dock workers fault?!? Yea, load factor was down, so we weren't filling the trailers, causing a equipment crissis. Sorry, my bad!!:duh: DS.

I noticed a couple new UPS trailers being unloaded and loaded at 671, this week. They are both UPS and UPSF trailers. The one I saw today was a '53 UPSF with "truckload" on the nose. DS.

Amazing how the bean counters and pencil pushers figure that a 53' trailer is better than a pair of pups. Let's see....
for starters ....
there's 3 feet less that can be pulled by one driver.
3 feet less freight that can be loaded for one driver.
more freight that has to be unloaded to find that "HOT" shipment.
not being able to load "vias" or relays.
53's can not be used for peddles in some cities like NY City.

About the only advantage I see is that there are more useable doors on the docks.
Yep, I guess this makes a lot of "cents"...pun intended.

Animo916 said:
Amazing how the bean counters and pencil pushers figure that a 53' trailer is better than a pair of pups. Let's see....
for starters ....

About the only advantage I see is that there are more useable doors on the docks.
Thats why its called a truckload division. :duh:

for starters ....

Cmon Animo, you know we never see the big picture:hysterical: