Yellow | Roadway Spy Newsletter For July 4, 2006

Kennesaw Kid

TB Legend
Super Moderator
PREMIUM
Credits
Roadway Spy Newsletter....7/4/06

Good and Happy Independence Day to all. I know it's been a long time since I published a newsletter, but with my "new scheduling", it is almost impossible to get to a computer, read the mail and compose a letter without drawing a ton of attention. One good thing is that I have the ability to move more freely throughout the system and talk with associates, one on one, and get the "insider scoop." I didn't die, haven't become complacent or been fired, just to clear things up. I have a couple of inquiries, so without any further delay:

R71/T241, Cincinnati, OH:

Have a look at this page at The RoadDrivers Weekly, the title of the page is The RoadWaySpy Newsletter. Follow the link to view the page: http://www.roaddrivers.org/roadwayspy.htm

Everyone should be aware that an ethicspoint complaint, which is supposed to be confidential was made into a false statement by Tom B. (relay supervisor) and the company (Cincinnati, OH). and used at a local hearing to try to fire or discipline the steward. The driver who made the complaint confirmed it was not what he said. Everyone needs to be aware that this is proof that not only is it not confidential, but that they are using it as a means of disciplining fellow Teamsters. You may contact the steward to confirm this if you wish.

Spy Note: I'll do just that. Fellow Teamsters, just a reminder, Ethicspoint is a direct violation of our Constitution under Article 2, Section 2, Page 7 on lines 18 through 26. Article 19 charges can be filed against an accuser and the accuser can lose his privilege as a Teamster, along with his pension and benefits.

R68, Denver, CO:

This question is "edited" to allow a fast response: "Spy, I'd just like to know why Roadway doesn't seem to be able to run their sleeper operation without everybody running over the top of each other. I came from another union carrier, which is now out of business, and they had a whole lot better operation when it came to sleepers. Maybe you can advise?

Spy Note: Let me have a crack at this. The company you speak of is NationsWay, owned and run by Jerry McMorris. NW ran their complete sleeper operations out of one domicile which was Denver. This operation enabled NW to set scheduling and provide service anywhere in the country without the fear of a "Run Around" claim. This was accomplished by giving the sleepers priority over their line haul section. Say you were a sleeper operator and were dispatched from Denver to Chicago. When you arrived in Chicago, your load was waiting on you. Now this load may go to Los Angeles, you as the operator had the choice of taking it there or back to Denver, depending on your respective bid. NW also didn't limit that operation to just their relays. If the load went to Caribou Maine, and you elected it, when you arrived in Caribou, you would either have a load or an empty to get you back to the closest relay, so that you could move on or return to Denver. Everything they had was contingent on passing through Denver. Now, if YRCW did that, and placed a "Sleeper" operation in say, St. Louis and Yellow followed suit by placing it's entire sleeper operation in Kansas City, we could cut the country in half, have two operating directions with just one hub and service the customers a whole lot faster. Maybe someone at YRCW will pickup on this and formulate a plan. Never Know!

R73/T341 St. Louis, MO:

Spy, hope you can help me. We are being forced to give up or first fueling by the company, and if we get less then 100 gallons on the fuel, they consider it a "No Fuel." Any ideas or suggestions?

Spy Note: I take it that this question pertains to Sleeper Operations, so I'll address it in that fashion. I had to go dig out your contract book and take a good look at this one. Under Article 56.8 of the supplement, it states that you must give up your first fueling. When I researched it further, the language in 56.8 is in direct conflict with Article 51.1 and Article 6.1. Also, there is no mention of it in Article 8.8 of the National, so my advise to you is to grieve it and see what shakes out. 30 minutes of time doesn't seem like much, but when you multiply it by approximately 24000 sleeper drivers in YRCW, that's a hefty chunk of change. Hope that helps and keep me posted.

EDITORIAL:

I've been on the go since the Change but I must let you in on what transpired in February, just before it. YRCW held a conference call to it's terminals in which it stated that should our Change go badly, they were instructed to pursue and secure our $1 M plus customers. This was a contingency plan just in case of failure, but I wasn't impressed. I know this to be factual as I heard it in a Midwestern location and 5 of my associates from various location throughout the country e mailed me with the same information. Make no doubt that YRCW was and is ready to step into the breach if necessary. I have noticed on my travels that there are many things going on. In some locations, The company is taking the position of time verification at rail yards. Others are questioning fueling times. Many of the major shops do not have sufficient parts to repair the equipment, and by far, Penske Truck Leasing is doing a "Land Office" business with our sleeper operations. All the perks that we used to give to our customers are being eliminated, as we have a new brand name and logo soon to appear -- "Roadway, Your Way." Hate to say it Boss, but we didn't need to have a "brand Change" as the old name is synonymous with service as it is. Been around for over 75 years and still going strong. The rumor mill is going strong also, but folks, rest assured that there isn't a "merger" in the near future. If YRCW decides to slam these two big companies together, the results will be a disaster. Every merged company that ever was is no longer in existence. It just doesn't work. Too many job losses, in a time where, we as drivers, are at a premium. Too much overlap and too many chiefs without enough Indians. Over the next few weeks, I'm going to be purging the address books to find out who is still good and who isn't, so don't be surprised if you receive an e mail from me wishing to confirm your subscription and current e mail address. I'm also being hosted by 2 web sites of which the newsletter can be viewed and downloaded. They are: http://www.roaddrivers.org and http://www.truckingboards.com

The Roadway Spy newsletter is open to all YRCW associates, management and labor. Got a beef or a question, drop me a line and let's chat. Until later, Have a Happy Independence Day and as always, Be Safe!

RoadwaySpy
[email protected]

Docksteward said:
Thanks for passing on the info KK. Glad to see "the spy" back. DS.

He e-mailed me the newsletter to pass on to others on my list, and I now have noticed that Roaddrivers.org has posted it as well. He said AOL (:nutkick: ) cut him off on his bulk e-mail list and has made it harder for him to get it out, so he is passing it on to those who can get the word out.....KK

hey kk can you tell us the reason that yellow is running freight around c-bus? us guys on the bottom are starting to hurt/ some have already give up and went elsewhere/ have made 8000 this year and thats not enuogh to raise a family on!