ABF | Roy M. Slagle "Consultant" @$27,000 per month

You may be lacking an education, but you aren't lacking a sense of humor :)
There's a ton I don't know. I just admitted to being ignorant of a lot of things on another thread last week. I've conceded a debate on this forum from time to time.
I'll bite and give you once chance. Roy did not go from $1.096 Mil/year to $27,000/mo. He went from $0, zip, zilch, nada, ninguno, nicht to $27,000/mo+ gag orders. And the reason is?

On October 24, 2014, the Board of Directors of ArcBest Corporation. ("Company") approved entry into a consulting agreement ("Agreement") with Roy M. Slagle ("Consultant") pursuant to which he will perform consulting services over a period of three years, commencing October 15, 2014. Under the terms of the Agreement, the Consultant will be paid $27,000 per month and be reimbursed for reasonable and necessary business expenses.]

I'll bite and give you once chance. Roy did not go from $1.096 Mil/year to $27,000/mo. He went from $0, zip, zilch, nada, ninguno, nicht to $27,000/mo+ gag orders. And the reason is?

What was Roy Slagles' salary on Oct.14, 2014? The only figures that I've seen are part of the SEC filings, and are for the year 2013.

In the business world it is not uncommon for high ranking executives/key insiders to have information that would be detrimental to the competitive ability of its' prior employer. Do you want Mr. Slagle to be hired by a competitor and bring that information with him (rhetorical)? We aren't talking about a sales rep leaving and taking a few accounts here.

Whatever strategic / competitive plans ArcBest has laid out for the next 3 years it is best if the competition learns of those plans after they've been implemented. You are binding him to non-compete (can't go work for a competitor) and confidentiality (can't divulge non-public information) agreements. You are going to have to compensate him for his inability to use the skills and knowledge he has acquired to produce an income.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you really think that a couple hundred dollars would be enough to keep fed ex or any competitor from offering more for what Roy knows? Besides look at what his pension is and you will see it is a bit more than 200,00O.00. Your take is a bit off I believe.

Do you really think that a couple hundred dollars would be enough to keep fed ex or any competitor from offering more for what Roy knows?

The non-disclosure and non-compete agreements are what gives ArcBest recourse. It does not matter what others might be willing to pay.

Muler said:
Besides look at what his pension is and you will see it is a bit more than 200,00O.00. Your take is a bit off I believe.

Not sure what you are talking about, I never mentioned a $200K figure, maybe you meant to quote someone else?

All these executives have their own contracts, own thousands of shares of stock and union employees view this as a worthless position for a company who was "in financial trouble" last year. All terminals have these madeup positions and its nothing but a kick in the nuts to union people..especially you guys that had to sacrifice in this last contract. Hell, who knows, they might bring wes kemp back for 20,000 a month to be "janitor of the new corporate office. Power in numbers!

That's the point.......Does ABF .....need....another "consultant"? Did Mr. Slagle.....have....to quit?....Was he...."forced".....out?....Or did some creative thinking come up with an idea to make more money from a company that only a few months ago, was preparing to close the doors. I guarantee you, Zollars to doughnuts,....if he came back, it was for more money than his salary was previously. Otherwise, what's the point of announcing your ...."retirement"....on a Wednesday,.....effective immediately? Anyone else get a whiff of that smell?.....The smell of "something's rotten in Denmark" smell......

That's the point.......Does ABF .....need....another "consultant"? Did Mr. Slagle.....have....to quit?....Was he...."forced".....out?....Or did some creative thinking come up with an idea to make more money from a company that only a few months ago, was preparing to close the doors. I guarantee you, Zollars to doughnuts,....if he came back, it was for more money than his salary was previously. Otherwise, what's the point of announcing your ...."retirement"....on a Wednesday,.....effective immediately? Anyone else get a whiff of that smell?.....The smell of "something's rotten in Denmark" smell......
I do, I do!!!! :wavey:

This is a release, required! This is a severance package,, broke up over time and keeps roy from obtaining work elsewhere for years, and makes him a consultant but he won't do a thing! Its a legal thing to keep abf out of trouble! Its no ploy or money grab against us... roy was **** canned or quit and abf is exercising a non comete clause of a contract they had with roy.. nothing more...everything isn't a plot aginst us.. this ahppens daily in big business. This exact thing just happened at my wifes work

No ploy or money grab against us,sure. No compete clause, normal in sensitive jobs and markets but in freight? And a gag order??? This isn't NASA, TSA, CIA, etc. it's moving freight. No compete clauses are usually part of pre-hire agreement, not post departure. $27,000/ mo for that? I smell a rat. A dead rotting rat.

No compete clause, normal in sensitive jobs and markets but in freight? And a gag order??? This isn't NASA, TSA, CIA, etc. it's moving freight. No compete clauses are usually part of pre-hire agreement, not post departure. $27,000/ mo for that? I smell a rat. A dead rotting rat.

While they may be more common at all employment levels in a different industry, they are much more common at executive / officer level positions at numerous companies, regardless of industry. The more non-public information you are privy to, the more likely you would be asked to make some type of agreement.

As to post employment, that is often negotiated upon your departure when your current employer doesn't want you to take the skills, knowledge, and/or information you have to your next job and compete against them. If you are going to render me unemployable for a period of time that is going to cost you some money.

Have to take yourself out of freight mode.. severance pkg with no compete is smart for all of us.. this just tells me the agreed to part ways or he was let go..no we are not nasa, etc.. but almost every big busines does severance, alot do non compete and if roy were undr contract which many ceo are, makrs more since... judy isnt paying roy for nothing, she has to.

Have to take yourself out of freight mode.. severance pkg with no compete is smart for all of us.. this just tells me the agreed to part ways or he was let go..no we are not nasa, etc.. but almost every big busines does severance, alot do non compete and if roy were undr contract which many ceo are, makrs more since... judy isnt paying roy for nothing, she has to.
It is all speculation for all of us, to that I will concede. I am not buying that he has some kind of detrimental information to me and my coworkers. I am buying that he has the goods on the company of some sort. You won't convince me otherwise and I won't convince you.
Stormtrooper: We don't need to see his identification.

Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi: These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Stormtrooper: These aren't the droids we're looking for.

Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi: He can go about his business.

Stormtrooper: You can go about your business.

Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi: Move along.

Stormtrooper: Move along... move along.

Simply knowing the next page of the marketing strategy playbook, knowing what the next new service to provide is, or property to purchase, or anticipated pricing increase are examples of things that would help your competition stay one step ahead. Anything that puts you at a competitive disadvantage, in one way or another could be detrimental to ArcBest Corp.

It doesn't have to boil down to who's sleeping with whom, or who has photos of who doing blow off a hookers' ass.

I disagree!!! IMO There usually is a confidentially protection included in every contract protecting the company’s best interest. When it comes to a high level Executive that would have access to very sensitive information, Company’s include and expect high level of integrity and discretion. THIS IS ALL PART OF THEIR PAY PACKAGE!!! You can bet ARCBest is not going to leave themselves unprotected, in the result of a disgruntled employee.

No president or CEO is worth the money they are being paid, and there should be no extra compensation when one leaves, or retires. This is all part of their pay package while holding their position … Giving Roy Slagle receiving $27,000 a month and ARCBest calling it a consultation fee is a joke (they already take care of their own). This is an insult and should **** off every single employee who took concessions, and loss of vacations while watching upper management receive Pay raises, bonuses, stock options, and other forms of compensation.

If Mr. Slagle was worried that his golden parachute wasn't enough he should have just stayed working. If he was fired then throw him out without any form of compensation.
Mr. Slagle is responsible for our current contract... THEIR WISH LIST WAS GRANTED WITH HELP FROM TEAMSTER NEGOTIATORS AND ABF TEAMSTERS!!! ARCBest AND ABF RECEIVED EVERYTHING THEY WANTED AND MORE!!!

Simply knowing the next page of the marketing strategy playbook, knowing what the next new service to provide is, or property to purchase, or anticipated pricing increase are examples of things that would help your competition stay one step ahead. Anything that puts you at a competitive disadvantage, in one way or another could be detrimental to ArcBest Corp.

It doesn't have to boil down to who's sleeping with whom, or who has photos of who doing blow off a hookers' ass.
:hysterical: :hysterical::hysterical:
Yea buddy now there's a list of sensitive information. Thanks for the laugh. I haven't noticed any earth moving changes in the freight industry since the diesel engine and that's been around since before my time. When was the last time you saw a company jump on board with such innovative ideas as you have identified when their competitor did it? Do you think maybe Roy will give YRC the layout of ABF's infrastructure? Or do you think he'll spill the beans on how ABF runs their road units in the city for ten years after they've got 600,000 miles on them so they don't have to buy city tractors? Perhaps he'll let the details of ABF's union contract out of the bag and Conway and FedEx will mimic our pay structure to keep the union out. Hell, maybe he'd even show them how our U-Pack system works if they can't already see that for themselves. :shrug:

EX396 you sound like Roy's agent throwing out a lame pitch for his exorbitant pay package.

EX396 you sound like Roy's agent throwing out a lame pitch for his exorbitant pay package.
He sounds like that on every board, most of the mods love him he has the same mindset as them, anti union. Never seen a time on any other board where he was called disruptive,"outsider." or some of the other fine words used against union point of view....sound like a dictatorship....

To me he sounds just like a few of the guys during contract time, trying to convince us how underpaid our company leadership was ... how they deserved more, trying to convince all how we are soo overpaid ... more important convincing teamster members that the company was in poverty, and will be out of business if we did not accept the contract without even trying to defend our current contract. Sorry I didn't buy it then ... don't buy into it now. Even a blind monkey can see that we were never in a financial crisis...Upper Management is already overpaid, and now believes they deserves more... at our expense. BS!!!

I disagree!!! IMO There usually is a confidentially protection included in every contract protecting the company’s best interest. When it comes to a high level Executive that would have access to very sensitive information, Company’s include and expect high level of integrity and discretion. THIS IS ALL PART OF THEIR PAY PACKAGE!!! You can bet ARCBest is not going to leave themselves unprotected, in the result of a disgruntled employee.

Exactly...

papajohn said:
No president or CEO is worth the money they are being paid, and there should be no extra compensation when one leaves, or retires. !

Of course I disagree. I could say the same about any union truck driver, we'd both disagree with each other.

I haven't noticed any earth moving changes in the freight industry since the diesel engine and that's been around since before my time. When was the last time you saw a company jump on board with such innovative ideas as you have identified when their competitor did it?

Funny you bring up the U-Pack...it is something different that ArcBest does. How would it have gone over had OD come out with a "U-Pack" campaign and all those containers offering the service and name about 1 day after ArcBest ordered all those containers? Just a small example of some of things that could bite you in the ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny you bring up the U-Pack...it is something different that ArcBest does. How would it have gone over had OD come out with a "U-Pack" campaign and all those containers offering the service and name about 1 day after ArcBest ordered all those containers? Just a small example of some of things that could bite you in the ass.

From past experience with you I should know better. But I'm curious as to what your point is so I'll bite on this. Isn't that basically what did happen with OD going into direct competition with the ABF U-Pack service? Are you implying that OD had some how obtained inside information about ABF's U-Pack service?