FedEx Freight | RTFM!

Back in the Pete with Eaton transmission.

Forward use of Creep mode seems almost useless in practice. It takes the word "creep" to the extreme.

In reverse, there is no "Creep" mode, but the throttle is much more forgiving in that uphill backing situation that was mentioned. A light steady throttle CAN result in a smooth/gentle bump of the dock.

More later. Gotta run, I'm off to the DMV for CDL renewal, and the ever popular HazMat test. Yay! :woohoo1:

zpZMq9J.jpg

Forward use of Creep mode seems almost useless in practice. It takes the word "creep" to the extreme.

In reverse, there is no "Creep" mode, but the throttle is much more forgiving in that uphill backing situation that was mentioned. A light steady throttle CAN result in a smooth/gentle bump of the dock.

More later. Gotta run, I'm off to the DMV for CDL renewal, and the ever popular HazMat test. Yay! :woohoo1:
Swamp is your experience with a R Pete?

Thanks,I have been in an L
I'm not sure of the configuration on the L units. I do know that beyond being under powered and lacking air ride (on 1st round specs), the guys that drive them seem to love them.

The low power wouldn't concern me in the city, but the beating from the suspension might. My reluctance to drive one stems from the low weight limit they/our's were initially permitted for. I hear they increased that limit, but have not confirmed it. :idunno:

Do you find any of what we've mentioned here, transmission wise, to apply to the L units?

I'm not sure of the configuration on the L units. I do know that beyond being under powered and lacking air ride (on 1st round specs), the guys that drive them seem to love them.

The low power wouldn't concern me in the city, but the beating from the suspension might. My reluctance to drive one stems from the low weight limit they/our's were initially permitted for. I hear they increased that limit, but have not confirmed it. :idunno:

Do you find any of what we've mentioned here, transmission wise, to apply to the L units?
The lack of power does not concern me at all.This one has air ride and it does help,compared to the baby KW I have been in that did not have air suspension.
Still experimenting with the transmission.The lag at 7th is there.Backing into dock on an incline is a total PIA.I will go back and re read some of your earlier post and do some comparing.

The lack of power does not concern me at all.This one has air ride and it does help,compared to the baby KW I have been in that did not have air suspension.
Still experimenting with the transmission.The lag at 7th is there.Backing into dock on an incline is a total PIA.I will go back and re read some of your earlier post and do some comparing.

So you like those little L Kenworth's? I drove one and I liked it real well, I came out of a 233" wheelbase 4 axle Pete with big front end and a 565 Cummins with and 18 speed. When I got in that little L unit I felt like I could go anywhere. It was underpowered but it never bothered me in the city, put that little truck in front of a lift gate pup and it was maneuverable.

So you like those little L Kenworth's? I drove one and I liked it real well, I came out of a 233" wheelbase 4 axle Pete with big front end and a 565 Cummins with and 18 speed. When I got in that little L unit I felt like I could go anywhere. It was underpowered but it never bothered me in the city, put that little truck in front of a lift gate pup and it was maneuverable.
Way back in the day I remember driving one of those ole L unit Internationals with the straight 7 speed and no A/C or am/fm radio...you could drive those little trucks anywhere!! Then they started giving us the old re-classed smurfs to drive and those were like driving tanks compared to those L units....but the smurfs did have A/C and a radio!!

Way back in the day I remember driving one of those ole L unit Internationals with the straight 7 speed and no A/C or am/fm radio...you could drive those little trucks anywhere!! Then they started giving us the old re-classed smurfs to drive and those were like driving tanks compared to those L units....but the smurfs did have A/C and a radio!!
We still had a couple of the L unit Internationals when I started but never drove one, they called those the smurfs up here.

This what you're talking about?

sJfuOVc.jpg

We still had a couple of the L unit Internationals when I started but never drove one, they called those the smurfs up here.

sJfuOVc.jpg

Those trucks were tough as nails. If had one today with a/c and radio I would bid on it. Could pull the key and keep it running as long as didn't pull the fuel shut off.

I did like the little KW.It was the perfect size to work the downtown alley's.The lack of air ride was rough and the radio was/still (in Pete) annoying.

sJfuOVc.jpg
I had L187,which was also an International,but not a Smurf.I had a great radio in a box with 2 speakers and AM/FM cassette player(Sparkomatic) built into a small bookshelf that I had made in shop class back in high school. Had a oscillating fan mounted to it as well.
Drove a L684,Smurf,then we got some brand new Freightshakers,L units.

Getting back to helpful tips... While I'm far from being an expert on the Auto-Shifts, I have found that in ANY technical, or tight quarters situation, the most gentle throttle application is much preferred. As previously noted, if you get in a hurry, it will bite back...Hard. This seems to become more challenging, and the potential to look like a clueless rookie increases, as the "sense of urgency" increases.

The only time you can safely apply medium-full throttle, would be when you have wide open space, either forward or reverse.

Question for the class: Has anyone found a smooth way to slide the 5th wheel? I've yet to find a way to avoid this being a "violent" event.

Crank the landing gear on down until there's a gap between the deck plate and fifth wheel, it's a little more challenging if the trailer is loaded and you may have to wait on the air ride to settle out.
Great advice JD...that's what I do except I don't leave the gap, I can find a trailer on the yard that was dropped way to high (there's usually plenty to pick from), and as long as most of the weight is off of the rear suspension, the 5th wheel "should" slide easily.

NOTE: I used the word "should" because in most cases it will BUT if one hasn't been slid in a while, I have had to go to the shop and have them spray lubricant on the pins and engage the 5th wheel slide unlock button while they beat them with a sledge hammer!! :1036316054:

Great advice JD...that's what I do except I don't leave the gap, I can find a trailer on the yard that was dropped way to high (there's usually plenty to pick from), and as long as most of the weight is off of the rear suspension, the 5th wheel "should" slide easily.

NOTE: I used the word "should" because in most cases it will BUT if one hasn't been slid in a while, I have had to go to the shop and have them spray lubricant on the pins and engage the 5th wheel slide unlock button while they beat them with a sledge hammer!! :1036316054:
The gap insures there's no weight on the fifth wheel, you'd be surprised how much difference a few hundred pounds of down pressure can make when sliding.