Reddaway | Ruffled feathers........

usftrucker

TB Lurker
Credits
In an effort to ramp up rumor control, I'd like to know if there's any truth to the rumor that LA basin union Reddaway drivers are pissed off, and fit to be tied because up here in the Northwest ,we haven't voted the 15% in yet. Can anybody support a union brother and admire someone for standing up, and seeing through all this creative bookkeeping going on?
Don't start any wars, just tell me if that's the thought going on down south.
YRC's the enemy here, not your Reddaway co-worker guys; union or non-union.

The side story in Orange

The hard core anti Union guys started talking about signing cards in Orange over the fact that the North did not take the cut. Of course they are still cowards, and it fizzled out. Maybe the problem was that they did not want to improve their own lives, they just wanted everyone to suffer. Cowards do hurt others, but usually they hurt themselves more.

I'm surprised word has not traveled up the 5 about this as it is not just in the LA basin it's happening in the bay area as well the letter that was and still is posted at 399 is up in the union barns in the bay area as well and yeah I wish someone would confirm it too. Especially sense I was there in person read the letter and talked to the drivers.

I was never trying to start anything I was reporting on what was happening.

399 is the LAX terminal and I tried to get a copy the one posted is behind glass and locked, heard from a couple of guys that it is posted in union terminals in the bay area do you know anyone who runs down there ?

399 is the LAX terminal and I tried to get a copy the one posted is behind glass and locked, heard from a couple of guys that it is posted in union terminals in the bay area do you know anyone who runs down there ?

How about taking a picture of it with your cellphone?

You know Steaker, just because someone does not endorse a union does not make them a coward. I am union and I fail to see where they have improved my life, unless you consider my paycheck being $100.00 less because of union dues and my contribution to my health insurance (which our non-union counterparts do not pay) an improvement to my life? PLEEEEZ enlighten me!
My job is no more secure than anyone at the Orange terminal. There are enough Union terminals around that if you want to be Union....go to one, but oh thats right...they are not hiring, I guess the truth of the matter is we are all in the same boat. So quit knocking your fellow drivers because of their union views and focus on what matters you went to work for this company when they were not union, WHY?. Dont think everybody else should change because you have changed your mind.

Cowards

I call them Cowards because they say they want the Union when upset. They scream Union when they are unhappy. Then they refuse to sign a card. They are Cowards. The true Anti Union guys at my yard are men of their word, who stand againest the Union on principal, I respect them. But the Supermans and Supertruckers who scream Union when their run does not make are just "COWARDS". Union protections in the contract are worth 50 a month. If you had to work without them, you would understand. But again, being Anti Union based on principal is Honorable. Compton pays 50 a month ? But I would pay 100 to have some job security, and so would all the guys who have been layed off at my yard, far more guys than the Union yard just 20 minutes away. Union guys work first, thats just a fact.

Job security? I would love to total up the amount of Union drivers vs Non union drivers in the YRC system that have lost there jobs and open your eyes. Honorable and courageous are words I think of when I think of my brother with 5 tours in Iraq (GO RECON ooorah!) or my nephew with 2 tours under his belt at 20yrs old (GO USMC 1/9!) not when thinking about a bunch of grown men trying to intimidate others into joining a union, give me a break. I cant tell you how many times I have said things in anger that I did not follow through with, that does not make me a coward...it makes me human. And I could argue that men that stand up for THEMSELVES and not hide behind Jimmy and a steward may have more of a spine than these so called corageous (LOL) men you listen to.Once again I will tell you I AM UNION! and I FEAR FOR MY JOB EVERY SINGLE DAY! it has brought me no security no added health benefits and in reality has only cost me money. I am living what you want. The grass is always greener on the other side but YOU STILL HAVE TO MOW IT!

I want to say also, I do work with a lot of good guys at my union terminal. I also have freinds out in the rocky mtn region at SLC and Denver, everytime a run gets switched from one terminal to the other they each say it is because this terminal is someones golden boys, my point is it happens where there are NO union terminals as well, the company moves runs for a variety of reasons and believe it or not...it is not always about the union. Unfortunately I believe they are just misguided morons that should listen more to the drivers. Steaker I believe you are a good guy to so I dont want to get into a big argument with you over it, I just wish we could have you spend a year at a union shop so you could see it is not all you believe it to be, you do not suddenly feel secure in your job.

I'm going to jump in here just to add one thing. The one benefit I like about a union job is the fact that management can not play favorites. They can't work one guy 50 hours because they like him and work another guy only 20 because they don't like him. That also goes in line with layoffs. They can't lay you off because they don't like you. It has to go by seniority. So that in and of itself is a little bit off job security. They also can't just fire you for no reason where in an at-will job they can fire you for no reason at all. They can make one up or whatever. The unions are not what they used to be but I think its still better than non union if only for those reasons I stated.

At most companies that is a plus, however anyone that has been around Reddaway for awhile knows it is virtualy impossible to get fired around here, there are a few people that I know that should not still be employed here but they are. Reddawy lays off by seniority bids are based on seniority as are wages and health care is still free to non union terminals.
I can not think of one instance where someone was wrongfully terminated (only wrongfully employed again LOL) and when dispatched around, those who have fought for it have mostly been payed for it just like at union shops

You are right, YRC is the enemy but everybody in Reddaway stick together. Nobody wants a pay cut, but if Reddaway is to survive then we all need to take a pay cut. Seattle has not taken the 15% cut and now they are going to pay for it. The rumor is that Seattle is going to lose Auburn and Federal Way to Tacoma. About 7 drivers and 3 dock workers from Seattle will be sent down to Tacoma. Those union people from Seattle will be forced to leave the union so that they can work in Tacoma's, non-union shop. This is only the start of the down sizing of Seattle.

At most companies that is a plus, however anyone that has been around Reddaway for awhile knows it is virtualy impossible to get fired around here, there are a few people that I know that should not still be employed here but they are. Reddawy lays off by seniority bids are based on seniority as are wages and health care is still free to non union terminals.
I can not think of one instance where someone was wrongfully terminated (only wrongfully employed again LOL) and when dispatched around, those who have fought for it have mostly been payed for it just like at union shops

Hubby was at Reddaway for about 5 years. Reddaway is the exception. The huge exception. But remember Reddaway is not Reddaway anymore. Its YRC so get ready for things to change as they already have started with the non-union barns.

I agree about it being YRC and please understand me, I am not anti union, I am not pro union, I just believe if you are going to pay a person or an organization such as a union to represent you, they should at the very least be able to get you a better deal than what you currently have like for instance better pay, better benefits more vacation time for years employed...etc they have a pension plan but if YRC goes broke what is it worth? it will not last without YRC teamsters contributing. So what is it that the teamsters contract will give you at this time that Reddaway does not give you? that is what no one can answer even the opportunity to vote on things does not mean the vote will go your way. In my state we do not have state disability insurance, I ended up in the hospital for 2 months last year unexpectedly, Reddaway pays short term disability to NON Union employees only, a small detail that the union forgot to negotiate into the contract I spent two months with no income if I were non union I would not have missed a paycheck. The devil is in the details as they say. Union - non union have been layed off so no job security for either side. What can the union offer that non union shops do not? besides a Tshirt and a card for my wallet and a chance to support OBAMA with my dues? Like I say give me a BETTER deal and I will support the union here but I have been on both sides of this issue and I am no further ahead just because I pay dues.

Well I have been on here enough talking about union and non union I am done with the subject, as I said last week our real problems are not union or non union the unemployment check looks the same. We need customers and to give those customers great service. That will put all of us back to work-union and non union then we can get back to these arguments (ha ha) I wish all of my fellow REDDAWAY employees a better new year and the best for you and your families I hope I have not hurt anyones feelings, we all have opinions and after all that is what the forums are for, sharing ideas and opinions we all want the same things in the end for ourselves and our families. Goodnight to all.

Well I have been on here enough talking about union and non union I am done with the subject, as I said last week our real problems are not union or non union the unemployment check looks the same. We need customers and to give those customers great service. That will put all of us back to work-union and non union then we can get back to these arguments (ha ha) I wish all of my fellow REDDAWAY employees a better new year and the best for you and your families I hope I have not hurt anyones feelings, we all have opinions and after all that is what the forums are for, sharing ideas and opinions we all want the same things in the end for ourselves and our families. Goodnight to all.

You have not hurt my feelings. I understand your views and right to them. It is not a bad thing. If everyone thought the same it would be a boring life indeed.

Job security? I would love to total up the amount of Union drivers vs Non union drivers in the YRC system that have lost there jobs and open your eyes. Honorable and courageous are words I think of when I think of my brother with 5 tours in Iraq (GO RECON ooorah!) or my nephew with 2 tours under his belt at 20yrs old (GO USMC 1/9!) not when thinking about a bunch of grown men trying to intimidate others into joining a union, give me a break. I cant tell you how many times I have said things in anger that I did not follow through with, that does not make me a coward...it makes me human. And I could argue that men that stand up for THEMSELVES and not hide behind Jimmy and a steward may have more of a spine than these so called corageous (LOL) men you listen to.Once again I will tell you I AM UNION! and I FEAR FOR MY JOB EVERY SINGLE DAY! it has brought me no security no added health benefits and in reality has only cost me money. I am living what you want. The grass is always greener on the other side but YOU STILL HAVE TO MOW IT!
:Off-Topic:

I want to say also, I do work with a lot of good guys at my union terminal. I also have freinds out in the rocky mtn region at SLC and Denver, everytime a run gets switched from one terminal to the other they each say it is because this terminal is someones golden boys, my point is it happens where there are NO union terminals as well, the company moves runs for a variety of reasons and believe it or not...it is not always about the union. Unfortunately I believe they are just misguided morons that should listen more to the drivers. Steaker I believe you are a good guy to so I dont want to get into a big argument with you over it, I just wish we could have you spend a year at a union shop so you could see it is not all you believe it to be, you do not suddenly feel secure in your job.

I'm going to jump in here just to add one thing. The one benefit I like about a union job is the fact that management can not play favorites. They can't work one guy 50 hours because they like him and work another guy only 20 because they don't like him. That also goes in line with layoffs. They can't lay you off because they don't like you. It has to go by seniority. So that in and of itself is a little bit off job security. They also can't just fire you for no reason where in an at-will job they can fire you for no reason at all. They can make one up or whatever. The unions are not what they used to be but I think its still better than non union if only for those reasons I stated.

You are right, YRC is the enemy but everybody in Reddaway stick together. Nobody wants a pay cut, but if Reddaway is to survive then we all need to take a pay cut. Seattle has not taken the 15% cut and now they are going to pay for it. The rumor is that Seattle is going to lose Auburn and Federal Way to Tacoma. About 7 drivers and 3 dock workers from Seattle will be sent down to Tacoma. Those union people from Seattle will be forced to leave the union so that they can work in Tacoma's, non-union shop. This is only the start of the down sizing of Seattle.

Hubby was at Reddaway for about 5 years. Reddaway is the exception. The huge exception. But remember Reddaway is not Reddaway anymore. Its YRC so get ready for things to change as they already have started with the non-union barns.

I agree about it being YRC and please understand me, I am not anti union, I am not pro union, I just believe if you are going to pay a person or an organization such as a union to represent you, they should at the very least be able to get you a better deal than what you currently have like for instance better pay, better benefits more vacation time for years employed...etc they have a pension plan but if YRC goes broke what is it worth? it will not last without YRC teamsters contributing. So what is it that the teamsters contract will give you at this time that Reddaway does not give you? that is what no one can answer even the opportunity to vote on things does not mean the vote will go your way. In my state we do not have state disability insurance, I ended up in the hospital for 2 months last year unexpectedly, Reddaway pays short term disability to NON Union employees only, a small detail that the union forgot to negotiate into the contract I spent two months with no income if I were non union I would not have missed a paycheck. The devil is in the details as they say. Union - non union have been layed off so no job security for either side. What can the union offer that non union shops do not? besides a Tshirt and a card for my wallet and a chance to support OBAMA with my dues? Like I say give me a BETTER deal and I will support the union here but I have been on both sides of this issue and I am no further ahead just because I pay dues.

You have not hurt my feelings. I understand your views and right to them. It is not a bad thing. If everyone thought the same it would be a boring life indeed.

Those union people from Seattle will be forced to leave the union so that they can work in Tacoma's, non-union shop. This is only the start of the down sizing of Seattle.
Forced?????
You can't be forced. That work has always been Seattle's and it will go back to Seattle after an arbitrator or the NLRB rules on it. It's just a long complicated process that gums up the works. Management knows it, and some day you'll understand it. It's all just a cheesy game that is designed to save a few dollars in the process, all in the name of beating the employee till morale improves.:Off-Topic: