SAIA | Rules on being "cut" ?

nrpick

TB Lurker
Credits
Never can get a clear answer on exactly what this is or how you qualify for it.

Also what benefits do I get as an extra board driver if I am cut?

Thanks!

Usually the cuts start from the bottom and work their way up at their domiciled barn. If they have drivers at the motel they will run and leave the guys at home. Some cases you get a 2 hour show pay unless you want to use personal or vacation time saved up.

It rarely happens at my terminal, but we rotate cuts in the same lane/type of run. Meet drivers never get cut bc of what happens on the other end. If all scheduled drivers have runs and then the extra driver is cut unless central needs them to chase freight with mty's. Benefits, none. Just that you will run out the next day/night and as mentioned before if you are at the terminal and get cut you get 2 hours pay.

It has not happened at my place in the 9 years ive been here. There was a time freight was really, really slow years ago and it could have happened. But instead of cutting in the lane we were short, we cut across lanes and ran each others so it didnt happen

I was cut this week ,showed up to work and was cut ,asked for my 2 hrs for showing up and was told per v.p of linehaul we can now work it off , but would no longer be paid 2 hrs for showing up and going home.

Rob is a pretty stand up guy, so if he said it, I guess its true? Its news to me though. Normally around here if there is a change in policy we get a memo and have to sign off on it.

Was told it actually started last year, I was not cut last year so do not know. And as far as being policy, I did not see in the linehaul handbook under cut policy where is addresses pay policy for showing up and being cut. I have been in linehaul a number of years and never had an issue with being paid my 2 hrs untill now.

Guys I hate to say it but the company can do whatever the heck they want. They aren't here to coddle us...if you get cut twice in a week, they will just ask you to be patient until freight picks up. If you show up and get cut, they will say you could have checked online for a load before reporting to work. The fact is they are big and we are not. Everything could be explained with "if you don't like it, find another job." I have personally heard this from management so keep these things in mind

That is all true bigbuck. In the end, its their playground. I have never read the entire book(s), but i skimmed it last year looking for something else. All we can do is comment on what has happened in the past. I am 99% certain there is nothing saying you cannot be cut 2 or more times in a week though. The delay pay is pretty well stated, but back around 06-08 they were telling even system guys if they wanted to be paid for waiting they had to clock in. Myself and another got delay pay for waiting though and just sat in the driver's room. There were a couple instances I was asked to pick up at Cato and did though. Dunno is all I can say

Looks like im being cut again.

Has the freight really already started to slow down?

Plus why are we hiring if the drivers we have already aren't getting work?

Nrpick everyone on the board is suppose to be cut once before you are cut again. That is not always the case, but that is in the cut policy of the linehaul handbook. Not sure if you are a system driver but this time of year when I was in the system the best thing that worked for me was to try and leave out on sunday and stay gone all week, more often than not it worked out for me. And remember if you are domiciled at a terminal that has weekend work you can bump a city driver off of a run or bump a linehaul driver if you only have 3 or 4 runs that week and it would be their 6th run for the week.

Bareknucklebrawler I was thinking the same thing I got cut last week if u can just get away from your home terminal cause I don't think they gone have u sitting at a Laquinta Inn day after day central gone have u grabbing empties at least and going where the freights at if u are away from where u are domicile

here it is

CUT POLICY
In the event business conditions produce fewer loads than the number of drivers that are available for dispatch, the following procedures will be followed:
1. Foreign drivers will run. Drivers at home will be considered for cuts.
2. Each terminal will maintain a cut report that will list all line haul drivers by length of service with the company. Cuts will be made on a rotating basis starting with the least senior driver at home on the night of the cut. As cuts are necessary each driver at home (scheduled or system) will be cut one time before any one driver is cut a second time, all things being equal. When a scheduled driver is cut, a system driver will be assigned to that dispatch. Scheduled drivers will be returned to their schedules as soon as possible

I wouldn't be clocking in once you arrive at the terminal. All that is goin to do is **** off the TM and get a target painted squarely on your back. Don't take this the wrong way, but it's kinda childish too...if you have a problem with this or any other situation, it's best to give the benefit of the doubt and talk to your manager face to face. At least that way the other party won't feel blindsided, like when they go to approve payroll and their numbers are all out of whack...

I never have clocked in w/o a work-off. But people are getting away with it. I am done with this company anyway I have a interview next week. I can't afford to stay.. Good luck.