ABF | Rumor Has It

I heard the same rumor! I was also told that the ABF lawsuit against the Teamsters Union might just "disappear" because of this deal!? Stay tuned next week for all the details!

:stirthepot:

I heard it from a very reliable source that it's a done deal and I believe you are also correct about that lawsuit too! Also...inquiring minds want to know what did this have to do with Tyson?

This is a real back room looking deal. If this is the truth The Texasas Turncoat has out done himself. If the change went thru as written then a lot of road drivers will be displaced. All without even having any say so in the decision making process.
ABF can only ask for things the IBT has to choose whether or not to allow them what they want. This would be a reason for The Texass Turncoat to be thrown out as National Freight Director immediately. We deserve better than him. He lied to us on the beg back and now he RAT HOLES US IN A BACK ROOM DEAL. WE WILL SEE! YOUR PISSED OFF BROTHER ALWAYS!

I going to be hard to trust them at contract time.

I agree...after that beg back attempt with all the flat out lies from the very onset of it's conception to the very end by Tyson. This is one ABFer that will never believe one word that comes from his mouth and I think that him being removed from the committee is a great plus for us ABF Teamsters. It's a start and we have to stand together and show that we will not tolerate any more shenanigans like that in the future!

On a different subject, I heard they may back off on pricing on certain accounts. God I hope so we need to get all our people back to work....

On a different subject, I heard they may back off on pricing on certain accounts. God I hope so we need to get all our people back to work....
Funny you say this.
If you factor in that an ABF Road Driver earns about $35.00 an hour in wages while driving compared to a UE drivers $25.00 an hour that equals a very large cost savings. Then add in the fact that the UE driver has to drop & hook himself and also he has to work the dock.
Thus the day of a Road Driver waiting on the clock will become a thing of the past if the change goes thru as written. This is not to say it is right.
But in the world of business it is what they would deem a necessity to raise the margin of profit. But we the employees under contract have every right to know what is and isn't being decided for us. No I don't blame ABF completely. They are doing as they always do. Business first. Talking about the ole southern saying(If you don't ask you will never know) I'm just glad they didn't ask Johnson for my first born(I kinda like her). Know we will not be happy for the way it was handled. But everyone involved had better tread lightly because we are at a point that we will not sit by and be treated like the IBT and yrc treated their TEAMSTERS! YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

Funny you say this.
If you factor in that an ABF Road Driver earns about $35.00 an hour in wages while driving compared to a UE drivers $25.00 an hour that equals a very large cost savings. Then add in the fact that the UE driver has to drop & hook himself and also he has to work the dock.
Thus the day of a Road Driver waiting on the clock will become a thing of the past if the change goes thru as written. This is not to say it is right.
But in the world of business it is what they would deem a necessity to raise the margin of profit. But we the employees under contract have every right to know what is and isn't being decided for us. No I don't blame ABF completely. They are doing as they always do. Business first. Talking about the ole southern saying(If you don't ask you will never know) I'm just glad they didn't ask Johnson for my first born(I kinda like her). Know we will not be happy for the way it was handled. But everyone involved had better tread lightly because we are at a point that we will not sit by and be treated like the IBT and yrc treated their TEAMSTERS! YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

A.B.F. will save alot of money with making more U.E. positions, no more drop&hook pay ,no more hotels fees for lay-overs ,no delay pay, it should be called the "traveling dock worker clause". You are right about business first, they are trying to compete in a very cut-throat business, customers will change carriers to save 25 bucks ! For roadmen that take the U.E. , i hope the company gives them f/l training. There is going to be alot of damage claims if they don't. Good luck to all.

Last edited by a moderator:
We ABF Teamsters will never forget!!!!

Either the Teamsters or ABF Freight System is Lying. Maybe Both.

PREMISE ABF Freight System, the nation's fifth-largest LTL carrier, is seeking wage concessions from the Teamsters union to match the 15 percent givebacks obtained by YRC Worldwide, the nation's largest LTL carrier. But the Teamsters union is publicly denying that any concession talks are taking place.
DISCUSSION What we have here, ladies and gentlemen, is a failure to communicate.
One day after an online report in the Journal of Commerce reported that ABF Freight System was "deep in talks" with the Teamsters union on concessions to match the 15 percent wage giveback and pension freeze won earlier this year by YRC Worldwide, the Teamsters union issued a strongly worded statement that the union is "not having contract or concession discussions" with ABF.
The Teamsters cited the "erroneous media report" and since has contacted ABF to "demand that they correct the record."
What, in the name of Jimmy Hoffa, is going on here?

Prediction: ABF Teamsters will approve a 10-to-15 percent wage giveback package by the end of the first quarter of 2010. Book it.

WRONG!!!!!

https://www.gplus.com/trucking/insight/either-the-teamsters-or-abf-freight-system-is-lying-maybe-both-45002

sorry, i did not separate my reply from Mulers quote. Can anyone help with that . It's #9

You still have time to edit it...change this:

[/QUOT A.B.F. will save alot of money with making more U.E. positions,

to:

[/QUOTE] A.B.F. will save alot of money with making more U.E. positions,

sorry, i did not separate my reply from Mulers quote. Can anyone help with that . It's #9

No big deal there, being ABF drivers we can figure out what you meant to post. Ya know what I mean?

I don't like the sounds of all these rumors, hope that the give back part is a rumor but with our leadership an attempt wouldn't surprise me. Then with the state of the NMFA, YRC contracts I think the IBT has a pretty big ogre to deal with here.

Funny you say this.
I looked at the COO and the road drivers affected would have transfer opportunity. Sounds reasonable, but, a change always has it challenges. When I was at Yellow in 2000 my EOL terminal was closed, and me and another guy followed the work. All was good until after 9/11 and the bottom 2 guys got laid off. I felt bad for them, but I had to do what was in the best interest of my family at the time. Then the YRCW organization formed, and I bumped a bunch of Roadway guys. Then, I got the opportunity to go over to ABF, and I'm back on the bottom. ABF is going to look for operating efficiencies, that is just a given of doing business, it's nothing personal! The fact is, the more profitable they are, and the more market share they can capture, the more people they are going to need. With YRC doing this huge COO, ABF has a strong position now to get this heard. It will probably happen, or some form of it. They will probably reach an early deal on a new contract, too, for us to vote on to try and keep any customers from being scared away by strike rumors! Hopefully, a two year deal, and we get back on cycle with YRCW if they survive and get them paying full wages and pension again!

Hey I have some mountain property in Florida are you interested. And Hey the checks in the mail. YOUR TRU$TING BROTHER ALWAY$!

They always go in with concessions, but having returned to showing a profit, I don't think the negotiating committee is going to go for any of that! However, the current pension rate and health rate will most likely be frozen, and we will see higher deductibles and co-pays on our health plan, and maybe a $1 raise over the life of the new contract. We're the highest paid in the industry, I just hope we stay there!

I looked at the COO and the road drivers affected would have transfer opportunity. Sounds reasonable, but, a change always has it challenges. When I was at Yellow in 2000 my EOL terminal was closed, and me and another guy followed the work. All was good until after 9/11 and the bottom 2 guys got laid off. I felt bad for them, but I had to do what was in the best interest of my family at the time. Then the YRCW organization formed, and I bumped a bunch of Roadway guys. Then, I got the opportunity to go over to ABF, and I'm back on the bottom. ABF is going to look for operating efficiencies, that is just a given of doing business, it's nothing personal! The fact is, the more profitable they are, and the more market share they can capture, the more people they are going to need. With YRC doing this huge COO, ABF has a strong position now to get this heard. It will probably happen, or some form of it. They will probably reach an early deal on a new contract, too, for us to vote on to try and keep any customers from being scared away by strike rumors! Hopefully, a two year deal, and we get back on cycle with YRCW if they survive and get them paying full wages and pension again!
Well Turncoat I may need to explain how we the ABF Teamsters of old look at this agreement. We were disrespected by not having working knowledge of the negotiations and what was and wasn't acceptable to US!
With us it is more of a respect thing. If you remember the yrc mess you were given no information or any say so other than YES OR NO!

You were never shown the books of a financially ruined company. You were just told to accept it. Well they tried the same thing here and we put the information out and an informed decision was made. We don't hate our company we just understand that they are a company.

As far as them and their profits we view it as we will turn them a profit and we will get our share of which we feel our families are entitled too because of the time we are away from them.
And as far as wanting to be back on a time table with yrc. You may want to remember that old saying(Be careful what you wish for)We the ABF Teamsters can not out vote them. So do you really want that?
I am not posting this as a reprimand to you just a reminder that things are a little different here. We make money the old fashion way. Both company and Teamsters do their jobs and the end result is a profit.
Now do I think ABF needs to make a larger profit? YES but it will not be at a lose lose situation for us Teamsters. Our CEO is now in line to make well over a million dollars a year and they want to cut just the Teamsters benefits and wages. Not here at ABF we won't stand for that.
And as far as what you think will be in our next contract. We have to see the books and as for the orphans that is a touchy subject with me.

I will fight to the end to protect the retired and their surviving spouses benefits. After all our higher ups have a fully funded pension plan and we just paid for an extra multimillion dollar pensions for Wes and Mr. Young on top of their normal LARGE PENSIONS!
But we the ABF Teamsters do not begrudge them of this but we expect them to leave our retirement ALONE.
And don't forget if yrc goes out then all your years there would be considered as ORPHAN years and you would fall under that entitlement package if the retirees of closed companies are moved to the PBGC. So let's just slow down and see what the facts are and go from there. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!