SAIA | RUMOR- Slip seating at meet points?

linedrver

TB Lurker
Credits
Has anyone heard about plan to stop paying for drop and hooks at meet points and start making driver's slip seat?Rumor came out of clt last night.

That would make it pointless to have assigned tractors then. There are some runs that slipseat at the meet point if the origin driver is laying down and the driver at the meet point is domiciled at the meet point. The driver makes a turn and returns to his/her domicile and the origin driver returns to his/her home terminal.

the way Randy C tries to cheat drivers out of there time he probably started it so he could steal some more money from drivers.

It's an old trick to get out of paying drop & hook time. They'll say you can keep your assigned tractor ONLY if you drop & hook on your own time, knowing you will do it just to keep your tractor. Some terminals in the past had you pre-hooked to a different tractor/trailer when doing a via. That way when you punch in, they can say you're ready to go immediately. You transfer your gear to a different unit on your own time AND lose the tractor you came in with. No clock time what-so-ever.

That would make it pointless to have assigned tractors then. There are some runs that slipseat at the meet point if the origin driver is laying down and the driver at the meet point is domiciled at the meet point. The driver makes a turn and returns to his/her domicile and the origin driver returns to his/her home terminal.
That's the point, to make it pointless.................where ever possible. Eliminate the drop & hook time paid multiplied times the hundreds each night. Do the math. Top brass don't care about making drivers happy with "assigned tractors". The bottom line is "the bottom line".

That's the point, to make it pointless.................where ever possible. Eliminate the drop & hook time paid multiplied times the hundreds each night. Do the math. Top brass don't care about making drivers happy with "assigned tractors". The bottom line is "the bottom line".

I really don't know how that would save time or money. You still have to do a pre-trip. I wouldn't slip seat with another driver without checking the equipment out.... Still should take at least 15 minutes.

I really don't know how that would save time or money. You still have to do a pre-trip. I wouldn't slip seat with another driver without checking the equipment out.... Still should take at least 15 minutes.

you don't get paid for pretrip, so it would save the D&H pay

By the time you pack up all your stiff, and then transfer and re-setup everything, it's going to take up more time. Another issue would be the pre trip inspection, if the meet driver’s tractor does not meet your expectations, what do you do then?

Some of us were talking about that last night. We decided that we would just go through if we had safty issues. Then if they won't pay the drop, they can pay the motel.

By the time you pack up all your stiff, and then transfer and re-setup everything, it's going to take up more time. Another issue would be the pre trip inspection, if the meet driver’s tractor does not meet your expectations, what do you do then?
That's what I'm sayin'. That's when push comes to shove, everybody will be glad to just do the D&H for free. Company wins !!

Some of us were talking about that last night. We decided that we would just go through if we had safty issues. Then if they won't pay the drop, they can pay the motel.
Lotsa luck getting the motel bill paid for AND in finding another job. You MIGHT even wind up paying your own bus fare back to you home domicile !!!! Company wins again !! Ain't fair, is it ??

That's kind of jump from not driving safe equipment to not paying for a motel or losing my job. Never had a problem with them not paying my motel bill.

I think I would rather hit 1 pin and keep the same tractor, I don't want one that some guy smoked 3 packs of ciggs in on the way to the meet. What about needing to keep twin screws where they need them?

the twins we have been getting assinged in GVL lately are not worth keeping if we needed them. I'd rather spend the 10 minutes in the Georgia scales than to swap tractors.

Like everyone else, I would hate to lose the meet money. I would not be suprised if the company did it because Saia is looking to cut costs and that would seem to be an easy picking for them. I agree with tired and hungry. I would rather keep the tractor that I know rather than my meet man's tractor and I'm sure he feels the same way. Having said that, I gave up my Sirius radio months ago and listen to CD's that I make at home. I carry a small bag, a lunch kit, and can collect and ready for transfer everything before my meet man can wake up and leave his truck. I find that traveling light makes a lot of worrying go away.

on the west coast we dont get paid at meets till after 45 min,thats one of the reasons this class action suit is going on...and it probable will end up in court,give up first 15,take lunch,and if your meet shows up at the 45 min mark-still not being paid because your swapping out ,per line haul....bull s*$%

you get paid a drop and hook at your meet and then hourly 30 minutes after your cut , if applicable, i would rather have a good meet man and drop, hook and go! believe me, i have 2 meets a day!

the good meet man is key.i feel a truly good meet man is so few and far between ive resigned to bidding on terminal runs instead of meets.