ABF | Running Times

12pack

TB Lurker
Credits
Happy Or Unhappy with Run Times?
I just wanted to get some opinions and there's never a shortage of those.
It seams like it makes some sense for a large barn that doesn't get exhausted every day but for a small barn that gets exhausted many times in one day and you turn on your rest every time even if i put in a preference who cares how fast or slow someone runs?

For bid drivers you cant leave till your cut time so the faster you get done the more time you get to spend with your family.

I've never heard run times mentioned at 051/WNS. I guess I've always made them if I have never had them point out my being late.

I have worked the inbound at 058, and when I trace loads coming from 051 the computer almost always shows 1 to 1 1/2 hrs more than it takes him to get here... I guess they allow lots of extra time, probably for traffic, weather, etc.

you guys are in southern conference you are lucky.
I will explain running times. Every run is to be run at 49 MPH on the log plus your 1 hour break on top of that. That gives you 2.5 hours to set at a truck stop on every run. It slows down the board so everyone gets out and slows it down to the point that the company has to hire more road drivers to haul the freight. I see it as a total waste of time waste of MY time wast of time the city drivers could have the freight earlier and have it delivered. The old times yell and scream about the running times that they fought hard for them. I am sure that they did i just cant understand why. I want to make the run take a break if i want one then get out of the truck and go home. I want to spend my time off at the house with my family. Old timers use running times to burn up there clock so they don't have to do 6 trips a week also i can understand that. But why yell at me because you are old and don't want to do your trips. Some one from Central conference will get on here and yell at me but since it is contract time i thought this would be a good time to bring it up.

I just about share the same opinion with ya 12 pack. I don't see much of a need to change the run times, because there has been instances in the winter where you use just about all that time to make it across. Chaining up, waiting for them to clear accidents, etc. For the most part, I'm like you. I want to get the run done and spend the time with my family as much as possible. Occasionally stop for a cup of coffee. I sure have taken some heat for it though at times, mainly by some of the older hands. I don't really care how they do their runs, but it does bother me when they try to brow beat me into doing things exactly the way they do. To each, his own. I'm just glad that we are allowed the leeway to get the load there safely when we need to and we aren't being pressured by an "on time" bonus. I have worked for a company that had an incentive program like that and it didn't seem very condusive to safety at all.

:1036316054: :nono: leave it the way it is...when dispoatch calls you 8+ hours after yor rest, one can take a nap! if the company shortens the run times ...we'll all be held to it.

I just about share the same opinion with ya 12 pack. I don't see much of a need to change the run times, because there has been instances in the winter where you use just about all that time to make it across. Chaining up, waiting for them to clear accidents, etc. For the most part, I'm like you. I want to get the run done and spend the time with my family as much as possible. Occasionally stop for a cup of coffee. I sure have taken some heat for it though at times, mainly by some of the older hands. I don't really care how they do their runs, but it does bother me when they try to brow beat me into doing things exactly the way they do. To each, his own. I'm just glad that we are allowed the leeway to get the load there safely when we need to and we aren't being pressured by an "on time" bonus. I have worked for a company that had an incentive program like that and it didn't seem very condusive to safety at all.

Like you said, it was mostly the old timers that frowned upon the younger guys running hot and getting the job done too soon. I much prefer to get up there, come back on my rest and get back home so I can spend the time with my family, not in some truck stop listening to everyone trying to top the other truck driver stories. I heard it all before. As you said, to each his own.......
enjoy your homelife.

What do you mean if? The geniuses at central already think these heaps can average 60mph. The run times have already been cut. Wait until the 10 hr rule kicks back in.

What do you mean if? The geniuses at central already think these heaps can average 60mph. The run times have already been cut. Wait until the 10 hr rule kicks back in.

I know southern conference doesn't have "Running Times" and i guess most of you have never herd of it. In Central conference all our runs are set at 49 MPH not at 60. My bid run is 348 miles "run time" is 7 hours plus 1 hour break. that is eight hours to run 348! It only takes 6 hours to make the run that means siting at a truck stop for 2 hours no thanks. I don't see how this helps me keeping me away from the house at a truck stop for 2 hours. Just want to do my run and go home. Plus adding 2 hours too my night i make less money per hour spent on the road!
I just wanted to see what a few of you thought some of you know what i am talking about. The whole 49mph thing seams a little wrong headed to me.
The truck is slow enough without knocking me down to 49mph.
:soapbox:

Well fellas I agree with both sides, however we have been getting a rash of warning letters for delay of freight in chicago, and for not really taking any longer than we used to take some years ago when the company really wanted to get the freight destined safely. Now I'm really confused. The last time I checked, we are in the central conference. I guess the warning letters is probably a chicago problem more than anything else.

That is the first i have herd of this. This must be why the running time protection is there. I know FedEx and UPS do stuff like that but i had not herd of it over here. Thanks for the heads up.

That is the first i have herd of this. This must be why the running time protection is there. I know FedEx and UPS do stuff like that but i had not herd of it over here. Thanks for the heads up.

Next time you are in Chicago, find me.:smilie_132:

You know what? That freight wont get there one second before I do. Thats a guarantee. Send the delay of freight letter. I need the paper for the cat box.