Central Transport | Sabotage or Incompetence?

12barjunkie

TB Lurker
Credits
I've been "conditionally" hired by another company for over a month now (pending background checks). The "normal" time it takes to be processed is three weeks (so I'm told). I got an email today from my prospective employer telling me that Vitran Express has finally responded to a request for a release of previous drug and alcohol testing. The email said that they refused the initial request because it was an "improper" form. The original form that was sent was an electronic (copy) version of a hand signed document. They waited THREE WEEKS to respond!!!

The company that is doing the background checks sent me another copy of the form to sign and e-mail it back to them so they can "resubmit" it. I personally think Vitran is just screwing me around here; what do you think?

I've been "conditionally" hired by another company for over a month now (pending background checks). The "normal" time it takes to be processed is three weeks (so I'm told). I got an email today from my prospective employer telling me that Vitran Express has finally responded to a request for a release of previous drug and alcohol testing. The email said that they refused the initial request because it was an "improper" form. The original form that was sent was an electronic (copy) version of a hand signed document. They waited THREE WEEKS to respond!!!

The company that is doing the background checks sent me another copy of the form to sign and e-mail it back to them so they can "resubmit" it. I personally think Vitran is just screwing me around here; what do you think?

The same company you are talking about, (I think) was told by Vitran that they have no record of me ever being employed by Vitran. My background check was 4 weeks old as of Tuesday, and counting.

Sounds like incompetence to me.
I doubt Vitran uses very much resources for employment verification. I know the HR big wig is former FedEx, and FedEx was VERY slow at responding too...ya just have to bombard them with the papers every other day. I think they have to allow them so much time to respond but, it can get ridiculous

Sounds like incompetence to me.
I doubt Vitran uses very much resources for employment verification. I know the HR big wig is former FedEx, and FedEx was VERY slow at responding too...ya just have to bombard them with the papers every other day. I think they have to allow them so much time to respond but, it can get ridiculous

So you are saying Vijack's is Hotel California . . . you can check out any time you like but you can never leave :438:

Incompetence without a doubt. Let this be a warning to others that if you plan to quit wait until everything is done and you get the job before you give your notice.

Dah, Vitran does not respond to numerous requests for " personnel files" from former employees even though the request comes from a high profile lawyer. Vitran sticks their middle finger in the air regarding law and decency, multiple lawsuits pending.

It's been killin' me just to show up for work the last 3 weeks; I just want to tell Vitran to go f**k itself!!!
Ask the new job if you can just provide W-2's for employment verification...and there's a form you can sign saying you do/did work there. It's the same thing they have you sign if a former employer has gone out of business, and isn't available to confirm.
You should also always keep that copy of the drug test "control form" whenever you take one...they can go by that for the drug test

I did all my interviews for ups freight in mid october, and i didnt get hired till the week after thanksgiving, it took 3 emails, 3 faxes, all to fail with no sucess. So yeah i took me a while till vitran complied, i think it was bcuz they were short handed

Investigation and inquiries. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

(3) Prospective employers should report failures of previous employers to respond to an investigation to the FMCSA following procedures specified at §386.12 of this chapter and keep a copy of such reports in the Driver Investigation file as part of documenting a good faith effort to obtain the required information.
(d) The prospective motor carrier must investigate, at a minimum, the information listed in this paragraph from all previous employers of the applicant that employed the driver to operate a CMV within the previous three years. The investigation request must contain specific contact information on where the previous motor carrier employers should send the information requested.
(1) General driver identification and employment verification information.
(2) The data elements as specified in §390.15(b)(1) of this chapter for accidents involving the driver that occurred in the three-year period preceding the date of the employment application.
(i) Any accidents as defined by §390.5 of this chapter.
(ii) Any accidents the previous employer may wish to provide that are retained pursuant to §390.15(b)(2), or pursuant to the employer's internal policies for retaining more detailed minor accident information.
(e) In addition to the investigations required by paragraph (d) of this section, the prospective motor carrier employers must investigate the information listed below in this paragraph from all previous DOT regulated employers that employed the driver within the previous three years from the date of the employment application, in a safety-sensitive function that required alcohol and controlled substance testing specified by 49 CFR part 40.
(1) Whether, within the previous three years, the driver had violated the alcohol and controlled substances prohibitions under subpart B of part 382 of this chapter, or 49 CFR part 40.
(2) Whether the driver failed to undertake or complete a rehabilitation program prescribed by a substance abuse professional (SAP) pursuant to §382.605 of this chapter, or 49 CFR part 40, subpart O. If the previous employer does not know this information (e.g., an employer that terminated an employee who tested positive on a drug test), the prospective motor carrier must obtain documentation of the driver's successful completion of the SAP's referral directly from the driver.
(3) For a driver who had successfully completed a SAP's rehabilitation referral, and remained in the employ of the referring employer, information on whether the driver had the following testing violations subsequent to completion of a § 382.605 or 49 CFR part 40, subpart O referral:

(f) A prospective motor carrier employer must provide to the previous employer the driver's written consent meeting the requirements of § 40.321(b) for the release of the information in paragraph (e) of this section. If the driver refuses to provide this written consent, the prospective motor carrier employer must not permit the driver to operate a commercial motor vehicle for that motor carrier.
(g) After October 29, 2004, previous employers must:
(1) Respond to each request for the DOT defined information in paragraphs (d) and (e) of this section within 30 days after the request is received. If there is no safety performance history information to report for that driver, previous motor carrier employers are nonetheless required to send a response confirming the non-existence of any such data, including the driver identification information and dates of employment.
(2) Take all precautions reasonably necessary to ensure the accuracy of the records.
(3) Provide specific contact information in case a driver chooses to contact the previous employer regarding correction or rebuttal of the data.
(4) Keep a record of each request and the response for one year, including the date, the party to whom it was released, and a summary identifying what was provided.
(5) Exception. Until May 1, 2006, carriers need only provide information for accidents that occurred after April 29, 2003.

Oh they responded alright (barely within 30 days) and their response was: Nah, we don't like that form, send us another one. So you're telling me they now have 30 days to respond to the next form that is sent to them? How many times can they do this and how long can they keep this up?

Vitran doesn't have to respond to employment verification requests....no employer does. That being said, most do reply sooner than later. I also doubt very much that the head of HR is the person that handle employee verifications.....she is too busy trying to track down the people that are leaking company secrets on this site.

Oh they responded alright (barely within 30 days) and their response was: Nah, we don't like that form, send us another one. So you're telling me they now have 30 days to respond to the next form that is sent to them? How many times can they do this and how long can they keep this up?

What kind of form is not acceptable? Your name, phone, and DL numbers is all they need along with your signature. Are they using the standard JJ Keller type form? Try calling your local FMCSA Field Office and explain to them what is going on, calmly of course, and ask if an agent can make a quick call to HR on your behalf. I think asking your new employer to file the complaint is bad manners. Here is your local office locations:

Field Office Phone List - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Send an email to your Vitran HR person calmly reminding them that the 30 day limit has passed, and if the form they got did not meet their criteria, that is not your problem. The 30 day rules offers no exceptions to the rules, if they wanted something else, there was ample time in 30 days to make such a request. Vitran is already not in the best of light with the FMCSA, so do they want their name sent in on a complaint of which will most certainly cause their supervisor to be contacted?

Last edited by a moderator:
Vitran doesn't have to respond to employment verification requests....no employer does. That being said, most do reply sooner than later. I also doubt very much that the head of HR is the person that handle employee verifications.....she is too busy trying to track down the people that are leaking company secrets on this site.

FMCSA rules say they do, they do not have to acknowledge your start date, pay scale, ect, but because you are a Commercial Driver, yes it is a Federal Violation to NOT respond with your record.

Thanks, N.W. we knew you would be around to help us out.

what goes on does not make a difference in my life (anymore) but i still do care. at my old place people are leaving faster than ever, and those who do not find a job now may find their market flooded IF vitran closes it, that would be the big shame in all of this

As i said before.....they DONT have to provide employment verification...thats different then supplying your driving record. Also, they can refer driving records request to the DOT if they want to play hardball. As long as the proper paperwork is filled out and submitted to the DOT, no Federal law has been broke.