ODFL | Sacrifice our annual raise this year for..

BillyLo

Service 2.0 OD Strong All Time Mastio Champion
Credits
I have an idea for the official carrier of baseball that doesn't pay their employees OT. How about no wage increase this year, but instead give everyone hourly OT after 40?

Com'on Congdons, it's 2017 and the company just looks cheap playing these games to get around it.

I have an idea for the official carrier of baseball that doesn't pay their employees OT. How about no wage increase this year, but instead give everyone hourly OT after 40?

Com'on Congdons, it's 2017 and the company just looks cheap playing these games to get around it.
I would rather have the wage increase. My last company I received OT, there's a difference in the taxes. In my opinion the government gets enough. Besides we all know what we are getting when we hire on. We have the choice of going elsewhere if we don't agree with the pay structure. Secondly in line there is no overtime. So a wage increase I would look forward to. Just saying.

I would rather have the wage increase. My last company I received OT, there's a difference in the taxes. In my opinion the government gets enough. Besides we all know what we are getting when we hire on. We have the choice of going elsewhere if we don't agree with the pay structure. Secondly in line there is no overtime. So a wage increase I would look forward to. Just saying.

Of course you would look forward to a wage increase, you don't get paid by the hour anyway!

I'm just saying it's time. I'm certain OD would be embarrassed if the baseball loving public knew this info.

I'm just saying it's time. I'm certain OD would be embarrassed if the baseball loving public knew this info.
I bet most people only care about things that they have to deal with themselves. I consider my overtime comp is the profit sharing put into 401K every year. It is just the way I look at it. It may not be exactly the same but I am not spending it.

I bet most people only care about things that they have to deal with themselves. I consider my overtime comp is the profit sharing put into 401K every year. It is just the way I look at it. It may not be exactly the same but I am not spending it.

It's a good thought but you might want to check your math... overtime for an average of 50 hrs/wk is an extra $6994/yr. I've never gotten that much in a profit share...

Wasn't the lack of OT one of the reasons you went back to running line a years ago?
Most of the companies that pay OT make less per hour so it all works out to be about the same pay anyway except for ups they are in a league of there own. Then when you do start getting into time and a half they try there best to send you home so you want get any.

Wrong. In today's trucking world there's so many requirements especially with the physical that it's hard to hire and retain drivers. OD is forced to pay us ot in WA and they can't cut us at 40 because we never have enough people. Been here for years, never worked less than 45 hours a week unless I took a day off.

Wasn't the lack of OT one of the reasons you went back to running line a years ago?

Wrong. In today's trucking world there's so many requirements especially with the physical that it's hard to hire and retain drivers. OD is forced to pay us ot in WA and they can't cut us at 40 because we never have enough people. Been here for years, never worked less than 45 hours a week unless I took a day off.

Worked at NGA and never got less than 54-58. I've got a friend up there that still gets at least 45 when it's slow. There's no way they could hire enough to eliminate potential overtime. For starters, they can't get enough equipment for the drivers they have.

At least with the raise we get it on every hour that we work. Make no mistake if the company has to pay overtime, hours will be managed closer to 40 than they are today. At least we can make xtra hours if we want them now. My 2 cents worth.

At least with the raise we get it on every hour that we work. Make no mistake if the company has to pay overtime, hours will be managed closer to 40 than they are today. At least we can make xtra hours if we want them now. My 2 cents worth.

Like I said coming from a terminal that's forced to pay overtime that hours will not be managed. They can try all they want, but each time they fall short on drivers. We could pay 40 an hour tomorrow with OT after 40 and will still have lots of openings at the big terminals and freight held over on the dock to deliver the next day.

Their business model is like every other LTL, it's designed for everyone to work 50 hrs a week. Think of how many more employees they would have to hire to reduce everyone to 40. That's a lot of healthcare costs and additional equipment purchases. There's a point where it makes more sense to pay the overtime.

It's a good thought but you might want to check your math... overtime for an average of 50 hrs/wk is an extra $6994/yr. I've never gotten that much in a profit share...
You are right with the math but then with overtime I am sure with the way the managers like their big bonus checks we would only be working 40 hrs a week or only a 4 day week

See my above post as to the hours worked, our workforce would have to grow a considerable bit to keep everyone down at 40. They don't have the people or the equipment to do that.

See my above post as to the hours worked, our workforce would have to grow a considerable bit to keep everyone down at 40. They don't have the people or the equipment to do that.

Song is very right, we are forced OT after 40 in WA state and can't keep anyone no matter how much we pay. We'll never be able to build up a large enough workforce to keep everyone at 40 hours.

Its funny, when I was there Billy, you Local guys worked your daily schedule but always had time to take line work on Saturday even when line guys were available..has that changed? if your getting the hours and OT then why run on the weekends? seems to me that with the OT, running that line run sat would just not be worth it due to the amount of taxes uncle takes...

Its funny, when I was there Billy, you Local guys worked your daily schedule but always had time to take line work on Saturday even when line guys were available..has that changed? if your getting the hours and OT then why run on the weekends? seems to me that with the OT, running that line run sat would just not be worth it due to the amount of taxes uncle takes...

I get called because we're so backed up on Sundays. Some people are not satisfied until their 70 is maxed. You didn't work there long enough to notice, but most of those new guys worked poverty wage jobs all their life, first thing they do after graduating CDS is buy a fancy 50k dollar vehicle and a 300k house out beyond Olympia. Poof 70-80k wage already spent.

But you don't work here anymore and you get OT at 40 or 8 with your grocery job. Don't worry about us with those snide remarks for trying to be on the same playing field as you boys.

He likes coming to PDX to get make a set from 2 sets. Line Driver's take care of him