ODFL | Sacrifice our annual raise this year for..

Its no different here..come to our parking lot and all you see are new 70k pickups, new BMW, Lexus etc. They forget what its like during the slow months here (first 5 months) and then all the ssenior guys eat up the OT so others starve. It s no different where I am at for now,big money equil's big toys. The only difference between these guys and myself is I know a good thing when I see it and dont need to suffer... see ya soon

Its no different here..come to our parking lot and all you see are new 70k pickups, new BMW, Lexus etc. They forget what its like during the slow months here (first 5 months) and then all the ssenior guys eat up the OT so others starve. It s no different where I am at for now,big money equil's big toys. The only difference between these guys and myself is I know a good thing when I see it and dont need to suffer... see ya soon

You should see the new cds grad that just went to line with an 18' F350 King Ranch Dually. No way would I go out and buy a truck worth more than my tractor.

I take all of my big money and stockpile.

Wasn't the lack of OT one of the reasons you went back to running line a years ago?

Wrong. In today's trucking world there's so many requirements especially with the physical that it's hard to hire and retain drivers. OD is forced to pay us ot in WA and they can't cut us at 40 because we never have enough people. Been here for years, never worked less than 45 hours a week unless I took a day off.
Must be a different guy I have never ran linehaul.

Saia is expanding into the northeast. They are offering experienced drivers 29.50 with overtime after 45. I'll just say that some guys are getting fired up about the issue now. If OD is not going to pay time and half they should try to find some way to be competitive.
They're offering drivers $15,000 sign on bonus in Colorado for experienced drivers and no one wants it. I don't think OD is worried about being "competitive" with Saia. We're the Papa John's of the ltl's. Better drivers, better service.. OD!!!

Saia is expanding into the northeast. They are offering experienced drivers 29.50 with overtime after 45. I'll just say that some guys are getting fired up about the issue now. If OD is not going to pay time and half they should try to find some way to be competitive.
Have you seen this to be a fact? Why would they pay those kinds of wages. That is $1.50 more than us plus the OT deal. The fact is they can't have much business at this point having just opened.....

Have you seen this to be a fact? Why would they pay those kinds of wages. That is $1.50 more than us plus the OT deal. The fact is they can't have much business at this point having just opened.....
They are specifically looking for experienced p and d drivers when they open their new terminals. Basically they are trying to steal good drivers from their competitors.

Quote from ltltrkr on the Saia board...
"In the N.E. ABF, YRC, New Penn , XPO & Fedex Frght are after 8. NEMF is either after 40 or 8 not sure( machinist union). ODFL after 60, R&L straight pay, Estes after 45 or 50 depending on state, Pitt Ohio - straight pay for 3 years then OT after 40, Duie after 45, Teals straight pay, What's left of Land Air of NE- after 50 and RIST is either 40 or 45. Central Transport is after 50 or all straight pay- not sure" This is completely accurate and why drivers are starting to talk about it. Some of these companies are very close in hourly rate and getting overtime pay.

Last edited:
They're offering drivers $15,000 sign on bonus in Colorado for experienced drivers and no one wants it. I don't think OD is worried about being "competitive" with Saia. We're the Papa John's of the ltl's. Better drivers, better service.. OD!!!
You guys delivering pizzas now too????

You guys delivering pizzas now too????

our drivers ain't much better than pizza delivery drivers,, we're just straight up desperate for help these days to require our drivers to be better than other companies.

our drivers ain't much better than pizza delivery drivers,, we're just straight up desperate for help these days to require our drivers to be better than other companies.
So you're the pizza delivery coordinator??

Forget the raises. Better health care would be great. Speaking of SAIA, they offer free health care for entire family after 10 years service. Thatd be nice. We have drivers that have left for SAIA. The overtime and health care being big reasons.

Forget the raises. Better health care would be great. Speaking of SAIA, they offer free health care for entire family after 10 years service. Thatd be nice. We have drivers that have left for SAIA. The overtime and health care being big reasons.
So you have to ask yourself, why can't they keep drivers? The grass doesn't get much greener then OD's.

Like billy said, it's ludicrous our city guys don't get overtime after 40. And yes, that was one of he reasons I went back to the road. I was spending the same amount of time at work for a lot less money when I was in the city.

I know in the southeast saia makes about 2.50 less per hour than OD. So even if they do get OT after 45 it's still less money.

I know in the southeast saia makes about 2.50 less per hour than OD. So even if they do get OT after 45 it's still less money.
Not the case in the north. It's about a dollar difference, if that, once SAIA gets their pay raise shortly. Currently they pay the same for l/h (a little more since OD northern is .6378 and SAIA is flat .64). For city, it's not a whole lot more of a pay difference if you compare a 50 hour work week (as an example) between the two companies, but SAIA is paying more when considering the OT after 45, certainly not less. And if you work more than a 50 hour week when comparing the two companies, the pay difference increases exponentially. If a driver has more than 10 years left in their career, the health care is worth its weight in gold.

P&D drivers have no seniority to lose when joining SAIA, but more to gain since at SAIA you can flop between city and l/h during bids because they share the same board.