Sad Day For Oak Harbor Ptld

v for vendetta

TB Lurker
Credits
Portland Teamsters were forced to listen to
to Ed VP lament the costs of our pension and
healthcare programs today. He alluded that in order to get new young drivers interested to work at Oak Harbor Freight Lines
it would be necessary to offer his new
benefit package. How unfortunate for all the workers that built OHFL. Those working and those retired , whose access to good medical benefits will be cut off. The plan may also cause any employee with five or more years in the Teamster Pension to leave for other jobs thus negating the new workers theory. I'm confused!
Also with all of these savings they hope to open new facilities in Calif. Very Christian!

Listen. You need to try and keep your head up, regardless of how hopeless the situation may seem!
Your gonna have to take a more active roll and start talking to your friends, and even co-workers you might not see eye to eye with and get on the same page. That page being your all gonna have to come together and vote down whatever crap they give you till they give you something worth working for. I realize it's easy for everyone to say STRIKE, but everyone forgets that when it comes time to pick up that picket sign. Yall are just going to have to send a message to these fine Christian people that have a bad habit of screwing you before you do to them!!
NO GOBBLERS!!!

We,the Teamster employees of OHFL are not going to entertain this "choices" package the company is puking out.We choose to be Union and will remain Union at all costs...period.All the company is doing is putting their feelers out to see where the employees are at.Personally,I think their gonna hurt themselves on this deal,Non-union terminals are already asking about card check neutrality.

The VP family does not understand that health care and pensions are part of doing business. If they think people are going to stand by and just let these things hapen, they are mistaken. They claim that they need more flexibility. I'm sorry but they already have more than most union carriers do already. Now they want more. That cannot happen or the Oak Harbor employees might as well decert because the only thing they will have left is a grievance panel. At some point the members must take a stand. The question is, how long do you continue to allow this type of behavior from your employer before you take that stand? IMO it should be done sooner rather than later so you don't give up everything before you have the fight. If you wait to long, your in the situation the Oak Harbor folks are now in. I think this stand should have been taken quite some time ago but hey that is just my opinion.

The VP family does not understand that health care and pensions are part of doing business. If they think people are going to stand by and just let these things hapen, they are mistaken. They claim that they need more flexibility. I'm sorry but they already have more than most union carriers do already. Now they want more. That cannot happen or the Oak Harbor employees might as well decert because the only thing they will have left is a grievance panel. At some point the members must take a stand. The question is, how long do you continue to allow this type of behavior from your employer before you take that stand? IMO it should be done sooner rather than later so you don't give up everything before you have the fight. If you wait to long, your in the situation the Oak Harbor folks are now in. I think this stand should have been taken quite some time ago but hey that is just my opinion.

You are wrong...you are wrong! You are just wrong!!!!! :chairshot:

Listen. You need to try and keep your head up, regardless of how hopeless the situation may seem!
Your gonna have to take a more active roll and start talking to your friends, and even co-workers you might not see eye to eye with and get on the same page. That page being your all gonna have to come together and vote down whatever crap they give you till they give you something worth working for. I realize it's easy for everyone to say STRIKE, but everyone forgets that when it comes time to pick up that picket sign. Yall are just going to have to send a message to these fine Christian people that have a bad habit of screwing you before you do to them!!
NO GOBBLERS!!!

Ed Vander Pol is a good man and a good Christian regardless of the muck you throw at him or how bad you paint him to be. He is not screwing anyone over.!!!

Portland Teamsters were forced to listen to
to Ed VP lament the costs of our pension and
healthcare programs today. He alluded that in order to get new young drivers interested to work at Oak Harbor Freight Lines
it would be necessary to offer his new
benefit package. How unfortunate for all the workers that built OHFL. Those working and those retired , whose access to good medical benefits will be cut off. The plan may also cause any employee with five or more years in the Teamster Pension to leave for other jobs thus negating the new workers theory. I'm confused!
Also with all of these savings they hope to open new facilities in Calif. Very Christian!

It is not a sad day for Portland. His statements were not lament. He is a good man and a good christian. And he cares.

Do yourself a favor and just pretend Truckinjoe does not exist. He's got nothing but assumptions and Hearsay, and he will never explain why he feels the way he does, freightpunk calls him a "Dolt", I think that is a very accurate description.

Time to strike these bastards:cuss:, enough is enough they have walked up and down you all :Bondage: for far too long. I say take it all back, or shut them down, now is the time. There is nothing good that can come out of all this! They are blatantly ignoring the sediment of their employees:tongue0002: , no one wants this new plan because they know that by design it's sole intention is to cause decertification. They don't care about their long term employees who have put in many years of faithful service, they don't care that Teamsters employees are the ones who built this company. They want them all to head down the road when the pension is gone, so they won't be there educating the newer employees the benefits of being a part of a union.

If you wish to maintain you full MOB you need to strike. If you wish to stay a Teamster in the long-term you need to strike. At the end of the day the future will hold nothing but take backs if you don't make a stand now. I would recommend a slow down, up until the contract expires. Fortunately you are union employees, so you are not without options.:gathering:

Truckingjoe is obviously management:butt kiss: The funny thing is that they think their dividing the barns but the solidarity is stronger then ever! Truckingjoe,you are management plain and simple.If you want their choice package then you take it and let us know in 10yrs how your medical plan is doing along with your uninsured 401kplan.
In the meeting yesterday Ed VP said quote"
Don't just get your information from linedrivers"? what the F#$% does that mean?Our linedrivers are some of the most educated and outspoken employees this company has.They are the first ones to stand up and say F-you.Bottom line is the company hates that the employees communicate with each other beyond their own terminals.I want to thank all the employees both union and non-union for getting involved with this dyer situation.

Ps.thanx Silvertooth for the kind words,Truckingjoe is a DOLT!!!

There won't be any direct meeting with the PDX linedrivers rather their going to make the Terminal manager and line dispatcher available(Both who have been employed here less than 6 months)available to the drivers for any questions.Hmmm! I think the company is afraid of something.Can you say getting called out on the carpet.

It is not a sad day for Portland. His statements were not lament. He is a good man and a good christian. And he cares.

While what you state may be true he is also a businessman that has shown he does not care about his employees. His actions say that, not his words. It is not about who has gotten him where he is, it is that he is there. His ego his huge!!!! If he wants to play big businessman then he deserves everything that comes his way. The drivers will find jobs when and if this goes south but who then will he have to push around? That is correct, his kids and he will end up leaving them without the business that was handed to him.

Ed Vander Pol is a good man and a good Christian regardless of the muck you throw at him or how bad you paint him to be. He is not screwing anyone over.!!!

He sounds like a Jim and Tammy Fae Baker kind of Christian. What kind of cuts or incentives is he willing to give up? or maybe a jim jones kind of Cult.- Don't drink the kool-aid they are trying to pour for you.

Hey truckenho', just what do you haul besides a trailer load of company BS?! :butt kiss: Honestly, are you so blinded you can't see that these fine, Christian people, are defecating all over honest, hard working people? I'm gonna pass on getting all Biblical on you, not worth wasting my time on someone that isn't going to listen, no matter how much evidence is shown.
It's a simple matter, this supposed "upstanding" family business has decided to go ahead and walk all over their employees. These same employees that built up this trucking company. How screwed up is that?! All Oak Harbor Employees, stand up for yourself, your families, and a better way of life!! Don't bow down to the WORLDLY desires of this CHRISTIAN family.

You are all of course entitled to how you feel, what you think etc. You do what you feel you must do for the sake of your own ignorance’s and your messed up way of thinking and your own huge egos.

OAKH will be around for many years to come regardless of what you are doing. So give it your best shot.

The Vander Pol families are decent and good people no matter what you say. Calling me names doesn’t change anything. Except to show how petty you are.

I am glad to hear the solidarity is strong at both barns, I hope the Unions involved have the moxie to do what needs to be done. This is a carefully orchestrated defense, that has been outlined by well paid, highly skilled labor consultants the soul purpose of which is to deny you all the simplest things in life. They have tasted the non-union fruit in California and other outlying terminals and they love it! The idea of taking care of the people who take care of you is dead, I honestly thought they would wait until the old man died before they would attack their employees so fervently.

I say break the contract now on the grounds that they are negotiating directly with employees that have elected to have union representation. The BA should be at these meetings as well to call them on the BS in front of all the employees. If you were to walk now, that would be beneficial because it would not give them time to arrange replacements to fill your shoes, thats what happened in the Western Beverage Strike in Eugene earlier this year, its your job, and they are willing to play dirty, then why give them the advantage of being able to line up in advance?

Why should the most professional employees in all of LTL be treated this way? Imagine how much money they must save by all the safe miles driven, the low turnover rate,, the givebacks compared to the Master contract!? They don't care, they want more and more. IF we are bleeding you dry SHOW US THE BOOKS you greedy motha@#ers!!! Until then,

see ya on the lines!

The company has been very careful when it comes to unfair labor charges. They are right on the line by telling everyone that "this is for our non-union employees". That gets the company off the hook but we all know that what they are saying is also directly pointed at their union employees.

Unofficial slow-down, kinda the same thing. Plus all you need is one employee to say they said something to them in private, it doesn't have to happen at a meeting, any takers?

Unofficial slow-down, kinda the same thing. Plus all you need is one employee to say they said something to them in private, it doesn't have to happen at a meeting, any takers?

You are trying to encourage someone to be totally dishonest and lie. That is just morally wrong. And they are aware of what you are trying to do, to accomplish. It won't work Silvertooth.

Dishonest, like lying to you employees telling them that this new system will offer anywhere near the security and quality of care and retirement they are receiving now? When it comes to someones livelihood, and the heath of their family, rules and laws become secondary to pure emotion. I have no problem breaking a law, or being dishonest, if it were incremental in saving the heath care and retirements of hundreds of my Teamster brothers, I would do it gladly.

If the employees would run the numbers there would be no discussion on this. I think many have and those are the ones that see the real picture. Multiply the $.15 they are trying to give the guys for their sick leave times 2080 and you get $312 per year. Multiply the 48 hours they currently get by the current top scale you get $970.08. The difference is about $658.00 per year. If you do the pension numbers and max them out you will see the same types of results. The employee pays for half and the annual total is far less than what they currently put into retirement. Also lets not forget that the Western Pension fund is probably going to increase the multiplier come January 1 of 2008,so they employees will be getting added benefit without costing the employer a dime, but no that is not good enough for this employer.

This is not about helping the employees it is about putting more money into the pockets of the employer. If the owners of this company were willing to take care of the people that work for them they could have at least made it comparable but they haven't. Their employees have figured this scheme out and the company will now have to go back and figure out something else because their employees are not buying into it.