FedEx Freight | Safe Workplace/Safe Driving Programs

SwampRatt

TB Legend
Credits
Let's start with the Safe/injury free workplace part. We can address the Safe Driving part next.

Curious about your thoughts on the Injury free workplace program. You know, the cookouts and good will associated with achieving the goal of a Center remaining injury free for a certain amount of time. 90 days was the initial goal for my center. I think that was the same for all. After the 90 day goal, it increases to 180 days, and so on.

My location has struggled, recently. We did real good for the 90 day goal. We also almost made the 180 days on one occasion.

I've got some thoughts on the program and it's effectiveness (or lack thereof), but I would like to hear other's thoughts. How well are other locations are doing? Size of Center would be helpful too.

Last edited:
Being at a relay yard it's not to hard to reach the goals, but instead of the cookouts I would rather see the money go into the bonus checks, of course at the larger centers I could see where that might be a problem.

At our Hub we can't even reach the 90 day goal, it seems like every two weeks the red flag goes up out front!! To our defense though, we have a large contingent of employees from 200+ drivers to almost 40 mechanics, from 200+ dock associates to ofice and maintenance employees....and don't forget the abundance of red shirts.

Yep, it's me. I mixed a little levity in my post but I do want the thread to stay on topic. CT implies that it's the Ole Timers fault. I would guess it would be the exact opposite. I'm sure the company has statistics that shows the age range of each incident. My bet is the youngsters make up the majority of safety issues.
Oddly enough it is the older drivers that have the more severe accidents, most of the younger drivers have more / less serious accidents.

Oddly enough it is the older drivers that have the more severe accidents, most of the younger drivers have more / less serious accidents.
I could see that. I would like to see some numbers in the industry to get a better perspective of who's actually doing what. I think complacency could be a factor in older drivers.

scaled.php

Speaking of safety. I heard a dock worker got killed at the Buffalo NY center by a fork lift. Any word on how it happened?

His name was Earl Reese.He was a great man and will be missed by everyone.Earl went into a strip trailer to help some guys recoup a skid that was blown out . A 1300 lb crate was standing on end in the nose came down and crushed him.My guess his head took the blunt of the force. His back was turned so he never saw it coming.It was a freak accident that can happen anywhere at any time.Standing such a heavy crate uo on end is never good idea no matter how well you secure it . But we all know how things get loaded on the dock. It doesnt matter what company you work for To read his story google Earl Reese go fund me and the Buffalo News just did a great article on him this week.

Yep, it's me. I mixed a little levity in my post but I do want the thread to stay on topic. CT implies that it's the Ole Timers fault. I would guess it would be the exact opposite. I'm sure the company has statistics that shows the age range of each incident. My bet is the youngsters make up the majority of safety issues.

Not at my center, no one under 40 has got hurt since i have been here.

His name was Earl Reese.He was a great man and will be missed by everyone.Earl went into a strip trailer to help some guys recoup a skid that was blown out . A 1300 lb crate was standing on end in the nose came down and crushed him.My guess his head took the blunt of the force. His back was turned so he never saw it coming.It was a freak accident that can happen anywhere at any time.Standing such a heavy crate uo on end is never good idea no matter how well you secure it . But we all know how things get loaded on the dock. It doesnt matter what company you work for To read his story google Earl Reese go fund me and the Buffalo News just did a great article on him this week.
Man, that is horrible news...

It feels a little inappropriate to harp on how it could have been prevented, other than to say, "going forward, think about the next person" who must handle the freight...

Our original goal was 120 days and then lowered to 100. I heard the Dallas area has a special goal of 30 days injury free going on right now with a special food prize. I think it would be nice to have some clarity on what the actual goal numbers are. Swamp mentioned 90 & 180 days plus the 100 & 120 days by me. How many different goals are there? Is the Dallas area 30 day goal a trial to roll out to the company? Our size is probably near 150 drivers. We are usually pretty safe with only a few injuries a year netting us 2 safety cookouts a year average.

At our Hub we can't even reach the 90 day goal, it seems like every two weeks the red flag goes up out front!! To our defense though, we have a large contingent of employees from 200+ drivers to almost 40 mechanics, from 200+ dock associates to ofice and maintenance employees....and don't forget the abundance of red shirts.
It seems to be a much more achievable goal at smaller centers. The difference in "man hours worked" is astronomical...

Unless the goal is within reach, with some expectation of success, most won't even think about it. The purpose, I think, is to get people talking about it, thinking about it, and watching out for unsafe conditions, in order to correct and educate through peer pressure.

It seems to be a much more achievable goal at smaller centers. The difference in "man hours worked" is astronomical...

Unless the goal is within reach, with some expectation of success, most won't even think about it. The purpose, I think, is to get people talking about it, thinking about it, and watching out for unsafe conditions, in order to correct and educate through peer pressure.
Have you guys ever had a safety committee consisting of drivers and dock personnel?

Agreed.

Even with the size of our center, I feel the 90 day goal should be attainable but I also think most don't even think about the goal/prize but rather go through their daily routines and let whatever happens, happen.

IMO, being safe has to be incorporated into one's lifestyle and unless some are willing to change their lifestyles (which most people don't like change), I personally don't see us making our goals.