FedEx Freight | Safe Workplace/Safe Driving Programs

One "flaw" is how the increased goal is factored in. The new goal is double, in our case. Even after an event triggers the clock to be reset, the higher (180 day) target remains. Many didn't even work here when the original 90 days was met, nearly 2 years ago. To them (us), 6 months seems a bit far fetched.

Our original goal was 120 days and then lowered to 100. I heard the Dallas area has a special goal of 30 days injury free going on right now with a special food prize. I think it would be nice to have some clarity on what the actual goal numbers are. Swamp mentioned 90 & 180 days plus the 100 & 120 days by me. How many different goals are there? Is the Dallas area 30 day goal a trial to roll out to the company? Our size is probably near 150 drivers. We are usually pretty safe with only a few injuries a year netting us 2 safety cookouts a year average.
Good points, Point.

During a conversation with Safety on this topic, it was suggested that the local Center had determined the timeline required. That hints at "center discretion" in the matter. That also helps us understand the variety of answers, depending on who you ask.

What about Driver Safety programs?

We have several elements in play. Not all are known to everyone, or promoted to any large degree. Some provide recognition, some provide incentive, while others are meant to educate. Are they promoted sufficiently? Are they effective? Could they be improved? Is there something missing?

I'd like to hear other's thoughts before "going there"... Think about it. You have the floor.

Last edited:
What about Driver Safety programs?

We have several elements in play. Not all are known to everyone, or promoted to any large degree. Some provide recognition, some provide incentive, while others are meant to educate. Are they promoted sufficiently? Are they effective? Could they be improved? Is there something missing?

I'd like to hear other's thoughts before "going there"... Think about it. You have the floor.

What you think about going back to the safety award program? Some of the gift choices were really nice. Maybe improve or change the items that were on there. Also would like to see some changes on the injury clock format not sure what yet. Maybe make the reward somewhat more obtainable hard for some large centers to meet the 80 day goal. Just some food for thought.

Last edited:
What you think about going back to the safety award program? Some of the gift choices were really nice. Maybe improve or change the items that were on there. Also would like to see some changes on the injury clock format not sure what yet. Maybe make the reward somewhat more obtainable hard for some large centers to meet the 80 day goal. Just some food for thought.
I'm glad you mentioned that, citydog. I was wondering what happened to that program, I even asked (your M. Director)if the program still existed. I was assured that it does still exist. At least it is thought to still be an active program.

I remember it well. You could either spend your points on something "cheaper", like a mag-lite, or something of similar value, or you could save your points for something better. I can't remember the last time I've seen or been able to order a reward. Has anyone seen a safety reward catalog, recently? Was the program quietly disbanded?

I know the "years of service" reward catalog still exists. I just ordered something from that one.

I'm glad you mentioned that, citydog. I was wondering what happened to that program, I even asked (your M. Director)if the program still existed. I was assured that it does still exist. At least it is thought to still be an active program.

I remember it well. You could either spend your points on something "cheaper", like a mag-lite, or something of similar value, or you could save your points for something better. I can't remember the last time I've seen or been able to order a reward. Has anyone seen a safety reward catalog, recently? Was the program quietly disbanded?

I know the "years of service" reward catalog still exists. I just ordered something from that one.
Nope that award program was done away with, don't remember exactly when, but do remember being told to use up all your points as the program was going away.

I'm having a serious problem sympathizing with this thread. SAFETY FIRST! Slow the hell down and be safe. There is no point to working or driving unsafely.

ST (Safe Trucker)

I'm having a serious problem sympathizing with this thread. SAFETY FIRST! Slow the hell down and be safe. There is no point to working or driving unsafely.

ST (Safe Trucker)

ST, no one is looking for sympathy. It's more about awareness and a reminder to be safe 1st. Even efficiency comes 2nd.

Not sure, but I think you are "of significant age". You have likely learned a bit through the years. Sharing what has been learned can help others.

Short analogy:

2 dogs. One (Lucky) has a "near miss" or two while crossing the road. If he's smart, he learns something. Education teaches him what to avoid and where to exercise caution. The near miss (education) saved that dogs life.

Another Dog never has that near miss, he doesn't get the education it provides. He proceeds with zero caution, unaware of the danger. He eventually gets run over and killed. Never saw it coming.

Moral of the story: Be thankful for the near miss (education), it just might save your life.

What about driver safety programs?

Since the annual reward points program was eliminated, is anyone aware of the remaining program(s)?

Before going too deep into how to improve, we need to refresh on what the current milestones. Anyone have that info handy? I don't want to put any false info out there.

In addition to the milestones, clearly the Truck Driving Championships are a huge incentive, for those who participate.

Last edited:
We can talk safety all we want and I'm all for it.. But when you have a Supervisor, That runs the dock stand, On the hub at STL, threatening dockworkers with insubordination if they don't move bills. It's hard to get them to understand safety 1st.. Have lost count how many times that I have almost been hit by a forklift..

We can talk safety all we want and I'm all for it.. But when you have a Supervisor, That runs the dock stand, On the hub at STL, threatening dockworkers with insubordination if they don't move bills. It's hard to get them to understand safety 1st.. Have lost count how many times that I have almost been hit by a forklift..

Sorry to hear that, but I'm glad you brought it up. It is important to know there is a phone call you can make. You can call the FedEx Alert Line and report your concerns. You can give them your name or remain anonymous. They will write down everything you say, then send it in. You will be given a code to check back for an official reply. H/R and/or Safety will have to follow up on the matter. The complaint, action taken, results etc. are documented. If the concern is valid and/or can be corroborated, the situation will be corrected. If others are affected, they too should call.

http://investors.fedex.com/governance-and-citizenship/policies/fedex-alert-line/

Sometimes a conversation with H/R or safety is all that is necessary. Sometimes there needs to be a more thorough and documented account, as well as education for the offender. The alert line provides the latter. Call soon, before someone gets hurt.

Well, I did find this in plain view:

Flgh3HZ.jpg