SAIA | Safety First

I heard indy breaks ground on a new terminal first of the yr..can anybody confirm that rumor

Can't confirm, but may explain the disappearance of the paving equipment and lack of patching. That probably explains why a hostler needed to squeeze behind me as I backed a trailer in a yard hole.

Last edited:
Rob Bulick said a while back that they have been looking for a new place for Indy for a while. Last time I was there, couple of the Indy guys were saying their terminal manager said they would be getting a new terminal next year. Hope it pans out, because IND is one of the most undersized break terminals I've been to so far. KCY is just as bad but they are expanding at least.

To be a TRUE crater it must be at least 2 feet deep and 4 feet wide according to the Train guidelines. Must be able to give you whiplash at 5 mph and bounce you at least 2" off your seat. :hilarious:

To be a TRUE crater it must be at least 2 feet deep and 4 feet wide according to the Train guidelines. Must be able to give you whiplash at 5 mph and bounce you at least 2" off your seat. :hilarious:

Oh I think it's at least 12 feet deep in some spots. First time I ever went to Indy it was raining and the crater was full of water so I didn't know it was there and rolled over it at about 8 mph. Bashed my head on the cab ceiling and I guarantee the freight in the front trailer was all laying on it's side after that. Ouch.

Anybody been to the Houma, La terminal. Several years ago, I visited with a set of pups. It had been raining and the area, were you dropped your rear pup, had standing water on it but it was hard shell so I dropped the pup with no problem unless you count my now sodden shoes and the ankle high wet trousers a problem. Little did I know that I was just getting started. The dolly drop area had standing water on it. The water level on my trousers went a little higher. Then I docked my lead trailer, got out to crank the legs down, and then I saw that the ground that I was dropping the legs onto was 2 circles of water. I looked at the other pups and saw that their legs was standing in a similar situation. At that point, I realized that it was just another post rain normal day in Houma, cranked those legs down and went to the hotel.

Anybody been to the Houma, La terminal. Several years ago, I visited with a set of pups. It had been raining and the area, were you dropped your rear pup, had standing water on it but it was hard shell so I dropped the pup with no problem unless you count my now sodden shoes and the ankle high wet trousers a problem. Little did I know that I was just getting started. The dolly drop area had standing water on it. The water level on my trousers went a little higher. Then I docked my lead trailer, got out to crank the legs down, and then I saw that the ground that I was dropping the legs onto was 2 circles of water. I looked at the other pups and saw that their legs was standing in a similar situation. At that point, I realized that it was just another post rain normal day in Houma, cranked those legs down and went to the hotel.

That's the condition that most of the Midwest terminals are in right now. Too small, old, run down, beat up and too far apart to facilitate any freight growth.